Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #1

Dual Thermostat Question

We were discussing why some units come with both a analog and a digital thermostat on another thread (no good answers but lots of guesses )

(FYI, in our unit the analog thermostat controls the Living room A/C and the Digital thermostat the Bedroom A/C and ther propane furnace)

I agree with others and want to replace the analog one with a digital (and suspect it is just going to be a bolt-on replacement) but this lead me to wonder...

Why in te HECK do we have 2 thermostats in the first place?

(this is our first 50AMP Rig with 2 A/C, so I am theorizing it is in case we hook up 30AMP and can only run 1 A/C (the living room I assume?)

Still, this is 2013 for gosh sakes, seems to me we could have one integrated controller (to rule them all ) instead of this analog-digital kludge.

Anyone care to educate me (and, if you have a solution for a integrated controller or digital replacement for the analog thermostat, please share!)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Always Learning

Could it be an optional second A/C vs. it being standard? (Wild guess, of course.)

In my case, both of my A/Cs are on digital thermostats.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Could it be an optional second A/C vs. it being standard? (Wild guess, of course.) In my case, both of my A/Cs are on digital thermostats.
Well DOH! Of course it's the optional A/C :-) The second air-conditioner and 50 amp circuitry comes in the diamond package. Even so it doesn't explain when I don't have two digital thermostats. Do any of the Forest River team Monitor these boards? Be good hearing from the horses mouth :-)

So now I guess the question reverts to how can I replace this analog thermostat with the digital thermostat?

(Offhand comment department: I still don't understand why they couldn't put it into an integrated digital thermostat that would control both air-conditioners you could even have a switch where you could set AC one and a AC two, and if you only had a 30 amp unit with no second AC, the second switch would do nothing. Being a lean six Sigma guy, it just seems like this would be less touch, more uniformity of installation and wiring and less parts stockage than maintaining separate inventories for analog and digital thermostats)
Old 12-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #4

so why does the Aviator that I own have 2 digital thermostats but only the 1 in the livingroom works the heat? And Why if you leave the fan in the auto position does the heat and A/C come on together and no this is not a defect, they planed it this way.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Do any of the Forest River team Monitor these boards? Be good hearing from the horses mouth :-)
not for the Rockwood/Flagstaff Division.

remember Forest River is made up of a lot of different divisions, each with their own autonomy, especially the recent acquisitions divisions(Palomino, Dynamax, Coachmen, etc.).

only only a few factory reps are members here and they represent only a few divisions. they are here only on their own personal desire to be able to interact with owners.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
not for the Rockwood/Flagstaff Division. remember Forest River is made up of a lot of different divisions, each with their own autonomy, especially the recent acquisitions divisions(Palomino, Dynamax, Coachmen, etc.). only only a few factory reps are members here and they represent only a few divisions. they are here only on their own personal desire to be able to interact with owners.
Looks like a Goshen topic to me then
Old 12-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #7

My Cardinal has two thermostats near the stairway, as well. The digital one controls the furnace and A/C in the front half and the regular analog thermostat controls the fantastic fan. That one tells it when to turn on and open up or shut down if it is getting too cold. I also have a digital thermostat in the bedroom to control the second A/C unit and the heat in the bedroom area. I'm just guessing yours may be set up the same…………….
Mtsiview is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat