Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Electrical Surge Protection

I am looking for suggestions on surge protector at RV Campgrounds. I have heard yes and not needed. I have heard pay $75 to $400 for protection. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Vern
vlosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #2

Question for you, how much to replace all your on board electronics from the fridge, furnace, AC, microwave, television, etc? Get an EMS unit from Progressive Industries and you'll sleep good knowing you're protected from surges as well as low power from the pedestal. Link:
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
Old 06-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #3

Which is the best rated one for protection and the cost?

All of this electrical talk is confusing to a non-electrician.

Thanks, Vern
vlosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

Progressive Industries EMS System (not just the Surge Protector).

99,082 folks will soon chime in to agree with me. It's the #1 item you have to have if you camp at campgrounds.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlosh View Post
Which is the best rated one for protection and the cost?

All of this electrical talk is confusing to a non-electrician.

Thanks, Vern
I can't say anything about a protection vs. cost study. I know less about "bang for buck" evaluation techniques than I do about electricity which ain't all that much.... but I read enough on this site about Electrical Management Systems from Progressive Industries, I bought their 50a hardwired unit for my 50a trailer. It has performed admirably. It was hard for this old man to install lying on my side and reaching my right arm through the furnace input air grate - since my right shoulder suffered damage from too much baseball as a kid.

Do a search for "Progressive Industries" or EMS and see what you find.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #6

Vern,
Do you have a 30AMP or 50AMP camper? Would you like a portable or hard wired unit? Definately get one of the EMS units for better protection (white/grey dot or blue dot). The 'PT' are the portable units and the 'HW' are the hard wired units. Here's a chart from the link I sent you.

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/439d5a...25169c753f.pdf
Old 06-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #7

I don't like to spend money... I have a PI 50 amp HW unit and never want to be without. You can actually see what is going on with the power supply and your RV. Good investment. I have said this a couple times or so... On our maiden voyage home with no EMS installed. We stopped at 4 campgrounds and 2 had bad pedestals.. one sizzled when I turned on the breaker and one had no power on one leg. I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlosh View Post
I am looking for suggestions on surge protector at RV Campgrounds. I have heard yes and not needed. I have heard pay $75 to $400 for protection. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Vern

Campgrounds can be a "perfect storm" for electrical issues... which can (and usually does) affect the end user (you, the camper and consumer of the campground's electricity).

Problems can stem from (but not limited to):
Over the years the campground has expanded and added pedestals, but did not upgrade their infrastructure to handle the expansion correctly.
Little/no/questionable maintenance (to save money, diy "electricians", don't care, etc.).
Normal wear/tear from daily usage (plugging/unplugging)
Damage from impacts, digging, etc.

The most common problem I have run into is low voltage. This is a problem for campgrounds that have over expanded and/or never used big enough wire for the demand and/or distance. It is very noticeable when the campground is at or near capacity and everyone is running their air conditioners. Low voltage can wreak havoc on your equipment and you may not even know it.

Of all the things I have purchased, an EMS is the one I feel is most valuable. It is cheaper than one air conditioner. Think about how much stuff you have in your camper that can be damaged?
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Question for you, how much to replace all your on board electronics from the fridge, furnace, AC, microwave, television, etc? Get an EMS unit from Progressive Industries and you'll sleep good knowing you're protected from surges as well as low power from the pedestal. Link:
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
X2

Right after buying my TT, I put in the hard-wired EMS (30 Amp). So long as I was doing related work, I got rid of the "mouse hole" and put in a power inlet and now have a detachable power cord. I thought it was good insurance to have a whole house surge protector in my main C/B panel at home, looked at it the same way with regards to the TT. It may not be a matter of IF it happens but rather WHEN it happens.
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
King of the Road

Definitely get an EMS, not just a surge protector.

Three things I won't travel without...

My PI 30A EMS (portable)
My OTG 16000 grain (1600 gallon approx per refresh) water softener (portable)
My adjustable water pressure regulator (portable )

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #11

Look at it as insurance. What does it cost and how long does it take to get an a/c, microwave, tv, converter, etc. replaced after damage from spikes, surges, sags and strikes? A Progressive Industries unit will protect against all that plus make sure the pedestal you plugged into is wired correctly. Not cheap to replace/repair all the electrical/electronic stuff in your trailer.

Actually, a one time insurance cost of a PI unit is pretty doggone inexpensive for the protection you get.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

I agree with what others have said. Below is what I posted to another thread just moments ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Get a Progressive Industries EMS. They are built with monitoring system and a solenoid inside. If the monitor detects any fault, (low voltage, high voltage, line frequency high, open neutral, open ground, reverse polarity, hot-ground miss-wired) it tell you what the problem is and not let the solenoid energize. Thus, you will be protected and no damage to your sensitive electrical equipment will occur. It also monitors the incoming power and if you get high, low voltage or line frequency problems the solenoid will drop out, turning off power to your RV.

Many on this forum and others , me included, will tell you they are the best investment they ever made. Sure, it's expensive, $ 299 for a 30 amp, $499 for a 50 amp. but your electronics will cost more if they are damaged.

I know what can happen, a friend at our CG went through it 2 years ago, took out his 50 amp converter, tv, battery (converter sent high voltage to battery as it went), plus the cost of having mobile repair.
What has not been mentioned is they have a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:03 AM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5179.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	141200
Carl Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 AM   #14

This is what I have - it works great
Carl Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 AM   #15

I love our PI 50A EMS. Best investment you can make in your RV. I sleep well every night knowing it's plugged in.
Jerry33IK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical