Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 78
Electric Fridges? Really?

I'm shying away from buying a 6000lb TT and looking at lighter FR trailers. The smaller ones I've seen so far have crappy ELECTRIC refrigerators!!

The salesperson I talked to was clueless. Is there a gas hookup behind the fridges on FR Lites and X Lites?
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Twisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,138
Must be specific models - which ones?
or misunderstandings?
I see gas/electric fridges on quick search.
__________________
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 78
I'm looking at FR Wildwood Lites and X Lites...FS195BH, FS185RB.

I thought they looked like Danby "dorm fridges", so I called the dealer. He said, yes, they are all electric.

Boy, I hope I am wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fr fridge.jpg (48.4 KB, 80 views)
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dillsburg, PA
Posts: 308
The way i read the brochure, an electric fridge like in your picture is standard but they have an option called "RV Refer IPO Electric Refer" Not sure if the "RV Refer" is gas but would assume so.
__________________


2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
The way i read the brochure, an electric fridge like in your picture is standard but they have an option called "RV Refer IPO Electric Refer" Not sure if the "RV Refer" is gas but would assume so.
Sounds like they're trying to save money where possible. Truth be told, I have lots of friends who only camp with hookups. Heck, it's all I do. The RV fridge on my camper is nice so that I can get the fridge cold before we leave when the camper is sitting out front on the road. But that's the only real reason that I need one.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 78
I'm not ordering, I'm buying from stock.

I was hoping someone would know if a gas line is installed back there.
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 78
I definitely want to dry camp.
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
KMP44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
I'm looking at FR Wildwood Lites and X Lites...FS195BH, FS185RB.

I thought they looked like Danby "dorm fridges", so I called the dealer. He said, yes, they are all electric.

Boy, I hope I am wrong.
I have never seen that in a camper before - at least not from the factory that way. But, the way they list it in the brochure sure sounds like that's what it is. If it was 2-way or 3-way, it should say that like all the other FR brands. If that is in fact ithe case - it only runs on AC, that sure seems like a boneheaded move on their part.

Any dealers near you have one that you can look at to find out for sure?
__________________


2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 78
The fridge in the photo is definitely electric, and all of the Lites and XLites I looked at on multiple dealer sites have that fridge.

The salespeople are telling people "to just get another battery". Liar, liar, pants on fire.

This is truly boneheaded, and stuff like this is why people camp twice and sell the trailer on Craigslist.
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Twisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,138
"This is truly boneheaded"
It sure is.
__________________
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 78
I sooo glad I noticed, if I'd driven one of those off the lot I would have freaked when I noticed. I have solar at home, and some experience with alternate fuels, so I noticed that the pic looked wrong. I feel bad for the suckers who buy these. I think it's really mean to do this to folks, and VERY shortsighted of Forest River.

Back to square one of trailer shopping.
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,906
I guess I'm missing it with the angst and anger and short-sightedness comments. Motorhomes and some larger campers are coming with full sized residential fridges that are 120v only. With the proper battery and inverter setup, they're fairing just fine.

In this case, it's a smaller fridge and again- depending on your usage of the camper, a 120v only fridge may be sufficient. If you can plug it in at home to get it cold, it'll stay cold for the duration of most drives to campgrounds.

As for back to square one of trailer shopping- why not look for campers that have upgraded to the option of a 2-way fridge if that's important to you? It sounds like this brand has them, just the ones that you've seen weren't ordered that way.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
jlgail4309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 438
My first RV and got a Electric fridge and it a pain in the !!!! I was worried about it before I bought the trailer. It runs the battery down so fast. I'm planning a 2 battery and a bigger converter to try and help. Maybe a bigger HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR to help with the power drain.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2013 Salem Cruise light 19bh
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
My first RV and got a Electric fridge and it a pain in the !!!! I was worried about it before I bought the trailer. It runs the battery down so fast. I'm planning a 2 battery and a bigger converter to try and help. Maybe a bigger HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR to help with the power drain.
If you bought this expecting to boondock much, you made a mistake. It will be great if you plan to be at campgrounds with power outlets most of the time.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I guess I'm missing it with the angst and anger and short-sightedness comments. Motorhomes and some larger campers are coming with full sized residential fridges that are 120v only. With the proper battery and inverter setup, they're fairing just fine.

In this case, it's a smaller fridge and again- depending on your usage of the camper, a 120v only fridge may be sufficient. If you can plug it in at home to get it cold, it'll stay cold for the duration of most drives to campgrounds.

As for back to square one of trailer shopping- why not look for campers that have upgraded to the option of a 2-way fridge if that's important to you? It sounds like this brand has them, just the ones that you've seen weren't ordered that way.
The assumption that a "camper" fridge only has to stay cold until you find another plug is actually kind of funny.

As for your first paragraph: All a battery does is store the power that comes from somewhere else. An inverter turns the power upside down so you don't have line loss. Even the most sophisticated inverter creates no power of its own. The power has to come from someplace, it has to be generated. The notion that you can run a residential fridge (or air conditioning) by improving your inverter or batteries is inaccurate.

All of the small, lightweight, trailers that I shopped on the net within 200 miles of me had electric-only fridges.
woozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 14,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I guess I'm missing it with the angst and anger and short-sightedness comments. Motorhomes and some larger campers are coming with full sized residential fridges that are 120v only. With the proper battery and inverter setup, they're fairing just fine.

In this case, it's a smaller fridge and again- depending on your usage of the camper, a 120v only fridge may be sufficient. If you can plug it in at home to get it cold, it'll stay cold for the duration of most drives to campgrounds.

As for back to square one of trailer shopping- why not look for campers that have upgraded to the option of a 2-way fridge if that's important to you? It sounds like this brand has them, just the ones that you've seen weren't ordered that way.
I talked to a (Top of the line,5er owner) who had a RES/120 only Refer. He had (2) BIG batt. and the Inverter. He said if it were not for his Big gen option he would (NOT) be Happy with the (120)only Refer. He also said he could only run (1) A/C at a time,even with the (Big) optional Gen. He said he needed a (Bigger) optional Gen. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #17
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 8,865
Telling a prospective customer that a 120v fridge is fine if you get an
extra battery is SO BAD!!

Why they are selling these is simple--
RV fridge with 2 way power cost $750 to $1000 plus expense of added vents
and gas line. This is small 4 or 5 cu ft for small trailer...
Small dorm type compressor fridge cost ~ $160 or less plus much simpler
installation.

They just lowered the sticker price of the trailer by nearly $1000 by putting
in a cheap AC fridge.

Some folks always have AC when camping. We like camping off the grid
or at least having that option.
In fact we're camping off the grid 2 days in a couple weeks. I'll watch
a little TV using my cigarette socket inverter and "dazzle" them with my
new 12v LED light strip and drink a cold one out of my LP gas
powered fridge.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-35
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
...
As for your first paragraph: All a battery does is store the power that comes from somewhere else. An inverter turns the power upside down so you don't have line loss. Even the most sophisticated inverter creates no power of its own. The power has to come from someplace, it has to be generated. The notion that you can run a residential fridge (or air conditioning) by improving your inverter or batteries is inaccurate.
Uh, excuse me sir, but your conclusion is incorrect.

Yes, a battery stores energy (how much is determined by the size). Multiple batteries store more energy.

An inverter does not "turn the power upside down". I agree that there can be less line loss at 120v than at 12v, but that's not the goal. The goal is to power a device that was designed for 120v.

I absolutely guarantee that you can run your AC by improving your batteries and inverter to the necessary level. A residential fridge takes a lot lower "necessary level" and that upgrade is commonly done.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
The assumption that a "camper" fridge only has to stay cold until you find another plug is actually kind of funny.
You're missing my point. My point is, for some campers- the assumption is perfectly fine. I don't know your camping style and it may very well not be a good option for you. But, to call it all hogwash and stupid is a gross generalization that is just silly and inaccurate. As I said before, for my style of camping, I likely could get by with a residential fridge setup if I had better parking accommodations at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
All of the small, lightweight, trailers that I shopped on the net within 200 miles of me had electric-only fridges.
Then plan on ordering a trailer customized to how you want it. It'll be an extra grand for the options (based off of Dan's math), but you'll still get the floorplan and layout of this camper with the fridge that you demand.

Again, I don't get the "back to square one" comment.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Uh, excuse me sir, but your conclusion is incorrect.

Yes, a battery stores energy (how much is determined by the size). Multiple batteries store more energy.

An inverter does not "turn the power upside down". I agree that there can be less line loss at 120v than at 12v, but that's not the goal. The goal is to power a device that was designed for 120v.

I absolutely guarantee that you can run your AC by improving your batteries and inverter to the necessary level. A residential fridge takes a lot lower "necessary level" and that upgrade is commonly done.
Thanks, Barry. I know very little about electricity, but I do know that to plug in a 120v device, you need an inverter. An inverter gets its power from battery/ies. 2 batteries give you more stored power than 1.

I don't see where my general statement was incorrect.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, fridge

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.