Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #1

Everchill 12V Fridge leaking cold air from freezer

I've been hearing a beeping coming from, what I think is the refrigerator, before the compressor kicks in.

I was looking the fridge over and also noticed there is cold air coming out of the bottom of the freezer door. There is a metal piece there that I think is protruding far enough out to keep the magnetic seal from engaging. What is the purpose of this metal bar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freezerdoor.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	247514   Click image for larger version

Name:	freezerdoormetalpiece.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	247515  
SadieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #2

Is this "bar" magnetic? If so it might be part of an "Open Door" alarm with a magnetic switch directly behind where it sits when door is closed.

Just guessing. If a new unit under warranty this should be a covered "fix".

A temporary fix might be just adding a layer or two of electrical tape in the lower edge of the freezer in the parts this metal "bar" doesn't touch so the seal can actually "seal".
Then contact Dealer or Independent Repair Person. They may be able to perform a warranty repair if FR agrees.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Is this "bar" magnetic? If so it might be part of an "Open Door" alarm with a magnetic switch directly behind where it sits when door is closed.

Just guessing. If a new unit under warranty this should be a covered "fix".

A temporary fix might be just adding a layer or two of electrical tape in the lower edge of the freezer in the parts this metal "bar" doesn't touch so the seal can actually "seal".
Then contact Dealer or Independent Repair Person. They may be able to perform a warranty repair if FR agrees.
Hi TitanMike,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm not sure if it's magnetic or not. I'll check this weekend. It is under warranty and I may go that route. It's just not very convenient. If it is just a magnet, I may try to take it off and seat it properly.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #4

I have the same Everchill refrig and just went out and looked at mine. I have the same metal block as you and it seems to stick out just about as far as the seal. I do not feel any cold air coming from mine and no alarm sounding.

Mike is probably correct, that it is a 'door left open' alarm sensor.

I suspect if mine was not sealing I'd eventually start seeing froze build up inside the freezer near the air leak. I never shut my refrig off. When not traveling, I just keep some water in the refrig and ice packs in the freezer and then set the temp to a higher number so the unit doesn't have to work hard, but runs.

I will keep an eye on mine. Let us know if you find a solution to your air leak and beeping.
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #5

SadieMae -

I went out and looked at mine closer and there is a small piece of sponge under the seal (between seal and door) above the metal block. It appears it is there to push the seal out some.

Sorry the photo is partially out of focus to to closeness and angle of camera but I think you can get the idea. Does yours have this piece of sponge?
-Russ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Everchill.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	247517  
Old 02-09-2021, 04:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrimm View Post
SadieMae -

I went out and looked at mine closer and there is a small piece of sponge under the seal (between seal and door) above the metal block. It appears it is there to push the seal out some.

Sorry the photo is partially out of focus to to closeness and angle of camera but I think you can get the idea. Does yours have this piece of sponge?
-Russ
There is some sort of cushion/sponge , but it is not as cleanly installed as yours is.

Sorry for the image, I don't have my trailer close at hand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	freezerdoormetalpiecezoom.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	247521  
Old 02-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
There is some sort of cushion/sponge , but it is not as cleanly installed as yours is.

Sorry for the image, I don't have my trailer close at hand.
You might want to see if you can 'tuck' it up under the seal more. Mine does cause the seal to slightly budge outward over the metal piece to make sure the seal hits the refrig when the door is closed.
-Russ
Old 02-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #8

I have the Everchill WD-127FDC that I got to replace the original Dometic.
Mine also leaked cold air from the same place. Those bars are magnetic and I assumed they are there to help keep the doors closed. I took them off. One on fridge door one on freezer door. once the seals reformed the doors both sealed better. No more cold air leak. The doors close and stay closed without them. Of course while traveling the door lock is engaged.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #9

Added better Photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Everchill2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	247525  
Old 02-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #10

Quote:
I have the same Everchill refrig and just went out and looked at mine. I have the same metal block as you and it seems to stick out just about as far as the seal. I do not feel any cold air coming from mine and no alarm sounding.

Mike is probably correct, that it is a 'door left open' alarm sensor.

I suspect if mine was not sealing I'd eventually start seeing froze build up inside the freezer near the air leak. I never shut my refrig off. When not traveling, I just keep some water in the refrig and ice packs in the freezer and then set the temp to a higher number so the unit doesn't have to work hard, but runs.

I will keep an eye on mine. Let us know if you find a solution to your air leak and beeping.
I was able to get the air leak stopped. I took a small flat head screwdriver and pushed that foam back up under the seal. It pushed it out enough to seal again. This is probably a short term fix. The foam had a sticky backing on it that wasn't sticking anymore. I'm sure it will come back out, but I can fix that.

However, this did not stop the beeping. It's a soft beep that happens right before the compressor comes on. Sometimes it won't beep at all, sometimes it will beep once and sometimes it will beep up to three times, but it happens right before the compressor kicks in.

I'm not 100% sure it's coming from the refrigerator but it sure sounds like it. The only other thing I can imagine it coming from is the Converter which is directly under the fridge. I've looked in both manuals and neither mention anything about beeping.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
I was able to get the air leak stopped. I took a small flat head screwdriver and pushed that foam back up under the seal. It pushed it out enough to seal again. This is probably a short term fix. The foam had a sticky backing on it that wasn't sticking anymore. I'm sure it will come back out, but I can fix that.

