Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2022, 06:30 AM   #1

Dometic Fridge will not cool

So the freezer is cold, but fridge does not seem to be cooling. I kicked it over to gas this morning and it fired see if that helps.

I turned it on Wednesday, and last night it was flashing check. Opened fridge and the sliding thermostat was sitting on the shelf. Wonder if that tripped it. Shut it down for the night. Fired up this morning and after 2 hours again freezer cold and not fridge. That is when I kicked it over to gas.

Wonder if something broke, or I need a hard reset. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
ChrisMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #2

Freezer cools first, mine takes 14 hrs to cool fridge to 40s in summer temps. Putting a couple frozen water jugs help a lot..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:10 PM   #3

Fridge not cooling

I have a problem my Dometic fridge not cooling when it’s really hot outside. I ended up putting a fan controller and a couple of fans in. Here’s what I did

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2756040 Look for my post.

DS2 USN 73-79
Forest River 2020 Wildwood 171RBXL
Highinthemountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highinthemountains View Post
I have a problem my Dometic fridge not cooling when it’s really hot outside. I ended up putting a fan controller and a couple of fans in. Here’s what I did

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2756040 Look for my post.
Did that help you? It hasn't helped me at all. I have a Dometic RM3254. I noticed problems the last time I went out about 2 weeks ago when nothing inside the fridge was cold. I attributed it to the 100* days and no shade outside. That seemed to not be the problem though.

My fridge has been plugged in for a week straight now without being opened once. I'm using a wireless thermometer that I tested for accuracy before putting in the fridge. The temperature fluctuates up and down but not to anything satisfactory. I'm sitting at 6* in the freezer and 56* in the fridge. The temp is set to the coldest setting and I've tried unplugged the fridge and turned it off for over 24 hours before trying this again. Prior to this issue I was hitting my drinks with a temp gun before loading it up with food for trips and they would be in the 30s

Things I've done...

Tested the thermistor - I got no resistance reading which tells me it's bad. I've unplugged it completely and from what I've read the fridge should now be getting as cold as possible without the thermistor there to regulate it.

I installed a 12v fan inside the fridge that clamps to the fins to circulate air inside. The coldest I saw the temp of the fins was in the 40s when I still had access to the inside of the fridge. (it's a popup so I can only crawl in and turn it on and off now without hooking it up and taking setting it up on the street.)

I installed fans at the top vent on the exterior side of the fan to pull air the air out. It's getting good airflow and if I stick a paper towel to the bottom vent it will suck to it.

I'm assuming the circuit board works fine as it switches from AC/DC/LP fine. I tried it on LP and it never got any folder either. The door seal also seems to be good enough.

I'm completely stumped and out of ideas but these fridge temps are no good for food.
HFD_Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:05 PM   #5

Is there lots of condensate?

Can indicate seal leaks. I put a blinking flashlight in the fridge at night.

Problems with seals. The convoluted fancy seal on the door closes incorrectly on mine.

We now close the fridge carefully. Problem solved.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:10 PM   #6

Not that I've noticed. I don't have anything dripping out of the drip tube unless I'm defrosting it and I've mad sure to push it tight to make sure it's shut all the way. I checked with a temp gun around the whole door and didn't find any cool spots.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:17 PM   #7

It actually helped a bunch. I just came back from a trip where the flue stack temp got to 107 and the fridge kept on fridging. With the temps that high it gave me the opportunity to fine tune the fan on and off temperatures.

It sounds like you might have something else going on. When the fridge was working right, was it a lot cooler outside? Have you downloaded all of the manuals, there seems to be a few troubleshooting steps that might fit what’s going on. There were three of them that covered this model.

DS2 USN 73-79
Old 07-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highinthemountains View Post
It actually helped a bunch. I just came back from a trip where the flue stack temp got to 107 and the fridge kept on fridging. With the temps that high it gave me the opportunity to fine tune the fan on and off temperatures.

It sounds like you might have something else going on. When the fridge was working right, was it a lot cooler outside? Have you downloaded all of the manuals, there seems to be a few troubleshooting steps that might fit what’s going on. There were three of them that covered this model.
That's awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you. And yeah I believe I've looked through everything I can. I've definitely been out in some heat with the fridge working so I'm not sure the problem now. The fridge is still plugged in and running inside my garage with the internal and external fans I've added and can't get below 6* freezer and 56* fridge. It still hasn't been opened once and been going for over a week. Something is definitely wrong :/
Old 07-10-2022, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMoore View Post
So the freezer is cold, but fridge does not seem to be cooling. I kicked it over to gas this morning and it fired see if that helps.

I turned it on Wednesday, and last night it was flashing check. Opened fridge and the sliding thermostat was sitting on the shelf. Wonder if that tripped it. Shut it down for the night. Fired up this morning and after 2 hours again freezer cold and not fridge. That is when I kicked it over to gas.

Thanks
Your have to move the plastic slide up to make the fridge colder. If it is 'sitting on a shelf', it will make the fridge warmer.

Move it back to the fin.

See my post Dometic RM2652 Thermistor Adjustment fix.

I also installed a small computer fan inside the fridge with double stick tape in 2018.

Amazon: 75mm x 30mm 7530 12V Dual Ball Bearing DC Brushless Cooling Blower Fan.

It is only 0.15 amps or 3.6ah a day. The fan runs all the time on the same power as the light. I replaced the original light with a LED.

Fan wires.

Close-up over fan wires.

Our fridge stays at just above 33F.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:45 PM   #10

When you ohmed out the thermistor did, you go thru several ranges on the DVM? The manual says it’s between 7 and 10k ohms at 32 degrees.

DS2 USN 73-79
Old 07-12-2022, 07:05 AM   #11

Thermistor not easy to pull wires through for new one to be installed
Any suggestions
Dometic
Kennypatrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Your have to move the plastic slide up to make the fridge colder. If it is 'sitting on a shelf', it will make the fridge warmer.

Move it back to the fin.

See my post Dometic RM2652 Thermistor Adjustment fix.

I also installed a small computer fan inside the fridge with double stick tape in 2018.

Amazon: 75mm x 30mm 7530 12V Dual Ball Bearing DC Brushless Cooling Blower Fan.

It is only 0.15 amps or 3.6ah a day. The fan runs all the time on the same power as the light. I replaced the original light with a LED.

Fan wires.

Close-up over fan wires.

Our fridge stays at just above 33F.

The fridge light you mention you changed to led, was that a bulb change or a fixture change?
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:31 AM   #13

I was doing some searching and found this. You might want to see if anyone else has used it OR you can be adventuresome and let us know how it went��.
https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

I also saw a couple of other things pop up that might help with the wire issue when I searched for ‘changing thermistor on dometic refrigerator’

DS2 USN 73-79
Old 07-12-2022, 03:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
The fridge light you mention you changed to led, was that a bulb change or a fixture change?
Bulb. Purchased in August 2017 from Amazon (Currently unavailable).
Philips 43mm festoon Bright White Interior Vision LED light bulb

Try search '43mm festoon LED' on Amazon.

Any 41-43mm festoon LED should work. Automotive 6411 or 578 bulb.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:45 PM   #15

[QUOTE=ChrisMoore;2755797]So the freezer is cold, but fridge does not seem to be cooling. I kicked it over to gas this morning and it fired see if that helps.

Try this on Amazon. Solved our problem of cooling only to 40 degrees.
Dinosaur Electronics THERMADJUSTERDOMETIC Dometic Variable Thermistor Adjuster
Old 07-12-2022, 05:01 PM   #16

If thermistor is bad this may work for you:
https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Dom_adj.htm
OOOPs. same thing as referenced above by Aspendog

Tags
dometic, fridge