Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #1

DVD player and TV

Hello. I am new to the forum and was hoping someone may be able to help us out. We are having trouble with our TV and DVD player. Our RV is a 2012 model and fairly new. It worked when we first got it but lately has not. we get sound but no picture. Any ideas?
tonyandjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
Now, what model of Rv? TV? DVD?
If the Tv have sound from the DVD, check what is the connection to the tv, Hdmi, RCA? (From the DVD unit)
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #3

I will have to look all that up. I will post it when I get the info. Thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Anacortesians

TV is a minefield to those who don't understand it. Over-the-air TV signals are now digital. If your TV set(s) are analog, you need a digital to analog converter to get TV through your roof antenna.

Campground cable systems can also have digital/analog issues. Our S&B is in an area provided with cable TV by Comcast. For many years the signal coming out of the wall jack was analog, which the older TV tuners could handle. About 5 years ago, Comcast went digital, but they used a different signal standard than that used by o-t-a stations. This requires a set-top box or a digital video recorder to act as a translator between Comcast's digital signal and your analog TV which has to be set to Channel 3. The Comcast remote takes care of channel assignment, and some other functions, but display settings (color, contrast, etc.) are still under the control of the TV set's original remote.

We've concluded that trying to use the TV when we're on a trip is difficult at best and a PITA otherwise. Unless a CG has cable that puts out an old-fashioned analog signal, we don't bother trying to hook up.

Watching TV is a very low priority when we're on the road, so it's not a big deal when we can't do so. At home we can get CBC-Vancouver or Victoria and watch it more than any other channels. When we're further south we're not that concerned (except DW can't get Coronation Street). News and weather are about all we want to see and we can get enough information by radio or on our laptop computer.

If anyone would like a driving lesson through this minefield, send me a PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #5

Are you trying to get a DVD to play? Or are you just trying to watch TV?

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #6

We are just trying to watch a DVD, I don't care much about the tv
Old 08-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
MC9

It is a minefield. Our Blu-ray didn't seem to work, checked the back and found the hdmi cable had come loose. It then had a pink toned picture and no sound until everything was shut down and restarted.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandjudy View Post
Hello. I am new to the forum and was hoping someone may be able to help us out. We are having trouble with our TV and DVD player. Our RV is a 2012 model and fairly new. It worked when we first got it but lately has not. we get sound but no picture. Any ideas?
Get to the back of the unit and check that all the wires are tightly connected. Please tell us also if the sound is coming from the TV or an audio system.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #9

Putting on an old AV integrator hat, typically this issue is a result of a loose / damaged cable. How is your DVD connected to the TV?
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #10

we have a flagstaff 8031BHDS RV with a Toshiba TV, Genesis audio system with integrated DVD/CD player. we are getting sound out of the audio system, actually all the sound goes thru the audio not the tv. when we are trying to play a dvd it says "no video signal" on the tv screen and the input is changed to dvd. we checked wires on back of tv everything is tight and connected.....
Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #11

Model is Toshiba.. audio system is Genesis. I believe it's a standard RCA connection. I know for sure it's not HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Now, what model of Rv? TV? DVD?
If the Tv have sound from the DVD, check what is the connection to the tv, Hdmi, RCA? (From the DVD unit)
Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #12

I would think you need to borrow a DVD player from somewhere, connect its output to the same wires you have connected to that Toshiba, and see if that borrowed one works. (Or perhaps you can plug the Toshiba into another TV.) If the wires are connected right, my guess is that the DVD player is toast.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandjudy View Post
Model is Toshiba.. audio system is Genesis. I believe it's a standard RCA connection. I know for sure it's not HDMI
It's two-sided. The video output from the genesis needs to be selected to go out the AV cable port and the video input on the Toshiba needs to be selected to receive on its AV port.

A loose connection along the AV video line behind the genesis can be a culprit, but check your two in/out selections first.

Barry mentions the standard trouble-shooting step, hook up an alternate device to see if tv works on its video selection.

A lot of people struggle the first time with getting their sound system and tv to handshake for air signals, cable signals, radio, dvd, etc. A seach will reveal many threads on their struggles listed on this forum.

Luck to you, let us if you discover your solution.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #14

We found it! Thanks to all your help. We took apart the genesis unit from the wall and checked all the connections. Amongst all the spaghetti we found a video cable without a cap on it. Connected it and whalah! Now we can play videos for the kids at night time. Thanks!

Tags
dvd