Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2021, 07:24 AM   #1

Dometic AC/Thermostat issues

I have a 2021 Freedom Express with the Dometic rooftop AC unit, and I haven’t had any problems out of it until the last two nights camping. It has ran pretty much all day on about 70 and then when we turn in for the night I turn it to 68. We have woken up the late night/early morning the last two nights to no AC Running and the temp inside about 73. I ran the fan in high for an hour or so the first night and then turned the AC to auto and it ran fine until last night. I tried the same thing but got no response from the unit. I flipped breakers and tried to cycle the fan on and off but no luck, then it finally just snapped out of it and started working. Unit seems to run fine and keep the camper Cool when it’s running so maybe I’m having thermostat issues? Advice please
1golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1golfer View Post
I have a 2021 Freedom Express with the Dometic rooftop AC unit, and I haven’t had any problems out of it until the last two nights camping. It has ran pretty much all day on about 70 and then when we turn in for the night I turn it to 68. We have woken up the late night/early morning the last two nights to no AC Running and the temp inside about 73. I ran the fan in high for an hour or so the first night and then turned the AC to auto and it ran fine until last night. I tried the same thing but got no response from the unit. I flipped breakers and tried to cycle the fan on and off but no luck, then it finally just snapped out of it and started working. Unit seems to run fine and keep the camper Cool when it’s running so maybe I’m having thermostat issues? Advice please
If you have the dometic 3 wire thermostat this is the only thermostat I've found that is plug and play. It's expensive but has good reviews.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...-rv-thermostat
Old 06-26-2021, 08:19 AM   #3

see if the wires that run through the wall (bell wire solid conductor) are pulling out of the crimps up under the AC grill. A loose wire in a crimp can cause intermittent issues
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #4
Site Team

If it's the Dometic single zone thermostat you can initialize it and it could help the issue.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If it's the Dometic single zone thermostat you can initialize it and it could help the issue.

I actually did that a little while ago so only time will tell, thanks!!
Old 07-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #6

Mine has started doing the same thing. If I turn off the breaker and leave it it still doesn’t work when I power it back up but if I take the thermostat touch pad off and plug it up a couple times it starts working for about 24 more hours and does it again.
Scott bzgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott bzgenius View Post
Mine has started doing the same thing. If I turn off the breaker and leave it it still doesn’t work when I power it back up but if I take the thermostat touch pad off and plug it up a couple times it starts working for about 24 more hours and does it again.

Our last night at our last camp, we ran the fan on high all day/night instead of auto and it was plenty cold enough. That being said, I went ahead and bought the micro-air somebody suggested above, and we are at our first night of using it right now actually. Been running on high for several hours and it’s cold in the camper, may not even try the auto setting [emoji23]
Old 07-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #8

Similar issue here.

I have a 2018 FR Vibe 313BHS. 2 ac's, the one in the bunkhouse is a direct system with no thermostat, it works fine. The main unit a 15k will blow cold, but it will not do what the thermostat is set to. example we set it to 72 during the day, it feels ok, but again it never gets to 72, my ir thermometer will say it 74-76 but usually this is after we come in from outside 90+ degree's and it feels good anyway. But at night we lower the temp to 68. The unit still only cools to 74-76 like the unit itself doesn't adhere to the settings on the thermostat. it will shut off for half an hour or more at night and kick back on when it is 78-80. and cool to 74ish again and shut off. The wall thermostat is set to 68. it feels like the RTU is working off an internal thermostat rather than the wall one.

Thoughts?
MikeinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:53 AM   #9

We are new to the RV world and recently purchased a used RV. We have two heating/fan issues in our 2015 FR Crusader Light which we believe are caused by a faulty Dometic thermostat: when the thermostat is set to the Furnace mode, furnace is only activated about one in every four days...furnace does not start up (thankfully night time temps are only in the low 50's); the AC unit fan always runs when the thermostat is set to the Furnace mode.
Do we need to purchase a new thermostat?
Burns WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns WY View Post
We are new to the RV world and recently purchased a used RV. We have two heating/fan issues in our 2015 FR Crusader Light which we believe are caused by a faulty Dometic thermostat: when the thermostat is set to the Furnace mode, furnace is only activated about one in every four days...furnace does not start up (thankfully night time temps are only in the low 50's); the AC unit fan always runs when the thermostat is set to the Furnace mode.
Do we need to purchase a new thermostat?
Turn the fan setting to Auto. This will turn off the AC fan when furnace is on.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:10 PM   #11

Quote:
I believe it is freezing up at night, mine does the same thing. If you upgrade to the micro-air thermostat like I just did, didn't change the outcome but it tells you it is the issue.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
I believe it is freezing up at night, mine does the same thing. If you upgrade to the micro-air thermostat like I just did, didn't change the outcome but it tells you it is the issue.

Yep, I found that out so I just run the fan on high all night. It sure is nice to be able to adjust the thermostat from my phone now tho [emoji23]
Old 09-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Yep, I found that out so I just run the fan on high all night. It sure is nice to be able to adjust the thermostat from my phone now tho [emoji23]
I can adjust from my phone with bluetooth but never got the wifi option to work.

Tags
dometic, thermostat