Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #1

Dometic refrigerator fins freezing

Hey all, I have a Dometic model DM2652 electric / propane refrigerator in my RV. It's only around 14 months old. The fins have started freezing much faster than they used to, a few days. The upper part of the fridge is also wet with water that turning down the temperature to colder used to fix but now doesn't. From researching the only issue I can find that may be the problem is the thermistor attached to the far right fin. Does this sound like the issue and is there something that I can check to see what's causing the fins to freeze much faster? I've already tried using a dollar bill to check the door seals and it seems to be fine. The freezer has no issues. Thanks for any help.

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #2

It's just the coil in the ref section that is icing up quickly? Check the gasket on the door for any tears and make sure the door latches correctly.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pastuzyn View Post
It's just the coil in the ref section that is icing up quickly? Check the gasket on the door for any tears and make sure the door latches correctly.
It's the rear fins inside of the fridge. I've already checked the door seals and seals as it should. Thanks

Retirement life........
Old 08-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #4

Not just door seals but food placed in refrigerator can cause high humidity which condenses on fins, even freezing at times.

If storing a lot of vegetables that have been rinsed (lettuce, carrots, celery, etc) they are a big source of moisture. Along with the normal humidity that enters when door is opened.

Anything that condenses on the fins should drip off and be routed out the back of the refrigerator, either into an evaporation pan or drip tube outside the outside vent.

If fins frost a lot adding a fan either on the fins or inside the refrigerator can help that. More of the frost will melt and be collected in the drip tray.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Not just door seals but food placed in refrigerator can cause high humidity which condenses on fins, even freezing at times.

If storing a lot of vegetables that have been rinsed (lettuce, carrots, celery, etc) they are a big source of moisture. Along with the normal humidity that enters when door is opened.

Anything that condenses on the fins should drip off and be routed out the back of the refrigerator, either into an evaporation pan or drip tube outside the outside vent.

If fins frost a lot adding a fan either on the fins or inside the refrigerator can help that. More of the frost will melt and be collected in the drip tray.
Thanks, I use a 12 volt fan inside for better air circulation and very few vegetables. I think that I may have fixed the issue. The door latch for the refrigerator wasn't latching tight as it should. I took the freezer door handle off and on to the refrigerator door and latches as it should now. The refrigerator handle latches the freezer door also. Hopefully that was the issue. Time will tell.

Retirement life........
Old 08-31-2020, 01:36 PM   #6
Dahagen

I spend 6 months in the RV and Arizona and found the Smart Fridge Fix fan to keep the fins from freezing up. I usually only have to defrost once during the middle of the season.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
I spend 6 months in the RV and Arizona and found the Smart Fridge Fix fan to keep the fins from freezing up. I usually only have to defrost once during the middle of the season.
I just looked at some and have good reviews. Most were installed in the inside of the fridge vent and looks pretty easy. Is yours installed outside or against the fridge vents?
Thanks!

Retirement life........
Old 08-31-2020, 05:50 PM   #8

Try this Valterra fridge fan. Operates on 2 D cell batteries. Pair of batteries last a whole season of weekend camping
Price is right, they last years. And have an on/off switch.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200723-114657_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	464
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	238082
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
Dahagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
I just looked at some and have good reviews. Most were installed in the inside of the fridge vent and looks pretty easy. Is yours installed outside or against the fridge vents?

Thanks!
It is installed inside the fridge with a wire going to the inside light for operation It is mounted in front of the fins at the very top of the fridge. The fans blow down across the fins.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
Try this Valterra fridge fan. Operates on 2 D cell batteries. Pair of batteries last a whole season of weekend camping
Price is right, they last years. And have an on/off switch.Attachment 238082
Thanks for the tip. I have one now that runs off of 2 D batteries. It last around 2 weeks. I'm full time so any will go through batteries more often. I'm going to get the one you showed.
Thanks

Retirement life........

Tags
dometic, refrigerator