Old 12-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #1

Dometic fridge problem

I loaned out my 2006 Cardinal 31RKLE 5th wheel to a young family who had lost their home in the recent Campfire disaster here in N. Cal. It was plugged in to power at the cabinet shop he worked in and had water and sewer avail. About the second week they were in it he said the fridge had quit working on ac power but was fine on propane. They finally got relocated in permanent housing so I got my rig back yesterday. I plugged it in and turned the fridge on to Auto and the ac light is on but it's not cooling even though it's set at 5-the highest setting. I checked the breakers and fuses even though I'm getting indicator lights that tell me it has power. I also checked the little fuse in the fridge panel on the outside of the coach. As a side note, the microwave also quit working but the interior light comes on when you open the door but the front panel is dark-no clock or any other sign of life in it. Any advice? Thanks, Randy.
Itswett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itswett View Post
I loaned out my 2006 Cardinal 31RKLE 5th wheel to a young family who had lost their home in the recent Campfire disaster here in N. Cal. It was plugged in to power at the cabinet shop he worked in and had water and sewer avail. About the second week they were in it he said the fridge had quit working on ac power but was fine on propane. They finally got relocated in permanent housing so I got my rig back yesterday. I plugged it in and turned the fridge on to Auto and the ac light is on but it's not cooling even though it's set at 5-the highest setting. I checked the breakers and fuses even though I'm getting indicator lights that tell me it has power. I also checked the little fuse in the fridge panel on the outside of the coach. As a side note, the microwave also quit working but the interior light comes on when you open the door but the front panel is dark-no clock or any other sign of life in it. Any advice? Thanks, Randy.
I might want to look at the main power connection behind the fuse panel if I were comfortable with troubleshooting electrical systems. Shore and battery power disconnected of course.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Head Rambler

It could be the electric element is burned out.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

X2 to Bama Rambler's post.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #5

Or the AC power plug has fallen out of its receptacle, has been reported before...
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
I loaned out my 2006 Cardinal 31RKLE 5th wheel to a young family who had lost their home in the recent Campfire disaster here in N. Cal.
Kudos to your kindness!
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:30 AM   #7

Unfortunately, there are many possible explanations for your fridge issues. If you are at all handy, start with checking for 120 volts at every stage starting with the circuit breaker and working downstream to the connections for the 120V heating coil.

However, I'm afraid the microwave failure is related. You may have a voltage surge situation that took out both the microwave and the 120v section of the fridge control board.

just my suggestions, I hope I'm wrong and there is something very simple
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #8

My bet is on a power surge event. Two AC appliance anomalies—hopefully that is all that was affected.

Good on you-for allowing them to use your rig in such a desperate situation. Your reward will be far greater than the cost/frustration of this issue.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #9

Unhappy

Thanks for the replies/suggestions everyone. I checked the fridge plug in the access panel and my meter shows 130 volts at the receptical. The 2 fuses on the circuit board are good so I ordered a heating element that should be here in the next day or so but I'm afraid this may be the board itself. I switched the fridge back to ac power and the indicator light on the fridge lit up as it should. I took my voltmeter and checked for power at the circuit board where the heating element wires are connected but don't get any power there. The wires were still connected to the board so I should've had a reading there.
As to the microwave-haven't pursued that yet but agree with the others here that there must have been a power supply problem at some point.
Did I mention that I also found a crack at the support flange area on my black tank? I got a call one day that there was foul smelling water leaking out the bottom of the rig so after draining the tanks and removing the small access panel I discovered all the insulation was soaked with black tank water. I have one of the metal floor panels removed now so I could remove the insulation. I think I can fix the crack with some of the "as seen on tv" flex seal, reinsulate and reinstall the floor pan panel. The microwave is at the bottom of my list for now but I'll get to it. Anybody want to trade places?
Old 12-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
Site Team

Is it possible that the person who borrowed it tried to connect it to a 220V plug for a dryer or welder at the shop.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Is it possible that the person who borrowed it tried to connect it to a 220V plug for a dryer or welder at the shop.
I don't think so. I did the original hook up of power and water but a couple of days later 2 more people who lost their home also came out to the shop with RV's. My rig got connected to power with a 100' extension cord that couldn't handle the power-it was a 15 amp receptacle. Thanks for all the responses. Randy.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #12
Coach

Quote:
Did I mention that I also found a crack at the support flange area on my black tank? I got a call one day that there was foul smelling water leaking out the bottom of the rig so after draining the tanks and removing the small access panel I discovered all the insulation was soaked with black tank water. I have one of the metal floor panels removed now so I could remove the insulation. I think I can fix the crack with some of the "as seen on tv" flex seal, reinsulate and reinstall the floor pan panel. The microwave is at the bottom of my list for now but I'll get to it. Anybody want to trade places?
If possible, maybe try to epoxyweld that crack before you spray any flexseal on it? Epoxy would offer a more permanent fix and then your flexseal can be an added layer of protection.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the replies/suggestions everyone. I checked the fridge plug in the access panel and my meter shows 130 volts at the receptical. The 2 fuses on the circuit board are good so I ordered a heating element that should be here in the next day or so but I'm afraid this may be the board itself. I switched the fridge back to ac power and the indicator light on the fridge lit up as it should. I took my voltmeter and checked for power at the circuit board where the heating element wires are connected but don't get any power there. The wires were still connected to the board so I should've had a reading there.
As to the microwave-haven't pursued that yet but agree with the others here that there must have been a power supply problem at some point.
They weren't on a surge protector?
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #14
Head Rambler

Be aware that of that tank is a poly tank, almost nothing is going to stick to it. Also, if the crack is at or near the support flange, there's a lot of stress in that area and a repair may not hold if you travel with liquid in it.

As for the fridge element, you can unhook it and test it for resistance to see if it's good or not. But it does sound like the control board is the culprit.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #15

Our neighbor has gone through 3 110V Heating elements in their Dometic fridge. Same symptoms as you have. The technician is stumped as to what may be causing the elements to burn out and is reaching out to Dometic for some suggestions.
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
I don't think so. I did the original hook up of power and water but a couple of days later 2 more people who lost their home also came out to the shop with RV's. My rig got connected to power with a 100' extension cord that couldn't handle the power-it was a 15 amp receptacle. Thanks for all the responses. Randy.
This may explain the microwave issue. If it was run on a 100Ft extension cord, the voltage drop could have caused the RF section of the microwave to overheat and fail. The lower voltage would not damage the light so it would still work.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #17

Itswett said the trailer was hooked to a 100 ft extension and 15 amps. Wondering if the culprit is low voltage instead of a surge. Low voltage could have compromised the electronics of both the fridge and microwave. I'd check everything with a control board in it. Just a thought...

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:22 AM   #18
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Itswett said the trailer was hooked to a 100 ft extension and 15 amps. Wondering if the culprit is low voltage instead of a surge. Low voltage could have compromised the electronics of both the fridge and microwave. I'd check everything with a control board in it. Just a thought...

Other than the heating element of the fridge both control boards are 12vdc powered. I would think if there is damage to the 12vdc side it would start at the converter. I could be wrong.

Itswett also said "I switched the fridge back to ac power and the indicator light on the fridge lit up as it should. I took my voltmeter and checked for power at the circuit board where the heating element wires are connected but don't get any power there. The wires were still connected to the board so I should've had a reading there."

So it definitely is the rear control board that is the problem and not likely the heating element. A resistance test will verify the element is good.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #19

Thanks to everyone for your input on my electrical issues. I'll check resistance on the heating element but fear you all are right about the circuit board. I'll check availability with the local RV parts place on Monday. Would a surge protector have prevented this? I have one on order from Camping World but wonder if would've helped with low voltage? Randy.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your input on my electrical issues. I'll check resistance on the heating element but fear you all are right about the circuit board. I'll check availability with the local RV parts place on Monday. Would a surge protector have prevented this? I have one on order from Camping World but wonder if would've helped with low voltage? Randy.
A surge protector will do nothing for low voltage.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge