Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2021, 05:23 PM   #1

Dual Mode Refrigerator wonít light on Gas

I have a dual mode fridge with the On, Auto and Gas Button. (Standard as Iíve seen searching these forums.
Fridge works well on shore power.

On gas, it will cycle three times and then the ďAttnĒ light will light up. IE - it doesnít work on Gas.

Iíve tried some of the suggestions Iíve seen on hereÖ. Turn on the stove, turn the water heater on with gasÖ both work well.

I pulled the plastic cover off and watched the process - igniter.
First I discovered the igniter wire is bare and the spark is occurring outside of the silver cylinder (?). I repaired that by splicing in a good wire and insulating.

Iíll post a video of what it does if I can figure that out. It lights, but it outside of where I believe the fire belongs.

Help from the experience here please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	230ED27E-783A-4EF2-90F0-0E35D51CCD25.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	259756  
Foman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #2

We experience that usually the first attempt after storage. Try to remove enough sheet metal to access the igniter, burner, and thermocouple. Clean off any rust or residue that might have come down the exhaust stack during storage. After the first lightoff, ours is good for the trip.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:14 PM   #3

That flame is way too yellow. Something is plugged up partially, I would think. Should have a blue flame that's hardly visible in bright sunlight and it should be contained within the ignitor enclosure.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #4

that flame should be to the right under the upright tube , remove that front plate and see if burner tube is missing/ loose ! should turn upward and flame on top like a candle flame ,and blue. fire shouldnt be coming out as in pic.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:21 PM   #5

Here is a pic with that shield removed. Spark is over the serrated edges of the tube….but the flame is back to the left at the gap between the orfice and the tube.

I used an air compressor blower to blow through the silver tube. It’s open to the “flame” end. Blew both ways.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CF65AF09-E028-4345-B170-D40B0FD4B9B2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	259764  
Old 07-25-2021, 05:56 AM   #6

It looks to me like you either don’t have enough pressure coming from the gas control valve or you have a flow problem between the gas control valve and the orifice. The orifice could be partially clogged or the tube between the gas control valve and the orifice may have collected debris or moisture. Those are just a couple of easy things to check and get out of the way.

Bruce
Old 07-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #7

Just went thru this myself. Removed the burner, unscrew the brass orifice and used air hose to blow back thru orifice to clean it out. Was plugged with debris. If you hold it up to the light, you should be able to see a small hole thru it.
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf26 View Post
Just went thru this myself. Removed the burner, unscrew the brass orifice and used air hose to blow back thru orifice to clean it out. Was plugged with debris. If you hold it up to the light, you should be able to see a small hole thru it.

Seems easy to say, but yest the tiny hole that is the gas jet must be buggered up or obstructed throwing the gas back toward the air intake.

The only flame should be right at the slits near where the tip of the igniter reached over the slits. Spacing from electrode tip to the metal near the slits is supposed to be 1/8 inch. That fist picture looks like the ignition took place about where the burner air intake should be.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:11 AM   #9

Thanks all. Traveling yesterday and today. Will pull the tube and orfice in the next day or so and post result later
Old 07-26-2021, 07:32 AM   #10

Try Wolf26's solution. Easily could be dirt or even spiders.

Spiders love propane and occasionally built little nests in the orifices despite them being microscopic, this orifice is much smaller than that for the stove, furnace, or water heater. Compressed air like you use to blow all the dust out of your keyboard works well. Never stick any thing in the orifice as these are very sensitive to diameter and even a little wear can ruin them.

-- Chuck
Old 07-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #11

Follow up and SOLVED!

I pulled the (?) orfice tube out, one screw, as you can see from the pic. The mud wasps found this for some reason. Using the blow tip on the air compressor the other day did not dislodge it at all. I broke it up with a small flat screw driver and cleaned it out. Replaced everything and switched it from electric to gas and it lit on the first click.

The second pic shows all the crap that came out of the tube!

Thanks for all the suggestions and I hope this helps someone else.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CD9D33A0-D640-4618-86DB-026D9ACEBB13.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	260078   Click image for larger version

Name:	3DF7C5E6-0F85-47E8-A22D-743B2454E465.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	260079  
Old 07-30-2021, 11:34 AM   #12

get screens for heater exhaust.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foman View Post
Follow up and SOLVED!

I pulled the (?) orfice tube out, one screw, as you can see from the pic. The mud wasps found this for some reason. Using the blow tip on the air compressor the other day did not dislodge it at all. I broke it up with a small flat screw driver and cleaned it out. Replaced everything and switched it from electric to gas and it lit on the first click.

LOL That is not all on the wasp. She/He built the nest then you FIRED it like a clay pot with the wonky yellow flame
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foman View Post
Follow up and SOLVED!

Thank you so much for coming back and posting what you found and how you fixed it. Thatís what this place is all about, and too often people never report back with their resolution.

Bruce

Tags
refrigerator, gas, light