Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 07:02 AM   #1

Dometic Brisk Air II problems?

3rd AC in under 2 years

The link above is my original thread with this issue. Thread was started in May 2014 just prior to me having an A/C replaced in June 2014 for the 2nd time leaving me with the 3rd unit on the camper in less than 2 years. Three months after that warranty replacement in June (09/2014 labor day weekend), we were already skeptical that the unit was again showing signs of failure, but I wasnt sure because it was a humid, muggy weekend and we had a lot of bodies going in and out of the camper for a good part of the one full day at the campsite.

I used the camper once in March of this year and once more in May and it was obvious that it was not cooling as it should be able to which I confirmed by measuring the temperature delta between return and register air.

Camper purchased NEW with original AC was 11/2012, first AC replaced 10/2013, second AC replaced 06/2014, 11/2014 marks 2 years from original date of purchase, Mar-May 2015 the third AC in this camper is already ineffective under any conditions.

I have been in contact with the RV manufacturer for advise, the local authorized Dometic dealer and of course Dometic. Of course, Dometic is the only one who denies any potential problem with the Dometic product.

Just this week, when I spoke with the local RV dealer who had been doing my previous replacements, I was informed that Dometic had indeed found a "problem". There was a bulletin out earlier this year on a certain percentage of BA II 15k units which covered a time period including all of 2013, 2014 and Jan Feb Mar 2015.

I feel like its reasonable for me to continue to ask Dometic to honor these units outside of their typical warranty protocol, considering the events that have happened. Not one of these units has lasted more than 6-9 months.

Any thoughts otherwise?

Thanks, Ray

Sabre_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Any link to said bulletin?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #3

Below is the bulletin text that I copied from the site where I saw it, I saved just in case the page dissappeared, I think I stumbled onto it in an Airstream forum

Hi Folks,

I have just received a service bulletin from Dometic pertaining to their Brisk Air II roof A/C units.

Dear Valued Dometic RV Dealers,

At Dometic, we continually strive to provide you with the industry’s leading products and services and we are extremely proud of our more than 80-year history serving those enjoying a mobile lifestyle. We feel that direct communication is essential in maintaining your trust established over all these years, and thus wish to take a moment to bring you up to speed on a specific issue related to our Brisk Air II line of RV Air Conditioners.

Over the past few months, we have been working with select dealers to properly identify and diagnose a durability concern related to the evaporator coils in our Brisk Air II Air Conditioner line. This condition is not apparent on all but a select volume of the units produced since 2013 and has been covered under our warranty terms; however, the incident rate does exceed the durability and quality standards we maintain internally as well as the quality standard you have come to expect from us. As such, we would like to take a moment to clarify what the issue entails and just as importantly detail what we have done to ensure the root cause has been addressed:

Condition – Root Cause

On 3-5% of units produced with manufacture dates between 2013 and March 25th, 2015, we have discovered the supplier of evaporator coils for our Brisk Air II units had an intermittent process issue that yielded the potential for premature corrosion which could create a leak in the evaporator coil which would directly affect the cooling performance of the unit.
For the balance of the units produced during this time (95%+), the evaporator coils were manufactured properly utilizing that specified corrosion inhibiting process and thus are not subject to the issue.
This manufacturing process issue has been remedied for all units produced after March 25th, 2015.

Population Affected

Potential for condition on 3-5% of all Brisk Air II Units produced between 2013 and March 25th, 2015.

Population NOT Affected

95%+ of all Brisk Air II Units produced between 2013 and March 25th, 2015.
Brisk Air II Units produced after March 25th, 2015.
All other Dometic/Atwood lines of Air Conditioners including Penguin, HP, Coolcat, and Aircommand.

Essentially, they have identified a defect in the manufacturing process that relates to potential corrosion in the soldered joints of the evaporator section of certain Brisk Air II units made within the stated dates in the bulletin.

This defect leads directly to a potential leak of refrigerant and subsequent loss of cooling power within the unit. Since the blower motor, fan and compressor will still operate, the only way to tell if your unit has leaked refrigerant if to check the output temperature at the cold air exhaust and compare that reading to the ambient air temperature measured at the return air grill.

Both of these measurements are to be taken INSIDE the trailer with the unit running for at least 10-15 minutes. If you are not seeing an 18-22ºF drop in the measured temperature between the return air grill and the cold air exhaust (regardless of the temperature outside the trailer), you have probably experienced a refrigerant leak in the unit.

Any competent RV tech who is authorized by Dometic as a service center can then test the amperage draw of the compressor to provide the empirical data that Dometic will require to facilitate the replacement of the upper A/C unit.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:25 AM   #4

Technical Bulletin

Old 09-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
Old 09-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #6

And for what its worth, I will add that yesterday, after i got off of a call with Dometic and a contact at Palomino, I went out and took these measurements:

Outside temperature: ~85degrees
Inside temperature: 82 degrees (digital thermometer sitting on the stove directly below the return air grill)
Return air temp: 83-85
Output temperature: 75 degrees (virtually no change from start til after over 30 minutes of running, measured thru quick dump and registers, separately)

Old 09-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

RV center checked the air unit today:

After 20 minutes running
Ambient (outside): 96 degrees
Return air: 90 degrees
Output air: 83 degrees
Amps: <7

Old 10-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #8

I posted under the Sandpiper forum the same issue with my brand new 2016 Sandpiper 365 saqb. The 15k unit in the main area of the camper doesn't even begin to cool the camper off. When I visited the dealer there was a pile of them in the back of the shop. Had a Coleman on my TT that I just traded that blew ice cold. I am going back tomorrow to discuss with the dealer but am not really happy with it. There are several other post in various other forums pertaining to the Dometic Brisk Air II. ALL BAD!
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #9

I've had a new one installed for about 3 weeks now, so far so good, blows 50 degrees or lower every time it runs

Old 11-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #10

First unit in my 2015 Cherokee Limited lasted for 6 months. Second and third lasted 3 months each. Going in to the dealer next week for unit number 4. I've priced it out to change from Dometic to a Coleman and it's $245. Thinking about doing that and getting rid of Dometic forever. Unfortunately I can't do that just yet with Christmas around the corner. Guess I'll see how long the new one lasts.
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Funeral Car (Ghostbusters ECTO)
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #11

Speaking of Coleman...we have a '99 Damon DayBreak with a ducted Coleman MachIII...works great, doesn't drip. Wish I had it right now...stinkin' Dometic products are killing us.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #12

Dometic Air Conditioner

Thank you for placing the Dometic Service Bulletin on this Forum!
I have a 2014 Columbus 340RK which we bought used last spring. We winter in lower Texas and it was the first time we used our air conditioners. Our main unit runs but doesn't cool at all. Our bedroom unit cools but sounds like a freight train, so loud we can't sleep!
I copied this Service bulletin in an email to Dometic along with pictures of the corrosion on the coils and they are going to replace the unit. I just have to pay the service call.
fast1gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #13

Where can we find the manufacture date?
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #14

I found mine on a sticker inside the return air duct accessible by removing the air filter.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
I found mine on a sticker inside the return air duct accessible by removing the air filter.
[emoji651] [emoji651] [emoji651] [emoji651]
We he said
Old 01-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #16
Site Team

Suggestion

I created a small spreadsheet for all the appliances in my unit. It contains all pertinent info. Some was provided on a scribbled sheet by the dealer, but much was collected from the actual appliance data tag. This a project that can easily be accomplished on a lazy afternoon at the campground. I have make, model #, serial #, mfg date ( if available) and any other important data. I have a copy on phone and in TT. This way if I need a part or have to check a SB or recall, I don't have to uncover and scramble in the heat or cold.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #17

5th a/c unit in just over 2 years

our 2015 Coachman Freedom Express RKS 246 is now at the dealership and getting it's 5th new a/c. We finally convinced them in August of last year after having 3 different 13500 units, to install the larger 15000 Dometic. So, everything was working fine until we left for a trip in late June. When we got to the campground it appeared not to be cooling after several hours. Granted, it was probably in the mid 90s so we assumed it would just take some time. Luckily it rained and we shut the unit off. When we turned it back on (it was now at least 15 degrees cooler outside) it finally cooled down that night and was ok for the next 2 days. We get home, plug it into the outlet we had installed for it under our rv carport. (yes, the outlet is fine and has been tested) We set the temp at about 87 just to basically keep the moisture out. We'd been in and out of it over the last weeks and everything seemed to be fine until a few days ago. Noticed it was staying on and not cooling. Turned it down to 80 and still not cooling. Hubby bought a tool to test the temp coming out of the vents and it was 85 even when we had the thermostat turned down to 78. So, it went back today. The dealership as been great about replacing them all under warranty but this is ridiculous. I've emailed the owner of the dealership back in Feb of last year when we insisted on a larger unit, which we finally got in August of last year. We really thought this would fix the problem. Hubby wants to change it out for a Coleman but the dealership doesn't handle those. Sounds like we'd have to take it to Camping World and not sure we want to do that after seeing all the issues about their service. I'm glad to have found this forum and I am going to share it with hubby to see if we should show it to the service people at the dealership.
Lindaosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Suggestion

I created a small spreadsheet for all the appliances in my unit. It contains all pertinent info. Some was provided on a scribbled sheet by the dealer, but much was collected from the actual appliance data tag. This a project that can easily be accomplished on a lazy afternoon at the campground. I have make, model #, serial #, mfg date ( if available) and any other important data. I have a copy on phone and in TT. This way if I need a part or have to check a SB or recall, I don't have to uncover and scramble in the heat or cold.
X2.
Another thing I did was go online and download owners and service manuals for everything in my unit. I store them on my laptop and don't need to have the dealer supplied manuals with me if I want to research anything while at home away from my TT. You can use a tablet also, but I don't think a phone has enough storage space. I find it helpful if you want to copy some of the useful things you will come across on the forums.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic