Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2022, 08:07 PM   #1

Dometic DM2872 Question

My wife and I just purchased our new 2022 Flagstaff Microlite 22TBS Travel Trailer.

We had it out for our first time this past weekend and I have a question about the refrigerator.

Its a Dometic Model DM2872.
It is dual mode and works off propane and ac.

For towing, I want to have it set in ac mode with my propane tanks turned off.

When I turn it on to cool the day before our trip and set it in AUTO mode, I can hear the propane igniter trying to light and then after a while the check light on the panel illuminates and the panel beeps telling me the igniter senses no propane pursuant to the instruction manual.

What am I missing to be able to set it in AUTO mode and run off the batteries?

Do I just need to turn on my inverter so it runs off the batteries?

Will it always cycle through the propane ignition process before it switches over to ac mode whether hooked up to city ac or running off the batteries?

Thanks in advance!
OldCarBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:29 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

You have a bit of a puzzle and there might not be anyone with your rig that can answer that question. The specs on that rig show that it comes with a 12v fridge, but yours is a 2 way.

It may be wired to run off your inverter and if so, the inverter would have to be 'on' to make it function on the road. You may have to do your own investigation to see how it works for towing. Usually, if those 2ways are connected to ac and on 'auto', it will check first for the ac connection and if that fails, it will try to operate on propane.

If you find out how it operates for towing and if you find out, please let us know how it works.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:36 PM   #3

The 2 way fridge won’t ever run off of the batteries. It’s either 120v or LP. The 12 v wiring only goes to the control board. While traveling just run it on propane.. it’s safe. Then when on shore power ( if in AUTO mode) it will run on 120v.
dsjohns71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:49 PM   #4

What inverter? I can't imagine the little Microlite 22TBS coming with an inverter from the factory.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarBum View Post
My wife and I just purchased our new 2022 Flagstaff Microlite 22TBS Travel Trailer.

We had it out for our first time this past weekend and I have a question about the refrigerator.

Its a Dometic Model DM2872.

It is dual mode and works off propane and ac.

For towing, I want to have it set in ac mode with my propane tanks turned off.

When I turn it on to cool the day before our trip and set it in AUTO mode, I can hear the propane igniter trying to light and then after a while the check light on the panel illuminates and the panel beeps telling me the igniter senses no propane pursuant to the instruction manual.

What am I missing to be able to set it in AUTO mode and run off the batteries?

Do I just need to turn on my inverter so it runs off the batteries?

Will it always cycle through the propane ignition process before it switches over to ac mode whether hooked up to city ac or running off the batteries?

Thanks in advance!
Well, you must have ordered the 2-way fridge option because the 12v only fridge is standard.
But the website shows no such thing as an inverter. Not as standard nor as an option.
So there's no way to run the electric side on battery power, while driving. That's why it has the propane side so you can use that side while driving or camping without electricity.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...ite/22TBS/5276
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:22 PM   #6

The Dometic DM2872 is a two way refrigerator. It runs on 120VAC when you're on shore power or propane when you're not. On the road you don't have shore power and it should be switching over to propane when you unplug (mind you, the propane valve needs to be open).

Our Dometic DM2852 runs all the time on 120VAC shore power when sitting at home plugged in or at a camp with power. On the road or boondocking it's running on propane. The switchover is seamless.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Well, you must have ordered the 2-way fridge option because the 12v only fridge is standard.
But the website shows no such thing as an inverter. Not as standard nor as an option.
So there's no way to run the electric side on battery power, while driving. That's why it has the propane side so you can use that side while driving or camping without electricity.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...ite/22TBS/5276
Our 22TBS has the 2-way fridge option and included a WFCO WF-5110RS 1000 watt true sine wave inverter.
So my question is, would the ac side of the fridge run off the batteries with the inverter on while driving.
OldCarBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:33 AM   #8

Quote:
So my question is, would the ac side of the fridge run off the batteries with the inverter on while driving.
Yes, absolutely would!
Old 04-10-2022, 02:02 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Our 22TBS has the 2-way fridge option and included a WFCO WF-5110RS 1000 watt true sine wave inverter.
My apologies. The website had your inverter listed under "Exterior Features". I don't get why they listed an inverter as an Exterior Feature.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sounds as though you have concerns running your refrigerator on LP. Its been mentioned several times that's what you should do when traveling but you've repeatedly asked about running it off the inverter.

You should have no qualms about using the refrigerator on LP. It is safe.

That said, if you do want to run the refrigerator off the inverter, you will need to find a way to power the refrigerator from the inverter. It isn't likely the factory pre-wired the refrigerator outlet to be powered from the inverter so you'll need to either rewire that circuit or unplug the refrigerator from the outlet it is currently plugged into and run an extension cord from it to the inverter.

Bear in mind, inverting 12v to 120v is not a very efficient way to power the refrigerator compared to running it off LP.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Sounds as though you have concerns running your refrigerator on LP. Its been mentioned several times that's what you should do when traveling but you've repeatedly asked about running it off the inverter.

You should have no qualms about using the refrigerator on LP. It is safe.

That said, if you do want to run the refrigerator off the inverter, you will need to find a way to power the refrigerator from the inverter. It isn't likely the factory pre-wired the refrigerator outlet to be powered from the inverter so you'll need to either rewire that circuit or unplug the refrigerator from the outlet it is currently plugged into and run an extension cord from it to the inverter.

Bear in mind, inverting 12v to 120v is not a very efficient way to power the refrigerator compared to running it off LP.
I agree. I was thinking that if you have a 2-way refrigerator, it makes very little sense to have the inverter power the refrigerator. It's designed so that if you have shore or generator power available, it runs from that. If you do not have an external source of 110 AC power available, then it runs from propane. The inverter is there to power the important stuff, like the TV.

Tags
dometic, question