However, this did not stop the beeping. It's a soft beep that happens right before the compressor comes on. Sometimes it won't beep at all, sometimes it will beep once and sometimes it will beep up to three times, but it happens right before the compressor kicks in.

I'm not 100% sure it's coming from the refrigerator but it sure sounds like it. The only other thing I can imagine it coming from is the Converter which is directly under the fridge. I've looked in both manuals and neither mention anything about beeping.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Glad you got your freezer leak fixed.

I can't say that I have heard any beepings, but with my hearing (DW says I'm deaf .... I call it selective hearing ) I might not hear it.

I can't say that I have ever heard beeping from my converter, mine is alway under refrig.

What model coach do you have? What year?

Could it be the Carbon Monoxide sensor or the LP detector - they have a life expectance (4-5 yrs ??) and will start beeping when they get near their end of life. Sort of like smoke detectors that have batteries that chirp when their batteries are getting weak.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Glad you got your freezer leak fixed.

I can't say that I have heard any beepings, but with my hearing (DW says I'm deaf .... I call it selective hearing ) I might not hear it.

I can't say that I have ever heard beeping from my converter, mine is alway under refrig.

What model coach do you have? What year?

Could it be the Carbon Monoxide sensor or the LP detector - they have a life expectance (4-5 yrs ??) and will start beeping when they get near their end of life. Sort of like smoke detectors that have batteries that chirp when their batteries are getting weak.
I too may suffer from this selective hearing LOL

I have a 2021 Wildwood X lite 19DBXL. It's still under warranty and I may have to take it in, but it's such a hassle, and it seems to start about a day after the fridge has been turned on. I was hoping it would be something easy.

I'll investigate the LP/CO2 detector but it sure doesn't sound like it's coming from that direction.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
I too may suffer from this selective hearing LOL

I have a 2021 Wildwood X lite 19DBXL. It's still under warranty and I may have to take it in, but it's such a hassle, and it seems to start about a day after the fridge has been turned on. I was hoping it would be something easy.

I'll investigate the LP/CO2 detector but it sure doesn't sound like it's coming from that direction.
In my Vibe, the CO2/LP detector is one unit. In my previous coach they were separate.

My suggestion would be to shut off the Refrig (12v DC) for 5 minutes to reset the logic board to clear any possible error codes.

When I've done this, I simple removed the Fuse from the Fuse panel. It was clearly mark as Refig

Or you can disconnect from shore power (or shut off the breaker for the converter) to prevent the converter from producing 12v DC AND shut off the battery disconnect switch (mine is a red key switch outside on front of coach behind the LP Tanks).

Verify the Refrig is off - light in refrig shouldn't come on if you open the door.

As I said, doing this would clear any logic board error codes that may be causing the beeping.
-Russ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RefrigFuse.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	247940   Click image for larger version

Name:	12vCut.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	247941  
Old 06-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #14

Mine also beeps. Its very soft. Sometimes it beeps once and sometimes 3x in a row. I really thought it was the power center that is right under the fridge but just got off the phone with tech support for the power center and they said there is nothing in there unit that beeps or make any alarm sound.
chriscam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscam2 View Post
Mine also beeps. Its very soft. Sometimes it beeps once and sometimes 3x in a row. I really thought it was the power center that is right under the fridge but just got off the phone with tech support for the power center and they said there is nothing in there unit that beeps or make any alarm sound.
This sounds exactly like our situation and we still haven't figured out what is causing the beeping. I also thought maybe it was something in the power center because ours is directly under the fridge (like a low voltage alarm or something) but I got the same answer.

I dropped it at the dealer today to fix a few things under warranty and this is one of the items. Hopefully they will be able to figure it out. I'll update here when I get it back in 3-5 weeks!!!!!

Please let me know if you get an answer or figure anything out first.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:13 PM   #16

I have been trying to contact ever chill by phone and email. Really just want to understand what the beeping is. I assume they have some documents that decode the beeps. But they never got back to me. I called my dealership to ask about the beeps and they really didn't have an answer. They spent like 3 minutes with me on the phone, really were not interested in looking into it.

They just told me to pull the fridge out, bring it in and they would just give me a new one. I guess that's good. I am handy so replacing it does not bother me. I still want to know what the beeps mean. And I REALLY hope it is the fridge but I guess that's all it could be since the fuse box guys said there is no beeping on there stuff and the only thing next to the fuse box is the fridge....

Plus on out 1st trip we forgot to shut the latch on the fridge and it came open and put small dent in the door. So that will be nice to have that fixed.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #17

Posts like this make this forum an invaluable aid to all RVers
Old 09-12-2021, 10:07 PM   #18

Quote:
This sounds exactly like our situation and we still haven't figured out what is causing the beeping. I also thought maybe it was something in the power center because ours is directly under the fridge (like a low voltage alarm or something) but I got the same answer.

I dropped it at the dealer today to fix a few things under warranty and this is one of the items. Hopefully they will be able to figure it out. I'll update here when I get it back in 3-5 weeks!!!!!

Please let me know if you get an answer or figure anything out first.
Did your ever back from the dealership or get the beeping fixed?

Tags
fridge, leak