Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #1

Dometic Refrigerator Door Shelf "Ears" Fix

One of the "ears" broke off the door liner that holds a door shelf on my Dometic RM1350. What to do?

Well I think I found the "right" glue to repair this. It looks like the door is some sort of styrene and so I used Loctite #681925 Plastic Bonding System that is made for polystyrene. As long there are no gaps and it is a close fitting break this should work for you. It is a two part system with an activator and glue. I wore nitrile gloves and cleaned the edges to be glued with isopropyl alcohol first. Then applied the activator then the glue. 30 seconds later glued and full strength in 24 hours.

Here is the link to the technical data sheet

2023 Jayco 195RB
wolfie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #2

Follow Up on Dometic RM1350 Door Liner

Long story short the Loctite did not work. The cross sectional area of the thin wall was not enough to bond to. That was the problem in the first place as the plastic broke because of the thin wall.

I have tried a Permatex product a two part acrylic glue that is pretty thick and set up quickly. Here is the link https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...lastic-welder/

I cleaned the parts with alcohol and used a liberal amount to get a bond with the foam as well as the rigid plastic. Hopefully this will work.

2023 Jayco 195RB
Old 06-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #3

how hard is it to remove that inner panel? If you can take it off you may be able to reinforce it from the back side. Cut a piece of similar plastic and glue it over the break.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #4

Backside of RM1350 Door Liner

Everything looks to be bonded together, I don't have the RV here but part of the reason it broke is that the foam insulation did not flow into the ear of the liner so it was just hollow plastic instead of foam filled plastic.

Bottom line is that you can't get to the backside to reinforce the glue joint.

I reached out to Dometic so we will see what they have to say and maybe the acrylic two part plastic bonder works just fine. Maybe Dometic had a problem with the doors and I will get a new door? Never hurts to ask.

2023 Jayco 195RB
Old 07-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #5

Dometic Door Liner Fix

After a few trips the 2 part acrylic plastic welder repair looks to be holding. I’m declaring it the winner of the two attempts to repair the inner door panel.

I used this Permatex 5 minute Plastic Welder expo you can buy at Menards

Here is the link to the Permatex product page

I hope this helps somebody else out.

2023 Jayco 195RB

Tags
dometic, door, refrigerator