Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 2
ever chill refrigerator wd-282fwdc stopped cooling

i have a 2018 puma with a ever chill refrigerator wd-282fwdc. it worked great until recently. the freezer keeps everything frozen but the fridge stopped cooling. the thermostat is set at the max cooling. i tested the thermostat. I am an electrician that does a lot of controls troubleshooting. the thermostat closes so i don't believe that's it. according to to this schematic i found id doesn't seem the freezer has a separate control system. so i am confused
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refrige schem.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	216940  
khalema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 9,051
Is the fridge still under warranty?

Most of those type fridges pass cold air from the freezer to the fridge through ducted ports. They could be frosted closed. I'd pull the inside cover off either the freezer or fridge (whichever is easier) and see if the path is open.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Is the fridge still under warranty?

Most of those type fridges pass cold air from the freezer to the fridge through ducted ports. They could be frosted closed. I'd pull the inside cover off either the freezer or fridge (whichever is easier) and see if the path is open.
Yup, remove the 2 upper most screws in the back of the freezer. Pull from the top to pull the cover down then out of their slots on the bottom. I had to use some socket head gripper to get purchase on the phillip head screws. They are #2, but one had rounded corners and I just couldn't get it to start turning.

We never lost cooling to the fridge, but did have lots of water leakage. As noted by Bama Rambler, this fridge cools in the freezer, with a slider to monitor the cold air ducted into the fridge area.

The ducts are smallish and if you have enough ice build up in the freezer section, you will get minimal or no cooling to the fridge area.

This fridge is exactly like the low end residential models, really no difference. From my experience with this fridge, the drain line freezes preventing water from exiting the coils and down the drain line to evaporate. Ice then builds up and just blocks more stuff.

If you pull the freezer cover, it'll tell you if you are iced over. I suspect you are iced over, as the freezer cools still.

If you are not iced over, then pull the cover in the fridge section, again socket head gripper helps here on the 3 phillips head screws as the cover has a deep recess. It's just ducting, but potentially the slider is closed or out of it's tracks and closed.
kcumjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1
I would like to know your solution. I have the same everchill refrigerator doing same thing, but evaporator fan started cycling on and off every 5 seconds and making growling sound when running. It has now stopped running any time and I cannot find a fan motor on internet. I bought the camper in March 2019 so itís under warranty but it would be cheaper for me to buy a fan motor than to haul the camper 70 miles to nearest forest river repair shop and leave it for them to tell me I need a fan motor and order it from everchill call me to haul it home until they can get the part in and I take it back for them to take out 4 screws to install new fan in 5 minutes.
Clad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 2
sorry took me so long to respond i have been working crazy hours. well i opened the back of the freezer. this is what i found. thawed it out it works like new now. just have to keep an eye on it in the future. guess the defrost doesn't work so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freexer.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	218140  
khalema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clad View Post
I would like to know your solution. I have the same everchill refrigerator doing same thing, but evaporator fan started cycling on and off every 5 seconds and making growling sound when running. It has now stopped running any time and I cannot find a fan motor on internet. I bought the camper in March 2019 so itís under warranty but it would be cheaper for me to buy a fan motor than to haul the camper 70 miles to nearest forest river repair shop and leave it for them to tell me I need a fan motor and order it from everchill call me to haul it home until they can get the part in and I take it back for them to take out 4 screws to install new fan in 5 minutes.
Mines doing the same this same thing ever found a solution?
jasonrulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3
His solution was to defrost the coils in the freezer. Look at the photo in the above post. I have the same issue, but haven't taken the cover off yet. I suspect I'll find the same thing behind mine.
Maddax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrulf View Post
Mines doing the same this same thing ever found a solution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddax View Post
His solution was to defrost the coils in the freezer. Look at the photo in the above post. I have the same issue, but haven't taken the cover off yet. I suspect I'll find the same thing behind mine.
In really warm weather, these fridges run constantly, especially with young kids who stand with the door open looking for something.

The coils ice over real quick and the defrost cycle cannot keep up. Most of the time, the drain line freezes over (from the condenser running so much), which doesn't allow the defrost cycle to push the water down to the evap area under the fridge. This ices the coils, which covers the ducts and then no cooling to the fridge.

I pulled my cover a few weeks ago to check and I had very little ice build up. But vents were open and drain was open. It was purely a precaution check.
kcumjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:56 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 2
Solution Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcumjc View Post
In really warm weather, these fridges run constantly, especially with young kids who stand with the door open looking for something.

The coils ice over real quick and the defrost cycle cannot keep up. Most of the time, the drain line freezes over (from the condenser running so much), which doesn't allow the defrost cycle to push the water down to the evap area under the fridge. This ices the coils, which covers the ducts and then no cooling to the fridge.

