Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 03:19 AM   #1

Angry Everchill Fridge WD-282FWDC

Disappointed. The door on the fridge has a sticker saying the fridge is a Magic Chef and the door info states the same, however on looking up the model I found it was an Everchill fridge. How is this possible ??
Well, the fridge has never worked in this brand new unit which I have now had for 14 days and not been able to go on the road.
Camping World said it was a compressor problem and now I have to go to the trouble of finding a place that is authorized to repair the fridge.
Normando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:18 AM   #2

I'm not surprised that your EverChill is branded as a Magic Chef. Over the years, I have seen this happening more and more - where an item is made by one company and then rebranded by several others. Many portable ice makers are like that, for example.

My new Solaire 260FKBS has the same EverChill refrigerator as yours. I've only had it out several times, but am very impressed by how fast it cools, so I'm hoping that once yours gets fixed, you'll be happy with yours as well!
Old 09-03-2020, 04:43 AM   #3
Member: Old Man Club

I believe Everchill is a licensed product of Magic Chef, who is actually owned by Dixie Products (but I could be way off on that). Anyhow, I have an Everchill in my new Palomino and it works great. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but there is a sequence to turning this fridge on and off. First of all, did you know that it is a 12V only unit? No A/C current and no gas. Your battery MUST be fully charged and remain charged for this fridge to operate properly. When you open the door there should be a panel with numbers and one of them is flashing. You must push the button in and hold it for a full ten seconds until it stops flashing and turns solid blue. Relatively quickly you will hear the compressor kick in. The same sequence applies when turning it off. It may take up to 4 hours for your fridge to reach safe operating temp good enough to store food, and I have traveled 8 hours at a time with no loss of temperature (36 to 38 degrees). We have been out four times this year so far and have no problems with the Everchill other than the door lock is not the best, but is easily resolved with a bungee cord.

I hope that I have helped you here. I don't trust dealers to actually know anything about what they sell. Unless you have your own tech that actually knows his a** from a hole in the ground, I don't believe anything they tell me.

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:51 AM   #4

Everchill

I will give it another go. The blue light on 5 is flashing but when I hold it for 10 seconds the fridge cuts off. When I start it up the blue 5 is solid but after awhile it starts flashing again.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:52 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normando View Post
Disappointed. The door on the fridge has a sticker saying the fridge is a Magic Chef and the door info states the same, however on looking up the model I found it was an Everchill fridge. How is this possible ??
Well, the fridge has never worked in this brand new unit which I have now had for 14 days and not been able to go on the road.
Camping World said it was a compressor problem and now I have to go to the trouble of finding a place that is authorized to repair the fridge.
All these fridges are made overseas and the manufacturer will slap on any name or emblem the customer wants.
Just like the Westinghouse or Onan Cummins inverter generators. Exactly the same thing from a Chinese manufacturer, just a different color and name on the generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normando View Post
I will give it another go. The blue light on 5 is flashing but when I hold it for 10 seconds the fridge cuts off. When I start it up the blue 5 is solid but after awhile it starts flashing again.
Once the button turns solid color, just tap it until it reaches 2 and start there. 5 is the highest setting and may not start it. Remember that your battery must be fully charged for the fridge to operate (a big drawback for sure). If this doesn't work for you, I guess you will have to rely on your tech (hopefully you have a good one). You could also check online for appliance techs who may have worked with this type of unit. Perhaps they could offer better advice than I.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #7

Everchill fridge not working

Got in touch with Way Interglobal who have now opened a claim file. Lets see what happens from here. Will keep you posted.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:59 AM   #8

Fridge Issue

Well the problem continues. Now in its 16th day.
Way says it is a Magic Chef fridge, even though the model is Everchill and to contact Forest River.
Forest River tell me to go to one of their dealers to get the fridge fixed.
Camping World says they cannot handle compressor issues (they believe this is the problem) as freon involved. They sent me to an appliance firm who do not handle Magic Chef or Everchill.
This is the first time CW have had such an issue and are investigating further. I said they should replace the fridge to which they replied Forest River would not authorize this and insist on repairs being carried out.
In the meantime the rig is sitting in the port. Guess I bought the thing to admire it in a stationary state.
What a run around.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:49 AM   #9

Sounds like camping world is the problem.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDodger View Post
Remember that your battery must be fully charged for the fridge to operate (a big drawback for sure)..
Do you mean that as the battery is being depleted (when dry camping) that the everchill compressor fridge does not cool properly?
Rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #11

Everchill

The fridge has not worked from the start/ the day I bought the RV on Aug 20. I Have not been able to go camping because of this issue. I have the rig plugged into the shoreline and the battery reading on the monitor is anywhere from 13 to 14v
Old 09-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #12

Did you buy it from camping world? Is so send a message to Marcus Lemonis (I may name name wrong). He has lots of ads running that say if you’re not happy he’s not happy. The ads have his contact info. Others have reported some success with this approach.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #13

Try here under "Dear Marcus"
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...tings/forum/97
Old 09-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
Did you buy it from camping world? Is so send a message to Marcus Lemonis (I may name name wrong). He has lots of ads running that say if you’re not happy he’s not happy. The ads have his contact info. Others have reported some success with this approach.
Yes, I bought the rig from Camping World and sent an email to Lemonis on 9/4 and they gave me a ref number. With the holiday I will probably only hear back on Tuesday. If not they gave me a number to contact. Will keep you posted.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #15

I have the exact same issue with my 2020 Forester 3011ds. I am on shore power and I have to reset it several times a day. I get it working but it starts flashing again in a few hours.

I called Forest River and was told to take it to a dealer. Hard to do when you are on a cross country trip. And my camper is less than two months old.

Hope someone gets us answers on this thread.
AttilaTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbet View Post
Do you mean that as the battery is being depleted (when dry camping) that the everchill compressor fridge does not cool properly?
Exactly. You need to be hooked up to shore power or have a generator keeping your battery charged to operate this fridge properly. From what I understand, solar panels will not charge the system fast enough to keep this fridge running at peak performance. That's ok with us as we never dry camp, but could be an issue for a lot of folks, I reckon.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #17

Everchill fridge not working

Attila,
At least you get the thing to work sporadically. Mine is as dead as a door nail.
Camping Worlds washed their hands of the issue saying it was my responsibility under the warranty to get someone to fix it as they were not authorized to work on compressors or work with freon. The RV is 1 month old now and the only trips have been to CW.
Forest River told me to take it to a dealer and gave me a list of those within an 80 mile radius. Not one was willing to touch the fridge and one even went as far as telling me to dump it and get a new one.
After informing FR they agreed to replace the fridge., I wonder how long I will now have to wait before I can get the new one and have it installed.
In the meantime I can admire the RV in the port.
There really should be more accountability. After spending big bucks we are left hanging.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaTheHog View Post
I have the exact same issue with my 2020 Forester 3011ds. I am on shore power and I have to reset it several times a day. I get it working but it starts flashing again in a few hours.

I called Forest River and was told to take it to a dealer. Hard to do when you are on a cross country trip. And my camper is less than two months old.

Hope someone gets us answers on this thread.
You can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV tech. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge