Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #1

Feeling dumb and hope someone can help with TV

I consider myself to be a fairly "techy" person, but I've thrown in the towel on this and turned to the forum. My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 257BHS. I have been unsuccessful in getting the television(Haier) to play sound through the A, B, or C Jensen speakers. Is that not possible, or am I missing a step somewhere? The volume on the TV is not great, so I'm hoping it's something I am overlooking. Thanks in advance for your help.
beanes71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #2

I would check to make sure there is an audio output lead plugged into the back of your TV. If so, then I would pull the Jensen unit and make sure the audio lead from the TV is in fact plugged into the Jensen.

When I first had my unit, my issue was the reverse. Sound would play through the Jensen, but not through the TV. No audio cable. :-)
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

I have to put ours on AV1 to get the sound on A, B & C. Don't remember(CRS) whether it's on the input or output.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #4

I had to go through my tv menu and set speaker output to ext speakers and then set stereo to aux 1
And insure there is a audio cord on r TV output sound connected to your stereo.
Insure speakers are turned on "a for speakers, b for sub woofer, and c for outside camper speakers.

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiowa View Post
I had to go through my tv menu and set speaker output to ext speakers and then set stereo to aux 1
And insure there is a audio cord on r TV output sound connected to your stereo.
Insure speakers are turned on "a for speakers, b for sub woofer, and c for outside camper speakers.
May be different in the MH, my A is living room, B is bedroom and C is outside.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We have to crank the volume really high to hear it
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
We have to crank the volume really high to hear it
Out of the tv itself or the A,B,C speakers? We can listen to the tv itself or thru the camper speakers.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #8
Site Team

There is no audio out of the TV into the stereo as set up from the factory. If you want the audio from the TV, to play through the stereo, you need to add a stereo plug into the back of the TV ( Headphone jack not PC audio) and run it to the aux input on the stereo.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:07 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Have no idea how ours is wired, the local Dish tech came out, spent about and hour, wrote down what buttons to push on the 2 remotes and left, $55. We like how it works, can watch whatever is playing on the lr on Dish in the bedroom or outside by tuning to Ch 3 or watch whatever else is over the air on the roof antenna.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #10

Flybob is correct. Our 2015 FE 246RKS needed a wire from the TV output to an input on the Stereo. I was lucky to discover our particular stereo model had an unused spare input on the back of the unit, so I popped it out of its mount, plugged everything in and after some creative routing of the wiring so you can't see it, any input I add to the TV (specifically HDMI connected devices such as a Bluray player, Chrome cast, or Apple TV) can send sound via the stereo speakers OR TV speakers or both.
drobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #11

Mine only works with A(inside) & C(outside). My B (I thought would be the bedroom)doesn't work at all. I need to check the wires.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #12

Mine will only have sound when I use the DVD player or stereo. I put a sound bar above the TV. Really helps the sound but I'll probably get thrown out of the campground for using it. No problem hearing that thing.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #13

Our Flagstaff had an audio and video wall plate under the TV. The sound from the Consertone Radio/DVD/MP3/XM comes through the sound sound speaker. The TV audio has RCA cables from the audio output from the TV that allows for us to hear regular over the air tv sound through the sound system. Ifthese RCAs are unplugged sound is only hear through the speakers when a DVD/Radio/MP3/XM radio is played.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #14

Summary: Check output options from TV; both physical connections (audio out or earphone jack) and internal menu selections (internal speaker, audio out or both). Audio out or earphone jack should be connected to amplifier (ie Aux 1) and selected. Note: Using earphone jack is most likely to mute TV's speakers but allow volume control from TV. Hearing "ghost sound" from amp speakers could be bleed through from making wrong selection and you will get a blast when getting it right!! It was interesting to read that a subwoofer was connected as B speaker out on a Jensen amp. Our Toshiba TV seems to have been modified in the factory by Georgetown as it did not come with audio out and there are transformers on that connecting cable that may be intended to reduce signal if coming from speaker leads inside TV or as an interference aid.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #15

It's also possible that your unit cannot convert digital to analog sound. If I were you I would make sure that you are testing from an analog sound device, such as a analog TV channel as opposed to a digital source such as a DVD.
milleniumkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
Mine only works with A(inside) & C(outside). My B (I thought would be the bedroom)doesn't work at all. I need to check the wires.
I had a similar problem with the outside speakers. Pulled the unit out and found that when they used the quick and dirty crimping tool to make the connections, many of the connections were not make properly. I cut off every connection ( 14 wires in total) and reconnected all of them. While you have the unit out, you can add an input to the extra input on the back and bring it out for the TV (out) or other input.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #17

Reply No 4 has it down pat! It's unfortunate that no directions come with the TT, but that is SOP as everybody knows. I had to figure the same steps out with my R-Pod. It was areal challah get to get the sound out of the outdoor kitchen speakers while watching TV. It only worked initially with a DVD, but I was able to overcome it!
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #18

Hopefully you have solved your problem. I had a similar problem. I could get sound and picture when playing the DVD but no sound through the Jensen with just the TV. On mine it turned out that the red and white cables were plugged into Audio in and not out. The back of my Jensen has red, white, and yellow RCA connectors. The yellow is an output but the white and red are input. I had to set the Jensen to Aux 1 and the TV speakers to off. I replaced the original and non-functional Legend TV with a Vizio so there may be other TV options that need to be set if you don't have a Vizio.
mgp1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Out of the tv itself or the A,B,C speakers? We can listen to the tv itself or thru the camper speakers.
Just the surround sound. No issue from the tv. The service manager said that you always have to turn the radio loud to hear the tv from these units. It worked well once we knew that trick.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #20

Check media center connections

We couldn't get sound through our A,B, or C speakers due to a broken connection from the media center to the back of the T.V. During the installation, the connector was broken. Check the back of your T.V. and check the connections.

Rich Kanehl
2015 Rockwood 8280ws
2012 Titan with Tow Package
The Villages Fl.
RKanehl is offline   Reply With Quote