Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #1

First time using furnace on a Clipper

Hello, first time RV owner. We recently brought home a Clipper BH17. It was winterized at the dealer. Do I need to do anything specific before using the furnace for the 1st time or just turn on propane and thermostat? Thanks!
Ptomezak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:45 PM   #2

If your heater has not been used, you need to run it to burn off the oils and chemicals on the heat exchanger. It will smell funny and possible smoke, so be able to vent the RV. Best to do this before you go on a trip
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

Doesn't hurt to make sure all your stove burners light, helps make sure propane line is purged of air.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As Scott said, be prepared for the burn off of manufacturing oils/dirt/dust.

Just be sure your propane is on and that you have purged the LP line by lighting a stove burner first.

R/V furnaces are HUGE users of propane and battery power.
If you are not plugged into shore power you'll want to turn the furnace thermostat down low over night and use blankets/sleeping bags to stay warm. One battery will likely get you through one night before needing recharged. If plugged into shore power then no issues with battery voltage as your on-board converter will keep the battery charged and supply ample 12v.

Keep an eye on your propane usage. In 30º to 50º weather you can easily use a 20LB. tank of propane in a week or less. (depending on thermostat settings) If you have a dual tank set-up with auto change-over, open both tanks and keep a watchful eye on the indicator so you know when one has run out. (usually in the middle of the night but with the auto change-over at least you won't have to go out in the cold to open the 2nd tank)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:55 PM   #5

Thank you everyone. Appreciate the advice! Happy and Safe travels this year!
Ptomezak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:43 PM   #6

Open all the windows and vents and let it rip. You will know by the smell when it has burned off all the nasty stuff.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #7

I would also recommend taking off the front cover and checking around the unit itself. First time we used ours it smelled really bad. I popped over and there was saw dust from construction, I assume, and little pieces of wood laying around the unit.
jbmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:57 PM   #8

set off the smoke detector the first time i fired mine up, so as said above, open the place up and do it before your trip
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:56 AM   #9

When we got our Clipper 17CFQ last year I fired up the furnace to burn off the oil etc. Darn thing rattled like crazy. Figured out ho to get the cover off and found out that they had no even screwed the unit down! Screws were just rolling around in the cavity where it goes. Thankfully when I got the panel off under the sink I found that the exhaust was still firmly attached.
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, furnace