Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

First Trip to the Dealer for Repairs

This is our first trip for repairs *(hopefully the last ) and I had a few concerns. First, does the dealer keep mind of the battery charge when it sits in their yard? I would hate to have them drain too low if it's an extended stay and damage the new batteries. I do have a 12v shutoff switch but I know they can get busy.

Also, this time of year it is still quite possible to have a hard freeze. We are having a water heater issues and I assume they will need water to test the system. Are they responsible to winterize while it is in their possession?

I plan to ask these questions but thought other owners experiences would be helpful.
firsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #2

they won't pay attention to your batteries at all . if it's still winter and freezing where you are and they fill lines to test then they would be responsible for any freeze damage during the time they have it . but don't count on them to re-winterize the unit unless you wish to pay extra for that
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Site Team

You asked ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthere View Post
First, does the dealer keep mind of the battery charge when it sits in their yard?
as if any answer would apply to all dealers and that's a nice thought but it's not reality. One service department might and the next service department might not -- at least, they might not on two consecutive units. My trailer sat at my dealer's service department several weeks. When I picked it up, their service manager showed me my new battery - said he replaced the original free of charge - said they found a storage bay light on after several weeks and it totally depleted my battery. I overlooked their process flaw since I was happy with the new battery. They did what was right without any hassle.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Well that makes me feel better. I shall remove the new batterys and replace with an old one for the service.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #5

It doesn't have to be a "drop off and leave" situation - you can and should stay in communication. After a week to 10 days, you can ask them to have someone flip on the generator for a couple of hours. That is not too much to ask (in fact, our salesman said he would do that for us any time). Also if freezing temps approach (like this week), you can call the service manager and discuss your concern about dumping any water in the system including the water heater. Depending on the weather, it may or may not be necessary to re-winterize (as opposed to merely dumping all the water out of tanks and lines), but if it is, it's pretty easy for them to blow out the lines since they have all the equipment right on hand. Yours won't be the only unit on site with that issue.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #6

I can only imagine that some/many of you have found good dealers. Here in the DFW area I have not. Mine is a drop off and leave, sometimes for months at a time. And if it ever does freeze here (rarely) they will happily winterize for a $150 charge. And no, I can't go get it and put back in warm storage, or else I lose my place in line.
jgriffin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #7

I am pretty nervous about going to this particular dealer as we did not buy our TT from them but a competitor down south. Originally when I called to make an appointment he asked specifically where I bought it. He then said I'll have to call you back, which he never did. I called FR in Oregon to get service at the factory (since its only 3 hrs away) the nice guy said he would find one in my area and have him contact me. That ended up being the same dealer that didn't call me back.

After waiting for the weather to get better I called the dealer again to schedule and got the same question, "where specifically did you buy it". I mentioned talking to him and FR about the situation and he was like "ooh ya". He must have had a discussion with the factory to allow my TT be serviced at his dealership so may not be a happy camper about it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I still think the $5000 I saved buying down south will be worth it in the end though.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
2012 Solera

As several of us have learned "the hard way", consider skipping the dealer and finding a local RV service place. If service (not sales) is their business, they are more likely to do it well. I believe many dealers see service as a necessary evil - an expense to be minimized in their pursuit of sales profits.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
As several of us have learned "the hard way", consider skipping the dealer and finding a local RV service place. If service (not sales) is their business, they are more likely to do it well. I believe many dealers see service as a necessary evil - an expense to be minimized in their pursuit of sales profits.
Being it still be under warranty I'd say take to dealer fix free. When I took my tt in for warranty it was there for 3 weeks. Picked it up but only power jack worked off truck plug . So thought battery's where dead. Figured 1hr drive home should charge. Nope, what happened they used the cut off switch to the battery and had turn power off and for got to tell me. I finally figured it out. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #10

I would turn the battery cutoff switch off (if you have one). Let them turn it on when they finally get it into the shop.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #11

They might leave it on for two weeks and there goes the battery, recharge it and you wouldn't even know it till a year later when it has problems.

I considered removing them completely and let them use 120v. but figured I couldn't get the trailer off my truck with the power jack.

Tags
dealer, repair, repairs