I pulled my cover a few weeks ago to check and I had very little ice build up. But vents were open and drain was open. It was purely a precaution check.
Mine frosted and fan ran for a while with ice on the blades which in turn burnt the fan motor up it would cycle on and off. After a bunch of research I could not find a direct replacement but I did find a similar fan motor for 15$.It was same size, voltage, and amperage rating. The only thing is the oem fan had the 3 wires hard wired into it and the new fan had a plug. I cut the wires off the OEM fan and soldered them to the pins of the new fan and been running like a champ. I attached the link below.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jasonrulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 14
Geo Pro Frig

Does anyone have a new Geo Pro with an Everchill frig yet?
amoeba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 25,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoeba3 View Post
Does anyone have a new Geo Pro with an Everchill frig yet?
You need to post this question, in the Rockwood sub-forum, not the General Tech and Repair section. It's a model-specific question.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 1
Same issue

Did you find a place to buy the replacement fan motor? We are having the same issue.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Clad View Post
I would like to know your solution. I have the same everchill refrigerator doing same thing, but evaporator fan started cycling on and off every 5 seconds and making growling sound when running. It has now stopped running any time and I cannot find a fan motor on internet. I bought the camper in March 2019 so itís under warranty but it would be cheaper for me to buy a fan motor than to haul the camper 70 miles to nearest forest river repair shop and leave it for them to tell me I need a fan motor and order it from everchill call me to haul it home until they can get the part in and I take it back for them to take out 4 screws to install new fan in 5 minutes.
Dgj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1
Send a message via AIM to Puma32RKTSSSS Send a message via MSN to Puma32RKTSSSS Send a message via Yahoo to Puma32RKTSSSS
Re: EVER Chill Model WD-282FWDC problem

My EVER Chill started frosting up over a month ago and now have to use a hairdryer to defrost it every week. Everything seems to be working fine except it keeps frosting up and I followed the directions on how to adjust it. It also said in the downloaded directions that this model is a stand alone and should not be encased. And they put them in RVs? Would appreciate any help before I have to pay to have someone look at it.
Puma32RKTSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #14
Site Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 9,051
Sounds like the defrost controller has quit working.
I'm not familiar with how the defrost is controlled on that unit, but if there's a wiring diagram on the back or on an access cover it may be possible to fix it or replace it with a mechanical defrost timer.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1
Ours was froze up as discussed. We thawed with a hair dryer as discussed. The fan motor is getting power, but is not coming on, therfore freezing up again.

Need suggestions please!!









Quote:
Originally Posted by Clad View Post
I would like to know your solution. I have the same everchill refrigerator doing same thing, but evaporator fan started cycling on and off every 5 seconds and making growling sound when running. It has now stopped running any time and I cannot find a fan motor on internet. I bought the camper in March 2019 so itís under warranty but it would be cheaper for me to buy a fan motor than to haul the camper 70 miles to nearest forest river repair shop and leave it for them to tell me I need a fan motor and order it from everchill call me to haul it home until they can get the part in and I take it back for them to take out 4 screws to install new fan in 5 minutes.
DonnaCarol11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 4
Everchill bottom not cooling

I have the same issue on the everchill wd-282fwdc 2019. Freezer works fine, fridge section does not. I replaced the fan in the freezer because it was not running. The freezer was not froze up either. New fan still does not work. I tested the plug and it has voltage going to it, both old and new fan. Compressor kicks in and runs.
Any other ideas that could help because I certainly do not want to purchase another one unless absolutely necessary. (The outdoor kitchen everchill works just fine).
Thanks in advance.
Emtlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:46 AM   #17
Site Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 9,051
See comments interspersed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtlp View Post
Freezer works fine, fridge section does not.

I replaced the fan in the freezer because it was not running. The freezer was not froze up either. Are you sure that the passage between the fridge and freezer isn't frozen up behind the panel?

New fan still does not work. I tested the plug and it has voltage going to it.
What voltage did you get when you tested it?
Did you test voltage with the fan plugged into the connector?


Compressor kicks in and runs.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 3
Ever chill stopped working

We have a new 2021 Puma for just over 3 weeks now. Last night we discovered everything in the freezer was thawed out and not Cooling. Model No. WD-282FWDC.
Does anyone know why it would just stop working? We are plugged in at home on a 50 amp plug. We have electricity in the camper. The fan and light come on in the refrigerator. I reset the power button hoping that would work but the compressor still wonít work. Breaker is fine.
rustyg231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #19
Site Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 9,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyg231 View Post
We have a new 2021 Puma for just over 3 weeks now. Last night we discovered everything in the freezer was thawed out and not Cooling. Model No. WD-282FWDC.
Does anyone know why it would just stop working? We are plugged in at home on a 50 amp plug. We have electricity in the camper. The fan and light come on in the refrigerator. I reset the power button hoping that would work but the compressor still wonít work. Breaker is fine.
It's likely a bad unit. With a unit that new I'd contact the dealer immediately and have them handle it. You can try contacting EverChill (WayInterglobal) directly and they may have a service center near you. Here's one phone number I found (574) 971-4490.

Here's a warranty form on their website. Wayinterglobal Warranty Submission
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:33 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 3
Thank you, I will contact them.
rustyg231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooling, refrigerator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.