Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #1

Dometic RM2551 Fridge freezing food - has no thermoster?

Hi everyone!

Our Dometic RM2551 fridge is getting really cold and freezing our food, especially on the upper shelves.

I tried to do some research, but everything mentions a “thermoster” which is wired into a control somewhere.

Ours has the plastic slider that clips onto the fins (pictured) but is not wired, nor does it look like there’s anywhere a wire might’ve been before and broke off.

The manual doesn’t mention temperature control, only that it cools to a factory-preset temperature.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks

PS Sorry the photo is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED2DF929-8E28-4D28-980A-09F0C9A560D2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	213953  
Linake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Your thermister should enter the box thru a grommet under the right end of the drip tray.
See attached photo.
The fat white wire ends with a plastic thing on the end which is supposed to be contained in the clip you show in your photo.
Do you see your grommet/hole?
Is the wire there?
If not it's possible it's gotten pulled out and might be found in the rear of the fridge. Look outside in the lower fridge access hatch.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_133438.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	213959  
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

Yep. Your missing the wire that should be a permanent part of the white slider.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_135732.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	213960Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_135723.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	213961Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_135711.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	213962

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Your thermister should enter the box thru a grommet under the right end of the drip tray.
See attached photo.
The fat white wire ends with a plastic thing on the end which is supposed to be contained in the clip you show in your photo.
Do you see your grommet/hole?
Is the wire there?
If not it's possible it's gotten pulled out and might be found in the rear of the fridge. Look outside in the lower fridge access hatch.
Good luck!
Thanks KyDan and Larry! I found the wire! I was looking in the totally wrong place.

Does the capped end fit into the white clip like this? (see photo)

Edit: Had to upload photo to IMGUR because the forum wasn’t uploading it. It can we seen at https://imgur.com/a/BMdppbV

Basically I just slid the white plastic end of the wire up into the back of the clip, and placed the clip back on the last fin. The wire fits in there well.
Linake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linake View Post
Thanks KyDan and Larry! I found the wire! I was looking in the totally wrong place.

Does the capped end fit into the white clip like this? (see photo)

Edit: Had to upload photo to IMGUR because the forum wasn’t uploading it. It can we seen at https://imgur.com/a/BMdppbV

Basically I just slid the white plastic end of the wire up into the back of the clip, and placed the clip back on the last fin. The wire fits in there well.
That looks totally correct to me...

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Slide the clip up for colder, down for warmer. As indicated on the wall sticker. Make sure thermistor is in the upper part of the clip for maximum cold.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Slide the clip up for colder, down for warmer. As indicated on the wall sticker. Make sure thermistor is in the upper part of the clip for maximum cold.
Thanks

My fridge actually doesn’t have a wall sticker, but I’ve seen photos of other fridges that do.

The problem was that the plastic clip wasn’t attached to the wire that tells the fridge what temp to set at, so it was constantly keeping things as cold as possible. Most of our food froze, including our milk and vegetables :\

You forum folks helped me find the wire, so now I’m just waiting to see if the temp gets to a more reasonable degree
Old 09-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Our Dometic RM2551 fridge is getting really cold and freezing our food, especially on the upper shelves.

I tried to do some research, but everything mentions a “thermoster” which is wired into a control somewhere.

Ours has the plastic slider that clips onto the fins (pictured) but is not wired, nor does it look like there’s anywhere a wire might’ve been before and broke off.

The manual doesn’t mention temperature control, only that it cools to a factory-preset temperature.

Thanks

See that plastic slide on the fin? It should have a tube attached that controls the temp. If the tube is laying down, that is why everything is freezing.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #9

Update: It worked! The fridge is a much more reasonable temp now. Thank you for saving our lettuce
Old 09-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Thanks

A good idea is to buy a small fridge fan available at most RV stores. Hardly seems any air is moving but keeps everything at a much more constant temp. Also if you are in humid areas watch for ice buildup on the aluminum fins up top below the freezer.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Update: It worked! The fridge is a much more reasonable temp now. Thank you for saving our lettuce
First time I've read "thanks for saving our lettuce". Usually it's "saving our bacon".

A tip: Once you get the temperature adjusted by moving the "bulb" up or down to get the right temp, put a "paper clamp" on the plastic piece that slides up and down so your adjustment doesn't change. Mine crept down apparently due to it being slightly loose and from vibration during travel. The "clamp" keeps it in place. I just used one of the small paper clamps that has the folding "ears".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
. Also if you are in humid areas watch for ice buildup on the aluminum fins up top below the freezer.
I have that build up when the refrigerator is opened a lot during the day but it seems to melt off and is then merely collected in the drip tray and drained outside. Just make sure that the drain tube is properly extended through the outside access/vent cover. If not, water will collect inside RV and cause rot.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
First time I've read "thanks for saving our lettuce". Usually it's "saving our bacon".

A tip: Once you get the temperature adjusted by moving the "bulb" up or down to get the right temp, put a "paper clamp" on the plastic piece that slides up and down so your adjustment doesn't change. Mine crept down apparently due to it being slightly loose and from vibration during travel. The "clamp" keeps it in place. I just used one of the small paper clamps that has the folding "ears".
Hahaha fair! I had to alter the saying. See, our bacon was fine (except that we forgot a frying pan and had to cook it over the fire). In this case, our lettuce was the worst hit.

Great tip, thanks!
Old 09-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #14

You can buy and adjustable thermostat thermistor

Here is the link to the thermistor I installed below. In Houston, we have just horrible heat and my Dometic fridge was freezing me out at night, and not getting below 50 degrees in full 100 degree heat. Two things I did. I installed an adjustable thermostat thermistor, which works great for temp control, and I installed a large computer fan wired tied to the heat sinks on the outside of the fridge under the outside hatch for your fridge outside your trailer. The thermister listed below was super easy to install and came with all the needed hardware and good instructions. It was about a 10 minute job.

My new NOBO fridge has the fans pre-installed but my 2006 Casita which has an older Dometic fridge did not have the fans. The fans of course increase heat dissipation from the fridge external heatsinks into the outside air.

Also try and park the trailer in the shade if you are here on the Gulf Coast and have those 100 degree days like today.

Here is the Ebay link and this person was great with info.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-The...wAAMXQueRRYoEB
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
255, dometic, fridge