Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #1

Unhappy Fireplace circuit board burned

I own a 2009 Cardinal 37RL. Last week the fireplace quite in the middle of the night and the rig was pretty cool in the morning. Discovered the circuit board had burned right where the wiring harness attaches to a small black "box" of some kind. It was all bubbled from the heat. The reflecting mirror was blackened by the heat. The wire itself was charred and broke apart the minute I touched it. I think we're lucky that all that burned!

I understand that there was a recall on some of these fireplaces and wondered who to contact about this dangerous situation? I spoke to a Forest River dealer locally (Parkersburg, WV) but have not heard anything as of this date 10/14/12.

Thanks for any help.
Cliff
Smithc196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithc196 View Post
I own a 2009 Cardinal 37RL. Last week the fireplace quite in the middle of the night and the rig was pretty cool in the morning. Discovered the circuit board had burned right where the wiring harness attaches to a small black "box" of some kind. It was all bubbled from the heat. The reflecting mirror was blackened by the heat. The wire itself was charred and broke apart the minute I touched it. I think we're lucky that all that burned!

I understand that there was a recall on some of these fireplaces and wondered who to contact about this dangerous situation? I spoke to a Forest River dealer locally (Parkersburg, WV) but have not heard anything as of this date 10/14/12.

Thanks for any help.
Cliff
Forest River furnished from different vendors, plate on the unit or IB came with your unit. Without it you won't get far. Most are like four screws to pull out.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

electric fireplace

Thanks. I forgot to say that the "Owners Manual" says it's a CFM EF26 from China (of course) through Canada. Chinese stuff No problem taking it out. Just wondering what to do with it. Seems like defective should be replaced by Forest River.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithc196 View Post
Thanks. I forgot to say that the "Owners Manual" says it's a CFM EF26 from China (of course) through Canada. Chinese stuff No problem taking it out. Just wondering what to do with it. Seems like defective should be replaced by Forest River.
I think I'd start with Forest River Service/Parts. Its out of warranty except it may be a recall situ. If not just browsing around it seems easier to buy a new one as to repairing, they start around $200. It will cost a big part of that to ship it both ways if someone will fix it. I found my model on line, not yours. FR can ID from unit serial #, good place to start. You could call a local TV/radio repair shop, maybe they would take it on. Doesn't sound like a major damage.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #5

fireplace burned

Thanks for the info. Yes the fireplace is "out of warranty" and the manufacturer is out of business too. This is not one of the fireplaces which were recalled yet is the exact same problem--i.e. the remote receiving unit. Forest River isn't going to do anything. So much for customer care. Glad the 5ver didn't burn. I'll look at some after market units to see what's available. Thanks to all.

Tags
burned, fireplace, recall