Originally Posted by agodfrey1192
@wmtire I just spoke with my electrician and that is exactly what happened. they used a double pole breaker and wired it for 220v. he changed it all out and it is good. As far as appliances go when i hooked into the regular 110v outlet with my 30 AMP plug adapter the a/c, tv, and radio worked but i did not try the refer or the microwave. the display worked on the microwave though. I can't really argue with the electrician because they did what we asked them to do. they wired in a 30 amp service. although we specifically told them it was for an RV they probably knew no difference.
The radio is actually 12 volt, and will operate off of the converter or battery.
I hope the major appliances are not harmed. The air conditioners are usually spared unless someone attempts to turn them on while connected to 240 volts (which you stated you did).
However, the converter may be dead or could give up the ghost soon.
What the converter does is to take 120 volt AC and converts it to 12 volt DC.....in order to supply power to the things in your RV that require 12 volt to operate. Examples are your lights, furnace fans, pumps, fridge on propane, thermostats, vent fans, etc. The converter also recharges your battery.
When you are not plugged into a form of 120 volt shore power, then these items run directly off of your 12 volt battery instead of the converter. This way you are able to camp when at places without electricity. You just can't use the air conditioner, microwave, television, or anything that plugs into a 120 volt outlet when not plugged into shore power. Everything else in the RV operates off 12 volt DC power.
Mark Polk has a good article on converters that explain the function better:
Even if you toasted the converter off the bat when you hooked up to 240 volts, then the battery still provides power to the items....so the 12 volt stuff will continue to work until the battery depletes (it can't recharge if the converter isn't functioning).
The converter almost always goes when the situation of 240 volts is applied. It usually goes fast, but we have some instances in these forums of it failing rather quickly soon after. Based on these experiences, I will be crossing my fingers for you, but realistically expecting at least a converter replacement in your near to immediate future.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but don't know of a way to sugarcoat it. Thing is, it happens and you will get past it as our other camping compatriots have. It's a learning experience...and not only for yourself, but the electrician also.