RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #1

Flagstaff 25BRDS refrigerator leak?

I'm getting water at the base of the wall next to the fridge. Quite a bit. I checked under the bunk, no leaks there. The drip tray wasn't seated properly in the fridge (under the find) but fixed that 2 days ago. There is a lot of water on the find though. It's 80-85f outside with high humidity. No rain.

Can't figure out where it could be coming from other than the fridge. No water that I can see at the bottom of the fridge either.

Wish there was a plumbing diagram to show what lines are behind there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_214500.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	232870  
deanbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrady View Post
I'm getting water at the base of the wall next to the fridge. Quite a bit. I checked under the bunk, no leaks there. The drip tray wasn't seated properly in the fridge (under the find) but fixed that 2 days ago. There is a lot of water on the find though. It's 80-85f outside with high humidity. No rain.

Can't figure out where it could be coming from other than the fridge. No water that I can see at the bottom of the fridge either.

You should post the brand and model.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 32
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

What is the make and model of your refrigerator?
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #4

Thanks for changing the post title (had Fleetwood, our old RV).
———
The fridge is a Dometic 2852RBX

I’ve looked through the manuals. A few questions I don’t see answers to:

1 - Any description or diagrams for the thermal probe inside the fridge. Assuming the probe tip is supposed to be inside the clip? (See attached image)

2. The drip tray under cooling fins. No idea where that water goes. It is lined up so the water goes into the little port but that goes “somewhere”.

I’ve removed the back bunk top to look and no water there. I removed the front panel for the furnace (under the oven), no water. I also removed the power panel and see nothing there and it is located directly under the fridge.

The water is coming out under the tip of the small wall panel (attached image)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	232877
Old 07-01-2020, 01:33 PM   #5

Go outside, and remove the two black plastic panels on the outer wall that are behind the fridge. You should find the other end of the plastic tube that connects to the drip tray. The tube should be routed through a hole in the bottom plastic panel so that it drips outside. Pouring a little water into the drip tray should come out of that tube. If not, the tube is disconnected somewhere. If the tube is not pushed through to the outside, it will drip inside and run wherever it wants to.

Oh, and the thermistor should be clipped into a plastic slider, which should be on the rightmost fin. Slides up and down to adjust the temperature. (didn't see an image, but most likely...)
jjkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Since your breaker/fuse panel is under the fridge you may want to remove the plastic cover from the power center and direct a fan towards it to dry out any moisture inside or under it. There are 2 to 4 screws to remove the panel and can be done by disconnecting from pedestal power first.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #7

I have a Dometic fridge,propane/electric model in our 2016 Crusader Lite that the drip tube on the back of the fridge does not exit the exterior wall at any point. However the end of the tube is directed into a drip pan that does not drain. I figure what little moisture that exits through that tube must dry up before the pan overflows. I have never seen any water in or around my fridge.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #8

Thanks.

1. Removed the outer panel, bone dry inside.
2. Power panel area under fridge bone dry as well. Assuming no issues there.
3. Drip tray tube on this model comes out to outer panel frame and connects to a small outlet port that lets the water exit the RV. All secure and signs of water coming out.

We ended up cutting out trip short a couple days so I can get under it in the driveway.

I did notice the water panel on the back corner next to the outdoor kitchen seems to have a little water. I'll take that panel off tomorrow and look. It's conceivable that a leak there could run to where the water was visible by running along the wall under the bunk. Could just be coincidence that it is near the fridge.

I'll report back after further inspection.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:05 AM   #9

Fridge condensate drain tube

Hopefully you have solved your problem, but on the chance not, check the fridge drain tube and see if it is brittle/crumbles easily. I noticed water in my rig and traced it to the drain tube. I tried to move it to route through the access door and got a handful of plastic dust. Quick trip to homer's depot plumbing to get some vinyl tubing. Got that home and after some contortions to reach that drip tray outlet to push the tube onto it things were good. No problems for me since.
You can either measure the inside diameter of the drain tubing or take a section to match up. My tubing was a cheap corrugated type that looked like wire loom.

By the way, tubing goes by the inside diameter / ID vice the outside diameter / OD.

Hope this helps.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrady View Post

What is the year model of your trailer. When out trailer was about 8 years old that drain tube which takes the condensation away from the unit and deposits it either in a tray or outside was cracked and split at 10 different locations in the water was just floating down the inside of the fridge and eventually would have damaged the wall. I was only aware of it because our good friends had the identical model a little bit older and there refrigerator leak started buckling the wall adjacent to the refrigerator and we all found out what the problem was.

On our frig., in order to replace that tube I had to pull the refrigerator out which turned out to be a fairly easy job. the tube was not only cracked near the bottom where I could see it but it was cracked up near the drip tray allowing the moisture to filter down through the unit and out, in my case to a flat surface that drained against a wall. If it's not the condensate coming off the plates inside the refrigerator dripping into the drip pan and going down that tube then I'm unaware of any other source of moisture that could come from your refrigerator.

Good luck
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, refrigerator