Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 09:13 PM   #1

Question Dometic fridge not working on propane or electic

Hello, this is my first post so thank you in advance for any insight you might provide.

I have a 2017 Rockwood 2608 Ultra-lite TT with a Dometic fridge (DMR702). When I parked the rig at a campground and started setting up, I realized that the fridge wasn't working (the panel lights were flashing). In searching the Dometic user's manual, the lights flashing indicates the specific error. In this case, the 2 lights which are flashing coincides with the error (according to the user's manual):
• Overheating thermostat is disconnected.
• The cooling unit has been overheated. Service is required.

The fridge doesn't work on propane/battery nor electric/shore power. The control panel flashes but it's not cooling at all.

At the same time, I also noticed that one of my fuses (not on the fridge) was blown. It's a 15amp that controls the lights and fans in the bathroom and bedroom. The 15amp fuse blows every time I replace it when I flip one of the breaker switches. The specific breaker that blows it is labeled "Conv.".

I'm pretty sure that the 2 issues are connected and that it's something with the electrical, but I'm no electrician. I do know that the fuses on the back side of the fridge are OK - I tested them. I also called one of the dometic customer service (not super helpful, except they sent me the user's manual) and I called one of the certified "service centers" listed on their site and did some troubleshooting with him on the phone - he had no clue of the issue. The thermofuse wasn't tripped - he had me check that.

Since the breaker that keeps blowing the 15amp fuse is labeled "Conv", does this sound like a converter issue, and it's affecting the fridge as well?

Currently, I'm in NM and the only nearby RV repair place is booked thru end of July.
Beth7295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #2

Yep, sounds like it could be a converter related problem if the fuse is labeled correctly. Could be a bad converter, could be a short, I've heard a bad battery cell can cause this symptom (blown fuse). Sounds like more time than I would to spend diagnosing on the road.
Where in NM? If you are at or near a hosted RV park, ask for numbers for mobile RV repair services.
If in southern NM (Las Cruces area) call Affordable RV and Marine Service. https://arvmarine.com/
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:07 PM   #3

Dometic fridge not working on propane or electic

Check this thread out....especially what cowracer says.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ms-137508.html
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Yep, sounds like it could be a converter related problem if the fuse is labeled correctly. Could be a bad converter, could be a short, I've heard a bad battery cell can cause this symptom (blown fuse). Sounds like more time than I would to spend diagnosing on the road.
Where in NM? If you are at or near a hosted RV park, ask for numbers for mobile RV repair services.
If in southern NM (Las Cruces area) call Affordable RV and Marine Service. https://arvmarine.com/
Couldn't agree more about trying to troubleshoot the issue on my own. I'm in Carlsbad and the Dometic RV repair place can't see me until July 19. There's a mobile person here in Carlsbad also, but he's booked (referral from the camp host). It looks like Las Cruces is a bit out of the way unfortunately. I'm headed to Albuquerque on Sunday so I'm hoping for better luck there. I'm going to call ahead tomorrow and search for someone who can take a look. Thank you for the info!
Old 06-28-2019, 12:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Check this thread out....especially what cowracer says.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ms-137508.html
Thank you!! I checked it out and I found the part he's referencing (I think). I just don't know exactly how to test it like he did. But it's a start....

Assuming this is my issue as well, do you think that a bad converter could cause this thermal cutoff fuse to go? Or a bad battery? I'm still thinking that the fridge and the 15amp fuse are related. Both happened at the same time, and this 15amp fuse blows every time I install a new one and flip the switch. That said, I have the battery disconnected when I replace the 15amp fuse and flip the breaker back on. This is why I was thinking converter vs. battery.

Again, thank you for pointing me to that post - I did a search prior to posting but didn't see that one. I do think this thermal cutoff fuse may be part of my issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	208413
Old 06-28-2019, 05:38 AM   #6
Site Team

It's easy to check to see if it's the thermal fuse. Just twist the fuse part so that the leads make contact. If the fridge fires up then the fuse is blown. Note: this is just a temporary test and you should not run it this way for any length of time.

I think the fridge problem and the panel fuse are coincidences.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth7295 View Post
Thank you!! I checked it out and I found the part he's referencing (I think). I just don't know exactly how to test it like he did. But it's a start....

Assuming this is my issue as well, do you think that a bad converter could cause this thermal cutoff fuse to go? Or a bad battery? I'm still thinking that the fridge and the 15amp fuse are related. Both happened at the same time, and this 15amp fuse blows every time I install a new one and flip the switch. That said, I have the battery disconnected when I replace the 15amp fuse and flip the breaker back on. This is why I was thinking converter vs. battery.

