Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #1

Dometic Refrigerator not working

I believe this may be my first post but have been lurking for a bit. Late last fall, I purchased a 2012 Salem 26TBUD and basically winterized it and put it into storage. I have now pulled it out of storage and getting it ready for our first camping trip. Everything is working except the refrigerator. It's a Dometic DM2652 and can't get it to work on either propane or electric. The trailer is level, and there's AC power going to the fridge. I've had it on both propane and AC power for 2 hrs each and the inside of the fridge is still warm. Any ideas what the problem may be or whether it will take longer then 2 hrs to even feel some coolness inside the fridge?
Thanks
2006 Club Car Precedent golf cart
dirtman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman7 View Post
I believe this may be my first post but have been lurking for a bit. Late last fall, I purchased a 2012 Salem 26TBUD and basically winterized it and put it into storage. I have now pulled it out of storage and getting it ready for our first camping trip. Everything is working except the refrigerator. It's a Dometic DM2652 and can't get it to work on either propane or electric. The trailer is level, and there's AC power going to the fridge. I've had it on both propane and AC power for 2 hrs each and the inside of the fridge is still warm. Any ideas what the problem may be or whether it will take longer then 2 hrs to even feel some coolness inside the fridge?
Thanks
I would wait a couple more hours.. If it's hot out you may not feel a difference in only a couple hours. My dometic fridge says 4hrs to get up to temp.

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #3

Yes, I believe I didn/t give it enough time. Actually I was only checking the fins inside the fridge and they were not getting cold. I just checked the freezer compartment and the walls are definitely getting cold. Appears it is working but will just need time for it to cool. Will put a thermometer inside and see the temp difference between today and tomorrow.
2006 Club Car Precedent golf cart
dirtman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Site Team

it's pretty normal to require an overnite to get it to cool. propane is faster than electric.
RV fridges don't work like home fridges. they have no compressor and cool by absorption. it takes way more than a couple of hours to accomplish this.

the dealer should have explained this during the PDI.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Ditto on the thermometer. In fact get two - one of the freezer and one for the fridge. It's hard but keep the door close while waiting.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I know you said you have AC and Propane available, but just so we are sure, DC is required to use either. All the controls are 12 Volt DC.
If the "auto" light is on you have good DC.

It can take up to overnight to cool depending on your location. If it is hot where you are or you are in direct sunlight; it could take a long time.

I put ICE bags in the freezer to give it a head start.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #7

We are having problems with our 337 Dometic fridge. It has never been as quick to cool as the one in our Outback trailer. This weekend, we had it running on the generator, switched it to gas overnight, and it just shut down. This afternoon at the campground, it was on electric. We went out for a while and when we came back, it had switched itself to LP. I changed it back to electric. As far as I'm concerned, it is under warranty and I want a new one.

Days camped in 2014 - a bunch!
tomnhenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #8

I'm having a similar issue with the DM2652 in the XLR. It's only getting what I would consider to be marginally cool. It's a little better on LP than electric, but neither are what I think are cold enough. What is an acceptable temp for these things to run at? It's under warranty and I've already scheduled a return to the dealer to look at it, but knowledge is power, right?. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #9

Well, couple of years later, we have learned to "deal" with the fridge. We try to start it up earlier, and we put a bag of ice in the freezer. An overnight will get it about where it needs to be. We just open it as little as possible. Hung thermometers in freezer and fridge and keep an eye on everything. Once it gets cool, it maintains its temp pretty well. Certainly was a learning experience.

Days camped in 2014 - a bunch!
tomnhenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #10

I have a 2012 V-Cross 275 fiver with, I would think the same frig, I always turn it on the day before I am going to leave. It takes a good 4 to 6 hours to get cold. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #11

Check your heat element. See what the wattage is on the element. It should be on the element. Check your amps with a fluke meter. put around one wire only. check the voltage were the power is coming from to your element. Then multiply the Volts x amps to get watts. Check that number to the one on your element
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad