Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #1

Dometic DMR792

Help! I just noticed a brown discoloration (warm to touch) line in my freezer. It is on the angled front piece. Has anyone experienced this? I am concerned from a fire issue( as it has rippled the plastic)
Model DMR702
Opzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opzman View Post
Help! I just noticed a brown discoloration (warm to touch) line in my freezer. It is on the angled front piece. Has anyone experienced this? I am concerned from a fire issue( as it has rippled the plastic)
Model DMR702
We have had the Exact same issue. Take it to your dealer immediately and have it looked at. I just had Dometic REPLACE the refrigerator for free and they had no idea what the problem was. (supposedly they hadn't seen that problem before) Well now here's another one with the same exact issue. I wonder how many more there have been or there are out there. The new one has a normal colored light in it too, not the stupid blue one.

I hope your warranty is still in effect.

As a side note this is the second replacement fridge we've gotten from Dometic. The first was in the first months of ownership the thermistor went bad. They had NO repair parts available at all and couldn't give the dealer a time frame of when they would be. Of course I pitched a fit. My dealer told me if they got no satisfaction from Dometic, that they would rob parts from a unit on their lot. Dometic did give in and supplied a new unit under warranty.
When this brown burn mark showed up and eventually the fridge stopped working on 120v and even though the 2 year warranty on the fridge was still in force, Dometic gave us another new fridge for free "on good will terms" they said. They refused to pay labor for the change out of it. I also refused to pay the labor because it was still under Dometic's and the Forest River 2nd year for $150 warranty which we paid for. Our dealer graciously did remove/install on the fridge for free. We also got 4 new wheels for free under warranty at the same time. The original wheels had started to corrode and looked terrible.
So....if you still are covered under Dometic's 2 year warranty get it to a Dometic service establishment ASAP. Heck I'd even take it to a service location if it were out of warranty and complain. Tell them all about what I just told you about mine. This obviously is not a one time occurrence now.

2013 F150 Super Cab 4x4, 3.5L ecoboost , 7700lb suspension package. 11,300 towing capacity and Max Tow package
2015 Flagstaff 8528IKWS Diamond
aquaholic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the information!! I took it back to dealer and they ordered/replaced entire unit! It was still under warranty. They told me Dometic has been seeing this issue more frequently. They told me It is a heating strip that helps control condensation. Either placed too close to plastic or wires incorrectly.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #4

DMR702

I'm glad that it has worked out well for you! I'm happy that Dometic and your dealer gave you an explanation for the problem. Dometic stonewalled me and said they didn't know what the problem was and hadn't seen it before.
Mine was replaced a month ago so it's not like there was a long period of time between our failures. That being said, maybe they learned something from mine after it was sent back to them and they used that info to help you out.

I'm extremely pleased with my dealer for the way they've worked for me. They've been fantastic from the purchase negotiations all the way through several warranty repairs. It appears your dealer is doing right by you too.

I need to keep tabs on this problem with this model refrigerator. One of my brothers and a friend both have the same model.

May you have many happy journeys!

2013 F150 Super Cab 4x4, 3.5L ecoboost , 7700lb suspension package. 11,300 towing capacity and Max Tow package
Old 02-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #5

Picture of brown burn stripe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0807161930a.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	129697

I hope this shows up so everyone can see the problem.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #6

It did. That is exactly what mine looked like...
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1486946263.853274.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  76.1 KB
Old 02-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #7

Funny thing..........

I'm sorry that you had problems with yours too, but it does make me feel better that I'm not alone. Usually I'm the guy that has the one unit out of 10,000 that breaks. My wife thinks the universe has chosen me to be the universal product crash test dummy and I always get the faulty product

Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #8

Get it replaced! I had done same problem and dometic sent me a brand new refrigerator. Faulty heat strip.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote