Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #21

AC will sometimes freeze up if the fan is run on LOW.

-- Chuck
Old 10-06-2021, 11:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
To the OP, you mentioned the fan continued to run with the fan set to low speed even when the compressor would turn off, that I would expect, does the fan shut off when it's set to auto? Also as I would expect, similar to a house HVAC...

My A/C fan does not shut off on any fan setting, auto or otherwise...

My heater does shut off when temp is reached, not the A/C

Thanks, Rick
When my AC is set to either low or high fan it does NOT shut off when the temp is reached and the compressor shuts off. If I have it set to auto then when the temp is reached the fan will turn off with the compressor. The issue I am having now is that while on either high or low setting the AC just shuts down and will not come back on until I go through all the settings on the thermostat. Kinda crazy.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
When my AC is set to either low or high fan it does NOT shut off when the temp is reached and the compressor shuts off. If I have it set to auto then when the temp is reached the fan will turn off with the compressor. The issue I am having now is that while on either high or low setting the AC just shuts down and will not come back on until I go through all the settings on the thermostat. Kinda crazy.
Thanks for that... on auto, fan generally starts on high, goes to med, then to low, the compressor shuts off but the fan continues to run... when it warms up the compressor kicks back on... and the cycle repeats so I don't believe it's freezing up...

Sorry for your issue, good luck
Toy4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:34 PM   #24

I have a 2005 American sport. Mine went out a couple times this season. Turned out to be a breaker. I bought a new one from a local hardware. Hubby came and went up on roof, took off air cover, cleaned everything off, re sealed it. Checked the thermostat, even ordered a new one to replace it. But, like I said, ended up being the breaker. The fan blew air but wasn't cold
Old 10-11-2021, 09:12 PM   #25

If the fan runs after the compressor cycles off, the breaker is working. The breaker should not be hot.
A lot of Dometic ACs are known to shut down when operated on low/AC. But, the fan and compressor shut off. OP says his fan is running?
We had (have) the low fan shutdown issue, but it runs without issue on high fan. When it shuts down on low fan, had to turn it off at the thermostat and restart. Took a couple of minutes. No ice visible.
Your thermostat could cause the problem. Is it hardwired?
If the AC is icing up, the airflow will be compromised. Might be able to look up into the unit and visualize the evaporator and if frosted up, that's a problem. If not, the thermo might not be calling for AC. Or it needs reprogramming? Or replacement?
The ice up condition will shut the AC completely down. No fan.
Our thermostat is mounted in a garage wall that is quite flimsy, and when the garage door is closed vigorously, the thermostat changes setting instantly. It would knock off the AC program or change the temp to 68*. That'll get your attention.
Next time you use the unit, after it quits, verify the fan is running and look at the thermostat and verify the "snowflake" icon is displayed. It might be switching to low fan for unknown reasons.
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
Thanks for that... on auto, fan generally starts on high, goes to med, then to low, the compressor shuts off but the fan continues to run... when it warms up the compressor kicks back on... and the cycle repeats so I don't believe it's freezing up...
Sorry for your issue, good luck
There is no medium fan speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
OP says his fan is running?
OP says his fan does not continue to run.

The fan should continue to run no matter HI or LO when compressor shuts down.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:42 PM   #27
Go Pack Go!!

To the OP- What make/model of A/C do you have? I had the exact same issue with our rear A/C running low speed for white noise during the night for kids, and the A/C would turn on but when the desired temp was reached (around 74 degrees), everything would shut off. Then, the A/C wouldn't kick on until the temp reached well over 80 degrees. There are not a lot of hits on the internet when one tries to research this issue.

Our RV tech validated those findings once I showed him several videos of the occurrences on several occasions over the summer.

They then replaced the Penguin II A/C and the thermostat under warranty (same T-Stat one you have), only to have the same results.

The TT came with a Penguin II A/C on the back of the camper, and a Brisk II on the front. With the same type of thermostat used for the front and rear A/C, we never had an issue with the front Brisk II running low speed on A/C setting. It has worked perfectly to this day without completely shutting off like the Penguin II.

After the warranties ran out, I decided to just replace my rear Penguin II with a brand new Brisk II 15,000BTU A/C (same as the front A/C) 2 years ago, and have not had an issue since. I did it myself as I had training.

What did we learn? The Dometic Penguin II does not like low speed fan activated while in A/C mode. It does not run continuously after the first A/C cycle completes.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:16 AM   #28

We have a Penguin II that we run the fan on high every night. We like the noise. Never a problem but we set our thermostat to 64. We like to sleep under covers.

Never tried low fan though.

Does yours have a remote temperature sensor? If so, I wonder if it's dirty or not working correctly.

If not, it sure sounds like a thermostat issue.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:35 AM   #29
Go Pack Go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2020 View Post
We have a Penguin II that we run the fan on high every night. We like the noise. Never a problem but we set our thermostat to 64. We like to sleep under covers.

Never tried low fan though.

Does yours have a remote temperature sensor? If so, I wonder if it's dirty or not working correctly.

If not, it sure sounds like a thermostat issue.

We do not have a remote temp sensor, and both the thermostat and A/C were individually replaced under warranty. First the thermostat, then a month later the A/C. Same issue occurred.

No issues whatsoever once I replaced the Penguin with the Brisk II.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:02 AM   #30
Branches are bricks

Been a long time since I read it, but the manual somewhere says to run AC on Auto only; so the air coil does not freeze up. Definitely experienced the same thing a couple of times in the past. Live in SC so we run the AC alot. First time it went off it was set to high and learned to put it on Auto. The second time one of my guests changed it to high and same thing, AC freezes up goes off. Leaving it on auto and no problems. On first day out, when its above 95 ouside it will run and run, til early in the morning as the interior finally cools about 3-5 in the morning it will stop to briefly to do its thing then gets right back to cooling. From there on every so often it will stop and change gears and go back to working again. Always amazed how well it works when it is so hot out.
Chopnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:24 AM   #31

Thermostat

Dometic thermostats are CRAP! I replaced mine 3 times and it was still
screwy. The thermostat itself thinks its 12-14* different then it really
is in the room. Then it changes settings by itself randomly. Even changed
from AC to heat once. Couldnt trust leaving my pets unattended with the
AC on. Read the reviews on Dometic thermostats and they are all junk!
I replaced mine with a MicroAir Easy Touch and my problems went away.
Its designed as a direct replacement for Dometic and works perfectly.

SAVE YOURSELF and dont buy another Dometic!!!!!
rkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkracing View Post

Amen regarding the pets. We check on the pups regularly.
Ours changed to heat once and I promptly blamed SWMBO for playing with the thermostat--she does when using her hair dryer--but she didn't touch it. It just did it.
Another bit about the fan running. If the compressor "cycles" out as when called temp is reached, the fan continues to run. If the AC freezes up, or any error is detected, it locks out, and completely shuts off. No fan. This is what I experience when on low fan/cool. Even the thermostat goes off. AC can be immediately turned back on at the thermostat, and after about 2 minutes, takes off normally. On low fan it might run for an hour or 4 hours, but it will shut completely down in the near future. Set to high/AC, it works as expected.
The OP's complaint is different (with the fan running, yet compressor doesn't cycle back on) from my issue. OP looks like a thermostat. My issue is common but no sure fix. Replacing the thermostat typically doesn't help. The unit senses an impending compressor lock as it cycles when on low fan/AC...maybe? I read that low fan draws slightly more amps than hi fan...dunno. catching cycling loads would ID.
Our Brisk Air II 13.5 is not ideal during our common 100* NC days. A Penguin heat pump 15k was looking good, but Dometic has been a disappointment, so far, this year.
We had 2 Penguins HPs on our last MH and they were ideal.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #33

My thermostat looked just like yours and I had a similar issue. The fan was set to low. It would run fine and then suddenly cut off for about 15 seconds and then come back on. I looked at the wiring and reset the thermostat etc and the problem continued. I finally replaced the thermostat. I could not find the exact replacement, but reading reviews and the questions and answers on Amazon, I found another model single zone thermostat that would work in place of the one I had. Replacing the thermostat has, so far, taken care of the issue. Below is the link to the one I ordered on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B7J6FK9
ldstandlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldstandlee View Post
My thermostat looked just like yours and I had a similar issue. The fan was set to low. It would run fine and then suddenly cut off for about 15 seconds and then come back on. I looked at the wiring and reset the thermostat etc and the problem continued. I finally replaced the thermostat. I could not find the exact replacement, but reading reviews and the questions and answers on Amazon, I found another model single zone thermostat that would work in place of the one I had. Replacing the thermostat has, so far, taken care of the issue. Below is the link to the one I ordered on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B7J6FK9

I have that thermostat and it gives nothing but trouble. The touch contact works sometimes, and then doesn't. I have found if I take the cover off and just touch the metal contact directly it will sense the contact and change the setting. But, it will still sometimes not register the "Mode" or not change the "Temp" setting up or down. I think I need to find a more reliable brand that would be a direct replacement.
If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all eyes (internet).
FirstFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #35

Quote:

Well ain't that my kinda luck!

I looked up the MicroAir and they are located in Allentown, NJ. That is less than 10 mins from where I used to live....which as of last week is now NC.
Could have just driven over and got one before.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFiver View Post

I looked up the MicroAir and they are located in Allentown, NJ. That is less than 10 mins from where I used to live....which as of last week is now NC.

Welcome to North Carolina! It ain't perfect, but it isn't bad either.
We're quite happy down here South of Charlotte. NC/SC line.
Best!
Old 10-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
Welcome to North Carolina! It ain't perfect, but it isn't bad either.
We're quite happy down here South of Charlotte. NC/SC line.
Best!
Thank you!
I already enjoy it here after one week.

I am at the opposite corner up by Roanoke Rapids.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #38

Quote:

After looking them up I ordered one this afternoon.
Supposed to be here maybe Sat. or Monday.
Thanks for posting about MicroAir.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #39

Welcome to NC

Quote:

Welcome to NC. Raleigh here.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #40

Roanoke Rapids!

Quote:
Thank you!
I already enjoy it here after one week.

I am at the opposite corner up by Roanoke Rapids.
We go through Roanoke Rapids all the time, traveling from Raleigh to our trailer in Southampton, Virginia, just across the state line.

Ask some of the old-timers about the Randy Parton Theater debacle.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic