Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #1

Dual vs all Electric Frig.

Getting ready to start my build on a Rockwood 2205S.

Question on the benefit of an all electric refrigerator, I know the upgrade cost includes the solar panel atop the trailer. Is it worth is and what is the long term service issues vs. the combo electric / propane.
Stevenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenet View Post
Getting ready to start my build on a Rockwood 2205S.

Question on the benefit of an all electric refrigerator, I know the upgrade cost includes the solar panel atop the trailer. Is it worth is and what is the long term service issues vs. the combo electric / propane.
When you say "all electric", do you mean 110v AC or 12v DC?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #3

12V DC
Stevenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #4

The downside is if you plan on boondocking a lot, the refrigerator will be a high drain on the batteries. The plus side is you can get a much larger electric only refrigerator. Also you need to be fairly level for an absorption (propane) refrigerator to work, but not with an electric only compressor refrigerator.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #5

I ordered a custom 2205S a few weeks ago and chose the 12 volt only option. I anticipate upgrading to a second 190 watt panel and expect to change the battery system to something a bit more robust. I am a huge fan of solar but dread the cost of the second panel. In reality it should be less that $1.00 per watt but that is, regrettably, not the case.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:56 PM   #6

Batteries are the issue.

A marine battery and 100 watt solar panel get you warm beer.

Wet acid batteries are heavy.

A 100 watt panel will provide 25 amps on a good day. That will power the fridge for a few hours.

As the dealer will say "most folks are always plugged in". So electric works.

So carefully figure out your "style". Boondocking, some wallydocking, or always in the campground.

Do be careful reading specifications. They are written for engineers. Misleading for the other 95% of the readers.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenet View Post
12V DC
You need to do a search on 12v DC only fridges here, before making your decision. They are pretty new to the RV Industry. There have been many problems with them, especially the Furrion ones. A member posted an email from a FR employee stating that FR was discontinuing the Furrion fridges and going with other brands.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 11-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #8

After camping most of my life with dual fuel refrigerators and now owning the Wolf Pup 17JG with a 12V only fridge... i would say stick with the dual fuel. If we are camping off grid we have to bring our generator along. If we are camping where there is electric available whether 20A or 30A. We have to stay plugged in to electric. Otherwise the fridge will run the batteries down and the factory installed 50W solar panel will not keep the batteries charged enough to keep up with the demands of the 12V fridge. I would like to say that we have the Furrion fridge which from personal experience and reading about others experiences on here is not the one you want. If you go 12V go with the GE 12V fridge.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #9

I don’t know if this particular package is in all offerings now but we ordered (yet to be delivered) a 2021 Mini Lite 2205S that will have a 12 volt only refrigerator by Magic Chef, 190 watt solar panel and a 1000 watt inverter. Obviously the inverter doesn’t run the refrigerator, it’s just part of the package.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
I donít know if this particular package is in all offerings now but we ordered (yet to be delivered) a 2021 Mini Lite 2205S that will have a 12 volt only refrigerator by Magic Chef, 190 watt solar panel and a 1000 watt inverter. Obviously the inverter doesnít run the refrigerator, itís just part of the package.
Congratulations! That sounds like a pretty nice set up.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #11

I always use the electric when "plugged in", but relying on solar power for refrigeration when boondocking (or driving down the highway) is an uncertainty that I wouldn't want to be bothered with, not to mention batteries and solar arrays to support it.

Propane is reliable and cheap. Unless dual fuel is CONSIDERABLY more expensive I wouldn't even consider going electric only. I like to have options..
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #12

Actually, you have to pay a bit more for the 12 volt only package but as a retired engineer the numbers looked good to me. Will I have to use a generator from time to time, probably. But I intend to add more solar and better batteries. If they were offering a nuclear ☢️ option I would have definitely opted for that upgrade ��.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #13
Site Team

By the way, a RV fridge is called 2-way, not dual fuel.
Dual fuel would be something like a Dual Fuel generator that runs on gas or propane.
A 2-way fridge is propane or 110v AC electric. A 3-way fridge would be propane, 110v AC or 12v DC.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #14

My daughter and son in law just bought a TT with 12 volt only frig and they loves it for the size. But they are always plugged in. The only time it is bad is if they have a long drive to camp. The batteries and charging from the tow vehicle does not keep up with the frig demand on even warm days and the battery is almost always DOA. They have to plug in just to put out the slide or use the 12 volt tongue jack. They know they need a battery upgrade.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
My daughter and son in law just bought a TT with 12 volt only frig and they loves it for the size. But they are always plugged in. The only time it is bad is if they have a long drive to camp. The batteries and charging from the tow vehicle does not keep up with the frig demand on even warm days and the battery is almost always DOA. They have to plug in just to put out the slide or use the 12 volt tongue jack. They know they need a battery upgrade.
Yes a battery upgrade is definitely one of the first things I am doing next season. Most likely switching to either 1 200AH AGM battery or possibly 2. I don’t think I will go Lithium due to the fact you have to change out all the charging and monitor. Not ready to sink that kind of money into it yet. Thinking about adding a portable solar panel to help with the charging though, possibly 120W or 200W panel. Sad that we have to do this because of Forest Rivers decision to go with 12V refrigerators and not beaf up the charging capabilities to account for the 12V fridge.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:12 PM   #16

Agreed. I plan on adding another 190 watt panel to the roof and then picking up a portable suitcase style to augment.

Unfortunately they are very proud ($$$) of their 190 watt panels.

I’ll have to see what battery comes with the unit to see if I can add another or just replace it with two better batteries.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
Yes a battery upgrade is definitely one of the first things I am doing next season. Most likely switching to either 1 200AH AGM battery or possibly 2. I donít think I will go Lithium due to the fact you have to change out all the charging and monitor. Not ready to sink that kind of money into it yet. Thinking about adding a portable solar panel to help with the charging though, possibly 120W or 200W panel. Sad that we have to do this because of Forest Rivers decision to go with 12V refrigerators and not beaf up the charging capabilities to account for the 12V fridge.
I know the tow vehicle does charging from the alternator but I think it is a low charge. I think the charge wire is only a 16ga wire. I read on the spec plate in their frig and it has the frig draws 11 amps when running. I am going to suggest son in law buy two gulf cart deep cycle agm batteries to replace the one marine/rv poj that came with the trailer.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
Agreed. I plan on adding another 190 watt panel to the roof and then picking up a portable suitcase style to augment.

Unfortunately they are very proud ($$$) of their 190 watt panels.

Iíll have to see what battery comes with the unit to see if I can add another or just replace it with two better batteries.
From what I have read here in the forums, you can request a better battery. The dealers are the ones who put in the battery/s and they put in the cheapest they can find. So if you want a specific type of battery you can request it prior to taking delivery. Prior to purchasing our wolf pup I had only purchased used units and had to take what was in the unit. I didnít realize when buying new you could tell the dealer what you want.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #19

LP refrigerators are ideal for campers. They typically also work on 120vAC shorepower. They work during those summer power brown-outs at Indiana State Parks and other places with no shorepower.

It takes a bunch of watts to power a refrigerator and you'll need a second trailer just hauling batteries to make one work.

I suspect, but don't know, the "12v" refrigerators are powering an inverter and supplying 120vAC to the refrigerator like a "residential" refrigerator, one of the worst ideas to ever hit the camper trailer market. Great for a hulking motorhome with a diesel generator to run when parked.

-- Chuck
Old 11-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
LP refrigerators are ideal for campers. They typically also work on 120vAC shorepower. They work during those summer power brown-outs at Indiana State Parks and other places with no shorepower.

It takes a bunch of watts to power a refrigerator and you'll need a second trailer just hauling batteries to make one work.

I suspect, but don't know, the "12v" refrigerators are powering an inverter and supplying 120vAC to the refrigerator like a "residential" refrigerator, one of the worst ideas to ever hit the camper trailer market. Great for a hulking motorhome with a diesel generator to run when parked.

-- Chuck
You are partially right. The 12V refrigerators are like a residential refrigerator however the compressor is 12V rather than 120V. They are definitely a power hog though.

Tags
electric