Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #21

I'm having the exact same thing happen with my 2010 Rockwood refer door. Two-sided tape sounds like the first thing to try. Thanks for the discussion!
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #22
Occasional campers

2 Ton door and no-maintenance roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
I'm having the exact same thing happen with my 2010 Rockwood refer door. Two-sided tape sounds like the first thing to try. Thanks for the discussion!
I had the same problem with the 2 ton decorative panel sliding out of the actual refrigerator door. Last time, the plastic bottom frame of the door actually broke where the little dowel pins go in--the bouncing on I70 across Indiana did it in. So, I had to buy a new door. Before installing the new door, I added the panel to it. To install the panel, I used a strong double-sided tape. I applied it along both sides of the back of the decorative panel and also the bottom of the panel. Then pulled off the facing tape on the exposed sides of the tape, and for the sides of the panel, substituted strips of waxed paper cut more than twice the length of the panel, folded back on themselves. Also put down a similar piece of waxed paper for the bottom tape. Laid two 1/8 x 1 inch temporary shims on the door between the dowel pins and the position of the tape; this provided a small gap between the tape (which was on the panel) and the door. I then carefully slid the panel into the door, making sure the waxed paper moved with the panel. Just before getting it all the way in, I added double stick to the top of the panel, also with waxed paper. I finished sliding the panel in to the point where it reached the pins. Then I carefully pulled out the long end of each piece of waxed paper, which allowed the paper to gradually peel off of the double stick tape. Once all of the waxed paper was out, I carefully slid out the shims, and then pressed the panel against the door to get the tape to stick to the door itself. That done, I hung the replacement door on the refrigerator.

So far, so good. In contrast, the one original piece of tape was about 3 inches long! It was no wonder it didn't hold...

Some folks have talked about using a product such as Liquid Nails. I thought that probably would work, but I wanted to try to allow somewhat for any future possibility of having to do something with this again--and I figured that while it'd be extremely difficult, it would remain more possible if I used tape.
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #23

I'm planning to remove the heavy panels and replace them with white faced Masonite. Aside from the weight, I assume this will brighten things up a little and (assuming grandchildren are in the near future) can be written on with dry erase markers.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:30 PM   #24

Dometic wood door panels falling off

It just happened to the doors on my camper - the problem isn't with the pins, but the wood panels. The panels have a 1/16 " strip fastened to the rear of the panel to fit into the grooves on the refrigerator door. For some reason the strip covers the top and only a few inches along the top sides of the panel, but the bottom only protrudes out the bottom, not the sides at all. Which only rests on the pins, but theres nothing to hold the panel tight to the door. So I can literally pull the bottom of the panel slightly forward (Over the pins) and slide the panel off over the pins. This back and forth movement on the pins also wears on the 1/16 wood strip. I have no idea as to why they wouldn't have these strips on the lower sides of the panels. My first thought was to simply staple strips along the lower sides of the panel, but I could find anything of that thickness.

So I actually just flipped the top panel over so now the 1/16" strip bites into both sides on the bottom (preventing it from slipping over the pegs). The lower door cant be removed (will hit floor or ceiling) So I did what others posted, I bought heavy duty 2 sided tape (not with foam) as thin as you can find. Slid the door down and put the tape along the bottom length. Not just to hold it up really, but to keep it on top of the pins and not sliding over. So in essence the pins should still hold the weight.
FPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #25

Thanks to Too Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I ended up doing it this way. A little weird, but I found that a 1/4" screw (I had brass already) would self tap perfectly into the plastic holes where the two plastic pins were. I did have to grind the length down a little. The picture below is without the plastic trim installed. The whole problem is the plastic pins are not long enough and the 2 ton oak door rides over them and falls to the floor. If I'm overweight at the scale, I know what's going first, ha.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxW...ew?usp=sharing
I know this is an older thread, but I recently bought a used 233S and had this problem with the freezer door. I suspect this is still a current problem. I went with Too Tall's use of a screw to replace the plastic pins. Couldn't find the right size screws locally, so I ordered from Amazon a pack of #14 FLAT HEAD sheet metal screws 3/4 inch long. I got stainless, but I don't think that matters. The size and length worked perfectly and are adjustable to get the right purchase on the wood panel's edge. The flat head screw design also tends to make the thin lip of the panel slide back into place if it moves during traveling. Kudos and thank you to Too Tall.
It was so easy, I did the refrigerator door the same way just for good measure (I didn't have the problem with that door.)
V8s4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8s4ever View Post
I know this is an older thread, but I recently bought a used 233S and had this problem with the freezer door. I suspect this is still a current problem. I went with Too Tall's use of a screw to replace the plastic pins. Couldn't find the right size screws locally, so I ordered from Amazon a pack of #14 FLAT HEAD sheet metal screws 3/4 inch long. I got stainless, but I don't think that matters. The size and length worked perfectly and are adjustable to get the right purchase on the wood panel's edge. The flat head screw design also tends to make the thin lip of the panel slide back into place if it moves during traveling. Kudos and thank you to Too Tall.
It was so easy, I did the refrigerator door the same way just for good measure (I didn't have the problem with that door.)
Thank you very much! It hasn't fallen off since, ha
Old 08-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #27
Occasional campers

The crashing refrigerator doors

In my case, posted quite a while back, I couldn't just substitute for the pins--the part of the door that is supposed to hold the pins had broken. So I had to replace the door (yes, it can come off, although that's a pain); then install the 2-ton panel. Fortunately, when I was making the permanent repair I had the luxury of time to hunt for a source with a halfway reasonable price.
When the panel first slid out my reaction was similar to the scene in "The Money Pit", where the bathtub falls through the floor. Except for the fact that I was exhausted and wanted to go to bed, I would have just laughed hysterically with the bizarre situation. But I needed to close the refrigerator door, and I had to either get the panel out, or manage to shove it back up, before I could get the door closed!
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #28

If I did this right, this is the picture of my fix. It's been 4 years and stilling working well. It's a simple fix, even a cave man can do it. (like me)

Click image for larger version

Name:	bros (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	236614
Old 08-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray and Ann View Post
In my case, posted quite a while back, I couldn't just substitute for the pins--the part of the door that is supposed to hold the pins had broken. So I had to replace the door (yes, it can come off, although that's a pain); then install the 2-ton panel. Fortunately, when I was making the permanent repair I had the luxury of time to hunt for a source with a halfway reasonable price.
When the panel first slid out my reaction was similar to the scene in "The Money Pit", where the bathtub falls through the floor. Except for the fact that I was exhausted and wanted to go to bed, I would have just laughed hysterically with the bizarre situation. But I needed to close the refrigerator door, and I had to either get the panel out, or manage to shove it back up, before I could get the door closed!
Yea, same with me. Ever time I stopped for fuel or whatever, the damn 2 ton oak panel was laying on the floor. I can't believe I paid extra to get this problem.

Tags
dometic, door, refrigerator