Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #1

Driven DR3200BT

Good day all! I am new here, but have been a "lurker" for about 4 years. I recently updated my 2018 26RR with a 2022 26RR. I am generally very happy about everything in the newer model EXCEPT the multi-media head unit. First off - no DVD. That stinks. It's fine if you have cellular or wifi for streaming, I get it, but I don't have those where I camp. Easy enough solution, I buy a $30 DVD player from Walmart. But here's the kicker......... How do I play my TV's audio thru the head unit? The only option I see is using the TV's ARC HDMI port (Newer Samsung Smart TV M4500 Series) connected to the HDMI (Input) port on the front of the DR3200BT. I think it's silly that the cord is connected to the front and there is not rear provisioning for this - but I digress. Regardless, it does not work. I read on the internet that some older HDMI cords are not compliant to work with ARC. I will try a new cord.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue. I have read nothing but BAD about the Driven DR3200BT and am about ready to pull it out and replace it just 4 days into new ownership.

Driven (the Company) is not much help either!

Have a great Day all!
atctim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #2

UPDATE - from Driven - who by the way returned my email very quickly and are very informed. There is no solution to this. The DR3200BT was designed to be put into an RV with TVs - so it's basically on Forest River's design / engineering / purchasing for selecting this unit for a model that does not come with TVs. I'm searching for a replacement unit at this point. This is a HUGE setback from the old Furion DVD player, as far as removing function from this entertainment package goes. I'll keep you posted after further discussions with both Driven and Forest River.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:30 PM   #3

There are wireless HDMI options, I have one but I’ve never tried it so I can’t say how well it works.
Tombsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #4

It has to be one or the other. It can't be "wireless HDMI". HDMI is a wired technology. Wireless has to be like 802.11, or Bluetooth, or RF.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #5

Also, the online manual for the DR3200BT has a diagram of the back of the unit. It is wrong. It lists all outputs, and no inputs. This is what had me not understanding. Issue will be solved this weekend with a hole saw, two sets of RCA wires, and removing the unit.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atctim View Post
It has to be one or the other. It can't be "wireless HDMI". HDMI is a wired technology. Wireless has to be like 802.11, or Bluetooth, or RF.

They use various wireless technologies, military versions use 20-60KHz frequencies.
The end result is the same transmitting HDMI signals without wires
They are very common especially for gaming accessories.

http://Wireless HDMI Transmitter and...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-03-2021, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
They use various wireless technologies, military versions use 20-60KHz frequencies.
The end result is the same transmitting HDMI signals without wires
They are very common especially for gaming accessories.

http://Wireless HDMI Transmitter and...ing=UTF8&psc=1
With all due respect, I'm certainly not here to argue (although I am beginning to think that is why the internet WAS invented) - HDMI is a standard known wired technology. Sure there are converters to make HDMI "wireless" - but as an ANSI standard, HDMI is a wired technology. You said it yourself: "transmitting HDMI signals without wires". The HDMI signal itself is in digital pulse format, not wireless. Anyway..........I got this issue figured out.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #8

No problem, I didn’t name it Wireless HDMI, just makes it easier to describe it to people I guess.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #9

When we bought our 2020 Sabre 37FLH, the Driven DR3200BT came standard in the unit. From the first time I attempted to use it, I discovered it's a major piece of garbage and never should've been installed by FR. Bluetooth worked only a couple times from our phones, the downloadable phone app from the Google Play store didn't work at all, sound quality was horrible, couldn't connect an MP3 player to use with it. For us, only the FM tuner worked, but volume control totally sucked. It was too loud to talk over on the lowest volume level and if you attempted to lower it any more, you couldn't hear anything.

First thing I did was replace the crappy stock Driven speakers inside the coach with Pyle speakers, hoping to at least improve the sound quality some. No luck, still sounded crappy inside. I also replaced the outside Driven speakers with Pyle Marine speakers, but that too didn't improve the outside sound quality at all.

I finally broke down and replaced it with a Furrion Ethos 3-zone 260Watt Entertainment System (DV1230-BL). What a major difference. Every function on the Furrion head unit worked well and their downloadable phone app worked great too. But the sound was the biggest difference and now sounds so much better with the new speakers. The nice thing is I can add a third set of speakers to the bedroom in the coach if I want and connect to the one zone not currently wired.

You will be much happier if you replace it with nothing more than an inexpensive android car head unit, but you won't get independent speaker zones you can turn on and off. It will not only sound so much better, but, more importantly, will work correctly right out of the box.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:25 AM   #10

Quote:
How do I play my TV's audio thru the head unit?
In our unit there is a set of RCA jacks next to the antenna booster. I bought the cord in the link to connect the TV headphone jack to these RCA ports. Then flip the radio mode to "AV1" and it works like a champ! Doing it this way I can also control the tv volume with either the TV remote or the radio.

RV is in storage or else I would check but I think the radio volume would be set to around 20 then the TV would be around half its range.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6348664
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:33 AM   #11

ASR524 - my 2018 model had what you are talking about - the new 2022 model only has coax - no RCA (composite connections red/white=audio, yellow=video).

The Driven DR3200BT is JUNK! I went ahead and bought a DVD player. I pulled the 3200 head unit from it's mount. As others have mentioned - the wiring done on this unit is laughable at best. No care taken as to connecting up certain left /right aspects - and it was set to "mono" on the "stereo / mono" switch. I guess it has to be when you are only worried about zones, and are not concerned with channels. Regardless, here's where the JUNK part comes in. If I hooked from DVD thru 3200 then to TV, the video was not only really dark, but choppy / shaky. Whatever processing is done - and or the "passthrough" for the video is MESSED up! However, the audio is fine. I then tested by running my Chromecast thru the 3200 unit, and output from 3200 to TV via composite. It was a fine display. AV Out seems OK, but both AV1 In and AV2 In both had the same dark, jumpy effects on video. I ended up bypassing the 3200 for video. So now my video cable (yellow) runs from my DVD direct to my TV. And the audio (red / white) runs from my DVD to the 3200 unit.

All seems OK - but one last irritating bit,,,,,,,,,, because I can't run DVD video thru the 3200, and my TV only has one composite input, I can not use a streaming device, which is what the unit was designed for. I would need 2 composite TV inputs to do this because of the video issue in playing AV1 thru the 3200.

Oh well - at least DVDs can now be watched with sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211203_200319190.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	266452  
Old 12-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #12

Quote:
ASR524 - my 2018 model had what you are talking about - the new 2022 model only has coax - no RCA (composite connections red/white=audio, yellow=video).
Looks like your unit was screwed with the "shortage" problems. Its there on FR's website and in pictures of dealer units I just found online...bummer!

https://www.asrvs.com/show-inventory...hp?id=pKWqpg==
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
Looks like your unit was screwed with the "shortage" problems. Its there on FR's website and in pictures of dealer units I just found online...bummer!

https://www.asrvs.com/show-inventory...hp?id=pKWqpg==
You are 100% correct. I did get boned! I also didn't get the backsplash - but I did get nice wheels other than ones pictures. Win some, lose some.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #14

I guess long term, I'd rather these wheels than a proper head unit. A new head unit will be far cheaper than new wheels long term. I dislike the black wheels, looks like a 1998 Chevy Cavalier that the hub caps feel off of. My wheels:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211130_143452498 (1).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	266465  
Old 12-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #15
Happy Camper

You weren't really missing much by not running the TV through the head unit. The crappy Driven speakers they use in the Grey Wolf are only marginally better than the worst TV speaker audio. I just mounted a soundbar below my TV and called it a day.
BrentD99 is offline   Reply With Quote