Again, thank you for pointing me to that post - I did a search prior to posting but didn't see that one. I do think this thermal cutoff fuse may be part of my issue.

Attachment 208413

I wish I had the knowledge to tell you. I was only smart enough to help you search. I would prolly be where you are. There was another google hit that had a bunch of reasons that thermal deal blows, but it had a whole bunch of useless info so I didn’t link it.

If you had a pretty decent battery charger you could turn off the converter for the most part, but if you have to buy one a replacement converter wouldn’t be twice the cost of the charger.

I will play with it some more as I get time at work. Ha ha
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #8
Site Team

It is strange that the 15A fuse blows when you turn the converter on. ( flip the COVN breaker) as distribution (fuse) panel should have 12V power from the battery even without the converter. Please try the following if you have a multimeter.
Check battery voltage with shore power disconnected.
Check battery voltage with shore power connected and that CONV breaker on.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:39 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
It is strange that the 15A fuse blows when you turn the converter on. ( flip the COVN breaker) as distribution (fuse) panel should have 12V power from the battery even without the converter. Please try the following if you have a multimeter.
Check battery voltage with shore power disconnected.
Check battery voltage with shore power connected and that CONV breaker on.
Agreed, it is very strange that flipping the AC breaker for the converter blows a 12v fuse in one circuit only. If that 12v circuit had a short, it should blow just from the battery power itself, regardless of the output from the converter.

We assume you HAVE a battery, so Flybob's advice of checking voltage is a good start.
You have to start with the basics and knowing battery condition and converter output operation is a must. You may have the 30a protection fuses blown.

What happens when you replace the 15a fuse but do not turn on the converter breaker?
Do the lights/fan in the bathroom work normally?

Do the lights/fan in the bathroom stop when the fuse is blown or removed? (just wanting to be sure it is labeled correctly)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #10

Try outside power

I would unplug the refrigerator and using an extension cord plug it into the 15 or 20 amp campsite power plug and see if it works. This won’t fix your problem but should get the frig working.
SweetOleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #11

UPDATE

So, I did what Bama Rambler suggested and twisted the two 'wire' ends together and the fridge works on propane AND shore power! Holy crap, how excited was I this morning??? YES YES YES!!! THANK YOU and thank IWANNACAMP!

I have an appointment on Sunday with a nice, (highly recommended) mobile repair guy in Albuquerque and explained that I need this specific thermal fuse replaced (he has the part and the tools, though if I had the fuse, I have the tools). I'm also having him check my converter and batteries because I still don't know why my 15amp fuse is blowing when I flip the converter breaker. I'm not touching that one for now - I'll let the repair guy test it on Sunday.

Thank you everyone who replied so quickly and with such great tips and information - you are all lifesavers in my book! And I'm sure I'll be posting more of my dilemmas on here, now that I know where to go!
Old 06-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Agreed, it is very strange that flipping the AC breaker for the converter blows a 12v fuse in one circuit only. If that 12v circuit had a short, it should blow just from the battery power itself, regardless of the output from the converter.

We assume you HAVE a battery, so Flybob's advice of checking voltage is a good start.
You have to start with the basics and knowing battery condition and converter output operation is a must. You may have the 30a protection fuses blown.

What happens when you replace the 15a fuse but do not turn on the converter breaker?
Do the lights/fan in the bathroom work normally?

Do the lights/fan in the bathroom stop when the fuse is blown or removed? (just wanting to be sure it is labeled correctly)
I will check the first one, thank you! I don't know if the lights/fan will work if I DO NOT flip the conv breaker. But no, the lights and fans do not work when the fuse is blown. And yes, I have two house batteries on the front of my rig. I said I wouldn't troubleshoot anymore until I see the mobile repair man, but now you have me all curious!! THANK YOU!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:06 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth7295 View Post
So, I did what Bama Rambler suggested and twisted the two 'wire' ends together and the fridge works on propane AND shore power! Holy crap, how excited was I this morning??? YES YES YES!!! THANK YOU and thank IWANNACAMP!

I have an appointment on Sunday with a nice, (highly recommended) mobile repair guy in Albuquerque and explained that I need this specific thermal fuse replaced (he has the part and the tools, though if I had the fuse, I have the tools). I'm also having him check my converter and batteries because I still don't know why my 15amp fuse is blowing when I flip the converter breaker. I'm not touching that one for now - I'll let the repair guy test it on Sunday.

Thank you everyone who replied so quickly and with such great tips and information - you are all lifesavers in my book! And I'm sure I'll be posting more of my dilemmas on here, now that I know where to go!
You are very welcome. I'm very glad that it worked for you.

Tags
dometic, fridge, propane