Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Electrical problem

The 25a blade fuse that has my fridge on it keeps blowing. Turned fridge off and on to gas and still blew. Any thoughts. Help please. We are out camping and need your help and input.

Anyone know what else is on this circuit.
dkwin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #2

Since turning the fridge onto propane cuts off the 120V feed, there seems to be a short somewhere. I have found more than a few spots where wires were rubbing against sharp objects and would have eventually wore through and shorted out.
First thing though, I would disconnect the fridge from the 120V supply, just in case it is an internal short. I would imagine that the fridge is simply plugged into an outlet, accessible through the outside access doors?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwin1 View Post
The 25ablade fuse that the fridge is on keeps popping. Shut the fridge off and to gas. Still blew fuse. Battery is just about empty. Could this be the problem
The battery is about empty because there is a 12 volt DC short in your fridge.

12 volt DC is required to power your fridge. The 120 volt "shore power" is only used to run the heater. Everything else is 12 volt DC.

The only difference between shore power and propane is how you heat the ammonia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit diagram.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	34249  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Borrowed a charger from the resort and am charging the battery. Put a new fuse in and has not popped yet. Seems like must have good charged battery in order to work. Keeping fingers crossed that this fixed the problem. Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #5

Iff there was a short why would the fridge work at all. Wouldnt it pop the fuse immediately.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwin1 View Post
Iff there was a short why would the fridge work at all. Wouldnt it pop the fuse immediately.
It depends on what is bad. Are you using shore power to run the fridge?
If so all of the propane related 12 volt DC "stuff" is not powered (like the gas solenoid and DSI circuits).

Switch to Gas and see what happens...
Old 06-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

Charging the battery and all is fine. Seems like the battery being real low was the problem. We are here for a week so we will see how the battery holds up. Maybe that the battery is bad. Just happy it is working now that the battery is charged.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Just find it had to believe a low battery will blow fuses. Fuses open due to high current (and the resulting heat) and that is not something a low battery can provide.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #9

you may want to check the 12V connections at the fuse panel and at the refrigerator access panel. loose connections can cause fuses to blow as well. probably wouldn't hurt to find the (-) dc bar and check those connections too, as well as battery and battery disconnect connections.

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Just find it had to believe a low battery will blow fuses. Fuses open due to high current (and the resulting heat) and that is not something a low battery can provide.
X2. How is it that your battery is not being charged by the converter in the unit. Notwithstanding your experience, a low battery cannot blow fuses by itself, there must be something else going on. I would vote on an intermittent 12volt short that probably exists in the positive wire between the fuse box and the fridge or wherever the wiring on that circuit goes. If it is accessible, you may run a new wire from the panel to the fridge and keep it ready to hook up if this happens again.

Just a thought.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #11

Thanks again for everyones feedback. As I stated earlier I charged the battery for about 3 hours and since then I have not had the problem. Just returned back from a 8 day trip and we have not had the problem since charging the battery. We are leaving again for another week in 3 weeks and i will post update after we arrive there. Thanks again. This forum is awesome.