Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 12:33 AM   #1

DSI fault

2018 287BHSS

Connected to 50amp shore power and today my hw heater decided that the dsi fault light should stay on. I cycled it a few times and it still comes on after briefly going off

Any ideas?
Corywilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corywilson74 View Post
2018 287BHSS

Connected to 50amp shore power and today my hw heater decided that the dsi fault light should stay on. I cycled it a few times and it still comes on after briefly going off

Any ideas?
It sounds like your pilot light is not aliened correctly. The flame has to heat up the probe to stay on. You should beable to turn it on and go outside to listen. 3 clicks and should ignite everytime the DSI red fault comes on it's tring to light. Check the igniter first other then that it could be a bad board. When the probe heats up it will go to ground and shut the DSI off. The only two things that can cause that..... PS: Your 50 amp power has nothing to do with it, that's on the 12 volt side...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:15 AM   #3

Could also be "Out of Propane"? Youroo!!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Could also be "Out of Propane"? Youroo!!
Never knew anyone but you
to run out of propane. but could be the problem, i doubt it...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corywilson74 View Post
2018 287BHSS

Any ideas?
It will go off when trying to fire up. It will come back on if the attempt fails. Just sounds like there is air in the system. It will lockout after, I think 3 times and you will have to wait for it to reset itself. Just keep trying it and maybe light the stove burners to make sure they are lighting. Just a suggestion.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Never knew anyone but you
to run out of propane. but could be the problem, i doubt it...
We have 2 30# tanks Only 1 on at any time have NEVER run out of propane in the RV! Now at Home we have 5 gas grills and have run out of propane while in use,BUT we have Plenty of Full 20 and 30# Spare Backup propane tanks! W/D Your Next Steak will be cooked over a Camp Fire fueled with "Used Tires and started with Used Motor Oil"! Youroo!!
Old 06-12-2017, 05:56 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
It will go off when trying to fire up. It will come back on if the attempt fails. Just sounds like there is air in the system. It will lockout after, I think 3 times and you will have to wait for it to reset itself. Just keep trying it and maybe light the stove burners to make sure they are lighting. Just a suggestion.
The DSI light will be on any time you are on gas, water tank cold (calling for heat), and there is no flame. After 3 light attempts, it is latched on and the gas shut off at the solenoid for safety.

That means when you first turn on the gas switch, the DSI is ON, and will go out when the flame sensor detects the pilot light.

Turn off the gas switch, WAIT 5 minutes, and turn it back on again to try again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEL Suburban WATER HEATER.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	141066  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The DSI light will be on any time you are on gas, water tank cold (calling for heat), and there is no flame. After 3 light attempts, it is latched on and the gas shut off at the solenoid for safety.

That means when you first turn on the gas switch, the DSI is ON, and will go out when the flame sensor detects the pilot light.

No, when the switch is set to on the light will go out immediately and start the spark sequence and then it will come back on if there is no combustion (ignition). There is no pilot light with a DSI system.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

Absolutely correct.

Quote:
No, when the switch is set to on the light will go out immediately and start the spark sequence and then it will come back on if there is no combustion (ignition). There is no pilot light with a DSI system.
No, mine works exactly the way Herk described. Push the gas switch to on and the DSI light comes on and attempts to light the burner. It goes out when the burner ignites. All three of my fifth wheels worked this way.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Absolutely correct.

No, mine works exactly the way Herk described. Push the gas switch to on and the DSI light comes on and attempts to light the burner. It goes out when the burner ignites. All three of my fifth wheels worked this way.
I do have to make a correction. The light will not immediately go out but will go out when the spark ignition sequence starts but will come back on if there is no combustion. If there is combustion the light will stay off. There is no pilot light though. OOPS.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #11

It helped me to think of it this way........

The reason the "D" is in DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) is that it does NOT have a pilot light that stays lit, like an oven. If it did, it would be called INDIRECT PILOT IGNITION, which in effect is what an oven is. The spark that lights the gas is Direct......but not manual. You don't click something every time you want it to spark. You just turn on an electric switch, and it will try three times to light the gas........and as soon as it is successful, the FLT (Fault) light goes out. IF it can't get it done in 3 tries, the FLT light stays on, because it's a fault.

Simple minded maybe. Well, not maybe; it's stating the obvious. But it drove me nuts till I figured it out.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
Site Team

Just a little heads up. Suburban last week sent us quick users guide for the SWDE model of their water heaters (which explains the DSI light) as well as some great videos. We placed all of this in the water heater FAQ section if anyone missed it. It is great referral information when explaining to our new members how the Suburban Water Heaters operate:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...de-135974.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-135977.html

Atwood brand water heaters could possibly operate a hair different concerning the DSI fault light than Suburbans.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
There is no pilot light though. OOPS.

You win: Change to "When the flame detector detects the flame."
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #14

Can some one tell me is the dsi switch suppose to be on or off on my 21 ft 2012 Micro Lite fbrs. What does it do and what does it stand for.thanks
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
It helped me to think of it this way........

The reason the "D" is in DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) is that it does NOT have a pilot light that stays lit, like an oven. If it did, it would be called INDIRECT PILOT IGNITION, which in effect is what an oven is. The spark that lights the gas is Direct......but not manual. You don't click something every time you want it to spark. You just turn on an electric switch, and it will try three times to light the gas........and as soon as it is successful, the FLT (Fault) light goes out. IF it can't get it done in 3 tries, the FLT light stays on, because it's a fault.

Simple minded maybe. Well, not maybe; it's stating the obvious. But it drove me nuts till I figured it out.
Thanks I just post something about that that was a lot of help
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote