Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #1

Dometic refrigerator temp up/down

Our refrigerator whether on propane or electric will literally go from 35 to 46 and back to 35 up to 46. We have it set on the coldest setting but it doesn't seem to want to hold it.. Suggestions
smithrhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
Site Team

What model is the fridge?

Does it have fans in the outside chase?
Does it have fan(s) in the inside blowing across the fins?

Either of those will help.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
What model is the fridge?

Does it have fans in the outside chase?
Does it have fan(s) in the inside blowing across the fins?

Either of those will help.
Not on inside, will check outside when I get home. The second opening is to high
Old 07-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #4

Let me guess, its in a slideout? I have a string about our dometic not maintaining and then it just puked out. Cooling unit was bad. According to the dealer they are replacing a lot more cooling units this year than normal.

What the person is saying about exhaust fans is you can add fans in the top side vent. If you have two side vents for the fridge, your fridge is in a slide out. The heat cannot escape vertically as efficiently. Standard setup is they have a huge vent stack for fridge that is not in the slide out.

Many ideas and posts on how to add in a fan(s) on top and bottom to get that heat out. In fact, Forest River, when we had our cooling unit replaced, gave us in writing that we could add auxillary exhaust fans without voiding the warranty. As long as we are not modifying the design of the actual fridge itself.

Simplest is a standard CPU fan, as small or as big as you want, hooked up to 12vdc that will suck the hot air from inside to the outside. Keep the air moving is the biggest thing. In a quick emergency I just got two 5" cpu 12vdc fans, tie wrapped them up and hooked to the 12v connections on the white screw terminal(marked).
Final configuration was a formal install with brackets, wires, fuses, 3 way switch, tap from thermistor, split loom, quick detach connectors etc.

See pic. Just an idea of what/where. Lots of very creative installations posted all over the place here. It really helps. Yes, you will still see some fluctuations in temperature but it will be much less dramatic and stay within the safe parameters for your food.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1716.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	145288  
coneslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneslayer View Post
Let me guess, its in a slideout? I have a string about our dometic not maintaining and then it just puked out. Cooling unit was bad. According to the dealer they are replacing a lot more cooling units this year than normal.

What the person is saying about exhaust fans is you can add fans in the top side vent. If you have two side vents for the fridge, your fridge is in a slide out. The heat cannot escape vertically as efficiently. Standard setup is they have a huge vent stack for fridge that is not in the slide out.

Many ideas and posts on how to add in a fan(s) on top and bottom to get that heat out. In fact, Forest River, when we had our cooling unit replaced, gave us in writing that we could add auxillary exhaust fans without voiding the warranty. As long as we are not modifying the design of the actual fridge itself.

Simplest is a standard CPU fan, as small or as big as you want, hooked up to 12vdc that will suck the hot air from inside to the outside. Keep the air moving is the biggest thing. In a quick emergency I just got two 5" cpu 12vdc fans, tie wrapped them up and hooked to the 12v connections on the white screw terminal(marked).
Final configuration was a formal install with brackets, wires, fuses, 3 way switch, tap from thermistor, split loom, quick detach connectors etc.

See pic. Just an idea of what/where. Lots of very creative installations posted all over the place here. It really helps. Yes, you will still see some fluctuations in temperature but it will be much less dramatic and stay within the safe parameters for your food.
Thanks for the information, sounds like a great idea. I'll look for a fan or two when we get home

Tags
dometic, refrigerator