Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

Dometic plastic shelves

Our's is a 2016 Rockwood with the Dometic refrigerator/freezer with the blue lights. Can anyone figure out the value of the clear plastic shelves with square holes which are fitted OVER the normal wire shelves? It certainly wouldn't be for spills as you would have more area between the two to clean.

Once removed and a shelf repositioned, everything looks much like the 2 Dometics we've had in past units but I note there are no flip-up "gates" to keep food from sliding forward.

I read the owner's manual from Dometic cover to cover and cannot figure out why they put these in. Opinions?
Shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #2

To me this is to provide support to items stored in the refrigerator. We always placed some sort of device over wire shelves regardless if it is in the trailer or in a storage closest. Small items tend to tip over and to me the coverings support better than just wire shelves.

We have placed 1/8 LUNA board over all of the wire shelves in our home pantry to keep items from tipping over or falling thru the wire spacing.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
Our's is a 2016 Rockwood with the Dometic refrigerator/freezer with the blue lights. Can anyone figure out the value of the clear plastic shelves with square holes which are fitted OVER the normal wire shelves? It certainly wouldn't be for spills as you would have more area between the two to clean.

Once removed and a shelf repositioned, everything looks much like the 2 Dometics we've had in past units but I note there are no flip-up "gates" to keep food from sliding forward.

I read the owner's manual from Dometic cover to cover and cannot figure out why they put these in. Opinions?
As stated, they support items but with the holes, still allow for circulation.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #4

I pulled all but the bottom one over the storage tray out and threw them away. I feel it gives better cold air circulation
beachcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:00 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your opinions. We did the same as beachcamper. My opinion is the little square holes could even cause tipping. Not really a problem, anything small fits into my door shelves.
Does anyone else miss the deep vegetable bins? When cooking for a gathering, those served as "bowls" to store big pasta and potato salads while saving shelf space for meats, etc. Old RV cook trick.
Shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic