Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2022, 03:33 PM   #1

Duct work

Hey all, I've had this issue since buying my 5th wheel and curious as to why. The upstairs bedroom floor ducts hardly get heated any air flow coming out. Is the duct work possibly ran too low from factory to work properly? The living room / kitchen area have plenty of air flow.
Thanks in advance for any info!

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:56 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
Hey all, I've had this issue since buying my 5th wheel and curious as to why. The upstairs bedroom floor ducts hardly get any air flow coming out. AC or heat no difference. Is the duct work possibly ran too low from factory to work properly? The living room / kitchen area have plenty of air flow.
Depending on the distance of the run from the furnace, youíll find closer outlets to the furnace push air the best. Add in any turns added to that bedroom run, and itís looses its effectiveness to move air.
See if you can expose the entire bedroom run to check for lousy connections too.

AC runs are usually in the ceiling. Longer runsÖ..more chance to lose air flow.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD carried by a 2017 Ford E450
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Depending on the distance of the run from the furnace, you’ll find closer outlets to the furnace push air the best. Add in any turns added to that bedroom run, and it’s looses its effectiveness to move air.
See if you can expose the entire bedroom run to check for lousy connections too.

AC runs are usually in the ceiling. Longer runs…..more chance to lose air flow.
Sorry I meant the heat ducts only. The heating system is located more towards the living area. Adding and turning any duct work to force the air more to the upstairs area but would be very costly. I just use a small ceramic heater when needed. Thanks

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:50 PM   #4

My Cardinal 3600DVLE is the opposite:
Bathroom absolutely cooks you.
Downstairs kitchen living area is cold. The last duct is at the end of the island and the louvers blow the air across the rv instead of to the back of the rv. Result is the back pull out couch area with a big window in the back and a smaller side window on each side is COLD.
The bedroom gets luke warm and that is mainly because so much heat comes out of the bathroom.

This rig came with vinyl floors which is nice in the summer, but cold in the winter. I put carpet in the bedroom and when I pulled the floor vent I found the duct went another 20" past the outlet and then dead ends.
I plan on blocking off the duct at the floor vent so the air comes up out of it instead of blowing past it and dead ending.
FirstFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:55 PM   #5

Wow I have the same problem and am dealing with sandpiper and they are saying its a bad design but nothing to do for it��
Khtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
Hey all, I've had this issue since buying my 5th wheel and curious as to why. The upstairs bedroom floor ducts hardly get heated any air flow coming out. Is the duct work possibly ran too low from factory to work properly? The living room / kitchen area have plenty of air flow.

Our bathroom was so hot I blocked off most of the register with aluminum foil to push air to bedroom
loyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khtie View Post
Wow I have the same problem and am dealing with sandpiper and they are saying its a bad design but nothing to do for it��
I would agree on the "bad design".
Rear Living is bad design since there is no heat going to the back.
A Rear Entertainment would be OK since you would have the fireplace blowing the heat from the backwall into the camper living area.

My Cardinal has the fresh tank in the back. I am guessing they couldn't get a heat duct past it to bring heat to rear of the camper. If so, makes me wonder how effective "heated underbelly" is as far as protecting the frsh tank from freezing. Luckily we don't use the fresh tank anyway.
FirstFiver is offline   Reply With Quote

« Radio | Heat ducts »