Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #1

Dometic fridge keeps kicking off the breaker

We have a 2006 Forest River Surveyor 235RS what we purchsed used a couple months ago. We are slowing figuring things out but this one has us baffled.

We plug in the unit to the house the day before to cool down the fridge. It runs fine all day long and then sometime overnight the breaker will trip off. Same thing happens when we are out camping - runs fine for several hours and then it pops the breaker off.

When we try to put the breaker back on, it keeps popping back off. It sounds like it clicks outside to where the cover to the water heater is, but we haven't even turned the water heater on. But randomly after sitting a bit, and sometimes turning the GFI breaker off, it will come back on.

Any ideas? The fridge is model RM2652.
jl2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #2

If you are running it in auto what you might here is the gas lighting due to lack of 110. Are you sure its the fridge that is poping the breaker?
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

Well I guess I am not positive that it is the fridge, but the penciled in name on the breaker that pops off says refrigerator and it turns the check light on.
We did not have the gas on as we haven't ran anything on propane. Haven't turned on hot water heater etc.
When we plug in the camper, I just hit the On button and it stays on. When the breaker pops off, the check light also comes on so both buttons lit up and the fridge quits running.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #4

Sorry I misunderstood which breaker is kicking. Sounds like you have a short in the fridge. If you turn your gas on you should be able to run on that for now. Perhaps one of the more knoledgeable members will drop by but I would pop the cover off and look for something obvious (water, etc). Otherwise it could be a bad heating element.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

Should be able to unplug the fridge outside from 120v. Plug in something else, e.g. Light. If the circuit breaker does not trip you have an issue with your fridge, likely control board as the AC is relatively simple.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #6

It worked fine plugged in direct to current, so I guess that means it is electrical. Oh boy - guess this may cost us some money.

Tags
breaker, dometic, fridge