Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #1

Dometic fridge not working on Propane

We have a 2016 Sunseeker RV with a Dometic 2652 2 way Fridge. When the unit is plugged in to 110v the fridge works normal but when switched over to propane the check light come on shortly after.

I have checked the following:

-LP is full and there is gas at the valve in the fridge compartment. (i loosen the flared gas line and smelled propane).
-Tested for 12volt with a multimeter and got 12.3v at the connector, both sides of overheat switch,both sides of the glass fuse on the main board and J5.
-Checked with an ohm meter that both fuses are good on the main board.
-When the 12v is connected I am getting a click from a relay on the board but no attempt to light the igniter, no tick tick tick.
-I am getting 12v power on the P3 plug on the board which sends power to the gas solenoid for about 3 seconds then it goes off.
-Using my ohmmeter across both terminals on the gas valve I am getting 19.3 K Ohms.

Question 1: If I apply a ground and 12v to the gas valve should I hear it 'click' or is it silent?

Question 2: Does it attempt to spark the igniter and open the gas valve at the same time or does one happen before the other?

Question 3: I have inspected the electrode igniter and it looks good, no breaks in the wire and I tested with an ohm meter for continuity. What should the reading be on an ohm meter?

I don't like to throw parts at the problem but it appears to be either a gas valve issue ($199) or an electrode igniter issue ($79). But I am not 100% certain.

Has anyone had experience with this?
Justntyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Team

If the fridge has not been run on propane for a while it is possible you need to purge the lines by running the stove for a minute or two. Also if the fridge was on auto or gas and not connected to shore power and gas off, it may have tried to light and gone into fail safe after several tries. To reset it, remove the 12V fuse for the fridge wait a minute or two reinsert and try again.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #3

Hello Foybob.

The fridge hadn’t been used for the winter but I cycled it through 7-8 times just in case it needed to be purged. As I mentioned in the post I even loosen the flares but on the gas valve to ensure gas was coming through the line,
Thanks for the suggestion of the fuse. I had disconnected the 12v power as it comes into the fridge a few times hoping to reset it but it still does not spark on LP.
Justntyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
2012 Solera

My experience with a failed gas valve solenoid:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ed-183221.html

Memory is that mine also did not “click” the igniter with the bad solenoid. 19.3 K ohms on the gas solenoid sounds very high to me, but I have no data. Believe mine when bad measured “infinity”.
edit: The solenoid coil on the picture of the part on the Dyer’s site says “12V 2.5W” - that would be ~60 ohms. Believe your solenoid coil is bad.

Dyer’s RV appears to still carry the part I bought - $70 + shipping :
https://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-...-assembly.html

(Believe I paid $50 + $10 shipping a few years ago.)

FYI
Jim
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #5

Fridge not working on propane

I haven't seen this answer yet...The "fire chamber" where the ignition takes place could be dirty and need cleaning. Could be clogged with spider webs or carbon. This is a normal occurance for gas powered fridges. You need a small bottle=type brush and also know how to disassemble it. Check out "How To" for Dometic Refrigerators.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #6

This diagnostic document may help you.

Says the gas valve should be 49 ohms +/- 10% (pg 11).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Refrigerator Diagnostic Service Manual.pdf (2.42 MB, 588 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
My bet would be on the solenoid, sometimes they click, but they don't throw. I had propane "everything" when I lived on the boat and it is all pretty simple to take apart, clean, and reassemble. Clearly, you've got skills so I'd try that first.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge, propane