Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Dometic DMR702 Working but not cooling. Happy Ending?

My story... We were camping. We go once a month somewhere close so we can still work, if we have to. We have a small wedding chapel. I had 3 weddings that day. I called to check in with my wife. She informed me that our refrigerator wasn't cooling. It was a hot day, in the mid 90's. I figured that was the cause. She said butter was melting and the inside felt warm. Dread came over me.
I ask her to switch the frige over to LP, she replied it's already on LP. When I set up camp I had check it to be sure it had automatically switched back to electric.
I stopped by the house and picked up a big cooler and went back to the grocery store. All the parrishibles in the refrigerator were ruined.
I started combing through all the threads on every page I could find. Did all the easy fixes and none worked. We made it through our 5 day camping trip by purchasing bags of ice. It was like 25 years ago when we tent camped.
Today I finally had time to try some last ditch efforts before having to take it in.
Here were my symptoms. The refrigerator turned on and went straight to LP. Gas fired up and in a few minutes the cooling fans came on. No cooling in freezer or frige at all. I disconnect all electrical and pulled my disconnect switch. No power to the camper at all. I waited 10 minutes. After that I turned everything back on. Turned the refrigerator on and instead of going straight to gas it went to automatic mode. I was excited about that. I waited 2 hours. The refrigerator cooling fans were buzzing away but the units was still warm in the freezer and frige.
Came back and read a thread on a Norcold site. One of their contributors said to check all the breakers. I had already done that but I figured I would try it again. I thought what the heck I'll switch off the main breakers, 50amp.
turned the refrigerator back on. It went strait to auto again. I went back in the house to catch up on work stuff. 4 hours later I went out and checked. Freezer temp 7° Refrigerator 64°.
Not sure if it was just dumb luck or if I "rebooted" the system or what? I will let it run 24 hours and see. Probably let it warm back up and do it all over again. Hopefully I can call and cancel my appointment at our local dealership.
Arkansas Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #2

UPDATE!
I switched back to LP. It lighted. I checked the flame and it seemed weak. I cleaned my orifice which was perfectly clean. I cleaned the burner pipe, which was not dirty. I did get a small amount of a sandy debris out of the flue pipe.
Put it all back together and fired it back up. Still a very weak flame. So I replaced the LP regulator for the tanks. Fired it back up and the flame was much stronger. I could hear it from 10 feet away. I then recalled that in the past when it would switch over to LP I could hear that whoosh when the flame ignited. So our fridge is working like new.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Glad you got it working. Thanks much for telling you story. It will no doubt help someone in the future.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #4

24 hours later! Freezer temp -12 Fridge Temp 28
Old 07-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #5

Thanks. I learned a lot from reading the forum and YouTube. I hope it does help someone.

Tags
cooling, dometic