Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #21

Hello. I got a used RV two years ago that fits this description. Could you tell me about the fridge though. When they say "two door", is that like a two-door side-by-side fridge at home, or are they talking about the freezer door and the fridge door being two doors. I'm guessing it's not mine with just one freezer and one fridge door right?

My fridge is not cooling well, so I thought this might be the reason. But I'm thinking not.
jnhgustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefatc View Post
realebill for my part, I haven't found any problem yet! I have to figure out how I turn it to 120vts!
It is a tiny rocker switch in the lower left corner under the outside cover of the water heater. Hard to reach in my installation and I am told some have a safety cotter pin through the switch.

MAKE SURE there is water in the tank at all times.

Running the 120 volt heater element dry WILL burn it out in seconds.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnhgustin View Post
Hello. I got a used RV two years ago that fits this description. Could you tell me about the fridge though. When they say "two door", is that like a two-door side-by-side fridge at home, or are they talking about the freezer door and the fridge door being two doors. I'm guessing it's not mine with just one freezer and one fridge door right?

My fridge is not cooling well, so I thought this might be the reason. But I'm thinking not.
I think the reference to 2 door is an over/under arrangement with 2 seperate doors.

Just get the model number from the inside of your fridge, and run it thought the numbers on the recall list.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #24

Thanks. I'll do that. It's stored about an hour away, so I was hoping to avoid it til I go again.

Can you tell me too, is there some way to set the "coldness" of the fridge, like I do on a regular fridge?
jnhgustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnhgustin View Post
Thanks. I'll do that. It's stored about an hour away, so I was hoping to avoid it til I go again.

Can you tell me too, is there some way to set the "coldness" of the fridge, like I do on a regular fridge?
Inside the refridgerator portion at the top you will see a metal unit with vertical fins (maybe 4 inches high) on a fin at one end (probably the right hand side) you will find a smallish sliding attachment. To adjust the temperature, slide this attachment up or down slightly. Don't remember right at this time which direction "up or down" is cooler, but experimentation will tell you that, if someone else doesn't chime in.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Inside the refridgerator portion at the top you will see a metal unit with vertical fins (maybe 4 inches high) on a fin at one end (probably the right hand side) you will find a smallish sliding attachment. To adjust the temperature, slide this attachment up or down slightly. Don't remember right at this time which direction "up or down" is cooler, but experimentation will tell you that, if someone else doesn't chime in.

...VTX-AL
Shucks, I can't ever remember either....thanks goodness for a little sticker there instructing me which way.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #27

Dometic Recall...Is it fixed?

We recently bought a used Rockwood and the fridge is included in the recall. Without going into great detail and boring you, I'll just say that I have no way of knowing if the previous owner had it fixed.

Is there an obvious way by looking to know if the upgrade has been done? I'm in there anyway to replace the 120v heating element. Thought maybe some of you folks who've had it done could help.

Thanks, Joe
smilin joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #28
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin joe View Post
We recently bought a used Rockwood and the fridge is included in the recall. Without going into great detail and boring you, I'll just say that I have no way of knowing if the previous owner had it fixed.

Is there an obvious way by looking to know if the upgrade has been done? I'm in there anyway to replace the 120v heating element. Thought maybe some of you folks who've had it done could help.

Thanks, Joe
Joe, thanks for your post. If it wasn't for you, I might have missed the info about the recall. This unit has had two prior owners and it slipped through the cracks. Called the local RV center this morning and it wasn't worked on. Before the call I did look inside the outside refer cover and it didn't appear that any mickey mouse alteration were made. maybe someone can post what a post repair system looks like.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin joe View Post

Thanks, Joe

Just thought I'd try again, by now this is probably not a very hot topic. I assume most people have already had the upgrade done. Maybe mine is too, just don't know what to look for.
smilin joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #30
carl.net

Just call Dometic per the recall notice.

"OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157."

They can tell you over the phone if the work has been done and tell you exactly who in your area has the parts on hand so you can get it repaired asap. I have a guy coming out Monday to fix mine.
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Why are they recalling them??
possibility for a crack in a weld. not repairing the weld just putting a shield and a heat sensor over it to shut down the frig in the event it does.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #32
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
possibility for a crack in a weld. not repairing the weld just putting a shield and a heat sensor over it to shut down the frig in the event it does.
I would assume that if the frig shut down because of the weld opening up they would make that repair.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #33
carl.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I would assume that if the frig shut down because of the weld opening up they would make that repair.
Only if your refrigerator is still under warranty.
Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender
Two 4.7 GXi I/O (2 x 320hp = 640hp)
Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #34
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.net View Post
Only if your refrigerator is still under warranty.
wait, you are saying that the government agreed to let them stick a disabling device on the frig instead of fixing the defect and if the defect does exist or manifest itself on your frig they won't repair the defect that IS THE SUBJECT OF THE RECALL unless it is still under warranty??? that doesn't sound right, at all.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #35
carl.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
wait, you are saying that the government agreed to let them stick a disabling device on the frig instead of fixing the defect and if the defect does exist or manifest itself on your frig they won't repair the defect that IS THE SUBJECT OF THE RECALL unless it is still under warranty??? that doesn't sound right, at all.
The short answer is yes.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:40 AM   #36

Since this thread was started back in 2008, one would think that it had been taken care, but in any case i posted a pic of the add on or what Dometic is doing about the problem, there is a little more to it then a piece of metal. If you open the access panel to the fridge on the out side of the camper this is what you should see if the recall was complete provided you unit is effected.

You do not have to wait for a recall card, check the model number and if you are effected call your dealer and make the appoitment, they will handle the rest. This is how i did it and there were no problems with Dometic or the dealer, i never received a recall card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the add on for the recall.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	3987  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #37
carl.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Since this thread was started back in 2008, one would think that it had been taken care of
Logical expectation. But for those of us who have purchased used trailers it seems that the prior owners may not have cared as much about their safety as those on this board...
Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.net View Post
Logical expectation. But for those of us who have purchased used trailers it seems that the prior owners may not have cared as much about their safety as those on this board...
You are correct, that is why i thought it would help if i posted a pic, i realize not everyone buys new. Some times a pic is worth a thousand words.

Some times it is better to post a new thread on and old subject so that way it would be up to date, but that's ok the info came through.....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #39

Have a norcold frig won't work on electric, freezer will get cold but not frig, works on propane though! Any hints to the problem Thanks Debbie
ladydabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #40
TT owners

I almost forgot all about this recall posting!

I just wanted to thank the members of this forum for posting the information on the Dometic refrigerator recall. Thanks to the posted information I was able to have the recall work performed on our Sierra TT at the end of last summer. No more worrying about possible fires while out for a weekend!

Again, thank you to the members of FRF!
3 kids
Sean&SuzieWkndr is offline   Reply With Quote