Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Dometic Refrigerator Over Heating Wall

I have a Sabre 5th wheel with the Dometic fridge mounted in the slide-out, so I have 2 vents on the side wall. I have the 2 new fans ready to install to help move the air up and out the top vent. My problem is that the box Palomino put in (to reduce the area around the rear of the refrigerator) covers 2 of the 3 rows of holes in the top, side wall, plastic vent. The box is also right up against the top evaporator fins. See photo. Note the color of the sidewall where it looks like the heat has actually burned the sidewall. Besides not using the unit until fixed, any suggestions? Is it okay for the box to touch the fins? Is one row of vent holes enough to exhaust all the air?
CaptZoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #2

Photos weren't included on my screen.

Just from my experience with the small fridge in a small A-frame. At best, Forest River intentionally installs the fridge to the minimum requirements published by Dometic. This is to provide more room for more stuff.

The problem comes when the installation wasn't done quite correctly by those "skilled" craftsmen. Often there is a gap around the fridge box which should have been blocked off and filled with insulation. And the air flow baffles in back of the fridge somehow didn't end up where they were supposed to, and block airflow rather than making sure the air goes through the cooling coils.

Your fridge works by extracting heat from inside the box, and putting it in the cooling coils. The cooling coils transfer the heat to air coming in the bottom vent and going out the top vent.

I like to say Dometic's vents are so poorly designed that they couldn't pass gas in a hurricane. The air has to take a convoluted path to avoid rain coming in to the compartment.

Bottom line for efficient fridge operation is you want all the airflow you can get across the cooling coils, and you want that hot air exhausted out the top vent, and not trapped in the compartment. Anything you can do to improve the airflow, and reduce resistance to the airflow, will help your fridge maintain its cool, and prevent dangerous heating of adjacent cabinetry.

I used Reflectix to smooth the airflow path and to insulate adjacent cabinetry. I finally installed a computer case fan on the exhaust vent (with cable ties) to assist the airflow. With those modifications, the fridge worked like a champ.

Fred W
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 PM   #3

Photo

[QUOTE=CaptZoltar;1892215]
This the photo showing the box touching the fins and the discoloration of the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180730_095627.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	182381  
CaptZoltar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, heating, refrigerator