Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2022, 01:24 PM   #1

Dometic Fridge DM2852 2 problems

Problem one! This fridge only has On/Off switch, and gas switch, plus an Auto led light and a Check led light. Recently had a problem where fridge stopped working on 120 volts and automatically switched over to gas without me knowing it. Gas tank went empty and fridge quit, ruining contents of freezer eventually. Had I known 120 was not working I could have corrected the problem earlier. Once the gas runs out the Check light turns on and blinks but if trailer is unattended for several days this can go unnoticed. Is there a way to tell at a glance the electric side of fridge is not working?

Problem two! After troubleshooting the fridge and determining it was the lower control board as there was no 120 coming out to energize the heater element I purchased a new board. Installed it and everything worked great for about a month. Same problem occurred so got an RV technician to come look and he surmised it was a bad board as all checks indicating that way. Installed another board this morning and same result right off the bat. Pulled the heater wires off to check ohms (45 omhs) and found there was 120 coming out of the two pins to the element. Put wires back on and all seems to be working fine. Original board and first new one had no current on these pinouts. Third board acted the same way initially but straightened itself out when I was pulling wires off. Has anyone ever experienced a similar set of circumstances. In order to check to make sure it is still running on 120 I have to go outside the trailer and listen to tell if propane burner is on or not.
Sorry this was long, but frustrating to say the least.
2012 FR Wildcat 313 5er
2016 RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi
Holmes2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes2016 View Post
Had I known 120 was not working I could have corrected the problem earlier. Once the gas runs out the Check light turns on and blinks but if trailer is unattended for several days this can go unnoticed. Is there a way to tell at a glance the electric side of fridge is not working?
As to your first problem, I don't think there is any way to tell if you're not opening the refrigerator and checking the lights. Even if you had a refrigerator thermometer with an alarm on it to alert to low temp, you couldn't hear it if you're not there.
If you're leaving it for several days, don't leave anything perishable in it and turn off the propane so that you don't come back to empty tanks.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:57 PM   #3

Thanks but the light comes on in my fridge on both gas and 120 because it is 12 volt. I can be in my trailer in a campground plugged into shorepower and if the electric side of my fridge quits the gas just takes over without any indication. Some models of fridges have a light that shows what power source it is using. Mine doesn't so I was wondering if there is something I am missing or my fridge is not doing to warn me.
2012 FR Wildcat 313 5er
2016 RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi
Old 08-10-2022, 10:11 PM   #4

Just another thought on problem number two. I pulled the eyebrow off the front of fridge to see if there was anything obviously wrong with it. The wiring is pretty simple on this small circuit board but I did wiggle and operate the Gas only switch several times before I went back to lower control board and reconnected the heater element and then found the system to be operating correctly. I am now thinking, is it possible the gas switch on the eyebrow is faulty and is sticking on even though it shows as being off. My tampering with it may have possibly unstuck it. If anyone else has experienced this I would sure appreciate hearing about it.
2012 FR Wildcat 313 5er
2016 RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi

Tags
dometic, fridge