Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Question Entertainment Wiring Mislabeled?

I know many of you have experienced mislabeling of controls, switches and yes, Satellite / TV / Cable jacks. No different for us.

We just got a 2104 Columbus 365RL and when I went to test connections, it was no surprise at all that several didn't work. Now I know, most folks would say, "You should have caught that at the PDI and made the dealer fix it." For some, that might be the best solution. For me, it is not.

First, I don't trust other people's work. I trust mine.
Second, I haven't found much of anything I couldn't fix and fix right.
Third, now I *KNOW* that every connection and jack have been verified clean and tight and there are no pinched (or stapled) wires / cables. I also know *EXACTLY* where everything goes and that as expected, the labeling was incorrect. (And I'll fix re-label it later)

OK, that said, and just in case you might have a similar model... I've worked up a wiring diagram. The jack labels in this diagram are they way they came from the factory.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #2

Sounds like someone else I know (me).

Great job on the diagram!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

LOL! No wonder our wiring was labeled wrong. It was a 2104 model and those aren't going to be available for some time. <blush>

OK, it's really a 2014 model. For some reason, I am not able to edit the post. Odd.

Hmm... even stranger, I was able to select edit on this post and add this line.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The edit feature is time limited to the original poster...not sure of the length of time. Once the edit button no longer appears in the lower, left corner, the ability to edit is gone.

If you really need to edit something afterwards, you can 'report' the post and ask the FRF site team to edit it for you.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Dave,

Thank you very much. That explains it. It was really a simple typo and no biggie.

Humbly,

Dutch

Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

The user edit function is available for a longish time 15 minutes or more.
Just go back and re-read your post and if there are problems just hit the edit button like Dave said. You can even go to the "advanced" menu selection to add more photos or emoticons.

Moderators and Admins have "edit" available always.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

OK, so I was PM'd by someone asking about their wiring and if they could get a copy of the diagram I did. I told them "sure", but... it is for our RV and most (more likely ALL) others will be different.

But what occurred to me was that maybe if I showed how I did it, many others would realize that it's very easy to do this for your RV and *know for sure* how you wiring goes and is labeled.

So... here goes.

DISCLAIMER AND ASSUMPTIONS
  • If there is equipment attached to the entertainment cabling, it *could* be damaged by this test. DISCONNECT ALL OF IT FIRST!
  • This test may not correctly indicate if a cable has been pinched, cut, stapled, nailed, screwed, folded or mutilated by the factory or any previous work)
  • This test ASSUMES that the cabling is in good condition and "properly" terminated and connected to the RV jacks
  • This test makes NO ASSUMPTION about the validity or accuracy of any labeling on the jacks. (actually, it is WHY we are doing the test. )

TOOLS
  • Ohm meter (digital or analog, makes no difference)
  • 2 small safety pins, NOTE the bending! (the pin shaft should be the same size as the center condutctor of your RG6 / RG58 etc cable)
  • Pen and paper

PROCEDURE
  • TURN OFF ALL connected devices to the RV entertainment system! (this is critical for safety and accuracy)
  • DISCONNECT ALL interior cables for Satellite, TV, and Cable (at the wall jack and outside jacks)
    (NOTE - I know one of the pics below shows that I have 2 of 3 jacks still connected, BUT, I already diagrammed the circuits and took this picture on a single circuit that was disconnected on both ends. )
  • Insert the "loopback" safety pin (the one with the 90* bend near the head) into a circuit jack (see pics, below)
  • Insert the "test probe" safety pin into all other circuit jacks, ONE AT A TIME and use the ohm meter to check for continuity between the outer jack conductor (threads) and the inner jack conductor (inserted "test probe" safety pin). (see pics, below)
  • Note results (see "RESULTS", below) on a sheet of paper and draw your diagram from that (see my diagram pic, below)

RESULTS
  • Continuity indicated = closed circuit (active circuit)
  • Continuity NOT indicated = open circuit (INactive circuit)

Hope that helps!

Old 12-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

I have a 2013 Columbus 365RL and it is wired like this. Hope you don't mind me modifying your diagram Dutch. I was a little miffed to see there was no cable hooked to the back of the SAT connection in the basement. We do a lot of Tailgating and want a TV outside.

rmason8092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Wow. That really doesn't surprise me. Hopefully, the rest of the diagram can be useful for you. In our case, once I mapped it all out, the only thing I really need to do is re-label the outlets.

And on that topic, this is our second RV that has the waste water controls mislabeled.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #10

Base speaker connection for Genesis GT 3.0

I believe you have the same DVD/surrround sound system that is on my 2014 Puma 25rs. Do you know which output wires are for the base speaker. When they built mine I had them to not hook up the base speaker because I wanted to relocate it. Now I don't know which wires to connect it to. Thanks.
jwb41950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, wiring