Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

forest river lite trailers..range vent to outside.

never realized my vent fan wasn't sucking/pushing air out til now..checking outside under vent cap I see the thing is blocked with some cover...so how do you remove that thing...there are 2 knobby things on it, but push pull slide they will not budge.....anyone got some know how?
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
RichL

Vent covers are generally held closed during travel. Your cover seems different than mine. Generally they have two locking screws that twist to free the cover. Yours sounds like the cover has the screws on them. Have you tried turning them left or right?
Rich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Site Team

Can you post a picture so we don't have to guess what "knobby things" are?

If they are like the latches on my 'new style' vent flap, you push up on the latches with your thumbs with more force than you'd anticipate... but before that, check to see of there's caulk holding down the latches or the flap.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #4

On mine the latches move (I forget in which direction) and that allows you to open the vent. Don't forget to close it before travelling.
Lost Vermonters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #5

The exterior stove vent cover on mine has two plastic latches that turn down to allow cover to open when fan operates. Sounds like yours are stuck, if gentle pressure to cover and latchs doesn't allow them to break free (downward rotation for release) I would try some small amount of spray lubricant cleaning excess. Both are conviently located 6+ feet from ground level.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #6

I have a similar problem in my wildwood x lite. It does not seem like it is venting. Smoke alarm goes off EVERY time I cook. Pictures would help. I'll try and post some of mine tomorrow.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #7

Your's sounds like the one I have push up on the two tabs and pull out that releases the flap. When you done just push the flap down and the tabs snap it into place. A photo will help!
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #8

I had the same issue. I had to push up and out on the tabs a lot harder than I expected. There should be 2 plastic tab latches on the bottom of the flap.

You push up on the 2 latches at the same time (harder push than you would expect) and then wiggle the tabs outwards. Eventually they will work loose and the flap (which is hinged at the top) will swing open.

After I got ours open I opened and closed it a few more times to break it in. Works easily now.
Renderspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renderspud View Post
I had the same issue. I had to push up and out on the tabs a lot harder than I expected.
X2 Mine was so stuck I had to work the tabs with a screw driver. So I just let mine flap when traveling. Since it faces aft, I don't get water inside, even when raining. Sheesh!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcronin01 View Post
Your's sounds like the one I have push up on the two tabs and pull out that releases the flap. When you done just push the flap down and the tabs snap it into place. A photo will help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renderspud View Post
I had the same issue. I had to push up and out on the tabs a lot harder than I expected. There should be 2 plastic tab latches on the bottom of the flap.

You push up on the 2 latches at the same time (harder push than you would expect) and then wiggle the tabs outwards. Eventually they will work loose and the flap (which is hinged at the top) will swing open.

After I got ours open I opened and closed it a few more times to break it in. Works easily now.
X3 for the flap on my MiniLite.

gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #11

thanks every one...mine is like the white one above [except black]....got the darn thing open...those tabs are not in a chanel that slide up ...I pushed up with way more pressure than I would have thought neccessary ...the tabs then bent up/arcing out...the flap hinged loose...now have air flowing out .... thanks again.
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #12

X4 on my Mini Lite. This should have been convered on the PDI.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #13

On my 5er I had same problem only caulking was holding it solid....Once opened I push a sponge up inside to keep it closed when travelling...Cannot reach from ground to close and open .........J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #14

Glad I read through this post. Our smoke alarm has been going off every time we cook anything smoky even with the exhaust vent blowing and roof fans going. One time it went off and we were cooking a cobbler on the outside grill. What the heck! I checked and did feel some air exhausting and could smell some butter (a true staple of camp cooking!!), but now I will try and pop the flap and see if that alleviates our smoke alarm drills. Thanks again!

'09 BMW X5 xDrive35D (TV)
'15 Porsche Cayenne Diesel (Wife's)
'15 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (TT)
MudyOvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #15
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
We have a 2011 MiniLite etc 181 TT and it has the black cowling over the flap with the same type of locking system. I fought opening and closing it for a year before simply leaving it open all the time. The only time I close it is when the wind is howling and it makes a lot of noise and disturbs sleep. It doesn't seem to mind being left open and shows no sign of breaking.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post
I have a similar problem in my wildwood x lite. It does not seem like it is venting. Smoke alarm goes off EVERY time I cook. Pictures would help. I'll try and post some of mine tomorrow.
My Coachmen 17 FQ does the same thing and I know the vent is open and working. My solution is to just remove the battery from it before using the stove. Lay it on my pillow so I remember to put it back before I turn in.
I've wondered if replacing it with a name brand one would reduce the false alarms.
As to the original topic I have a small lever on each side of the flap. They simply swing up or down to the point they are parallel with the frame. Usually do it right after pulling out the power cord on that side of the trailer. Then flip them into place to hold the flap shut right before I unplug.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #17
RetiredRVer

Mine are the small lever type that just push down on each lower corner.....then the flapper vent is free to operate. After a dozen times doing this on various campouts, I forgot to latch it back closed. Now it's gone! Anyone know if a replacement is available on-line? Thanks!
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #18

ONe of my vent latches stick, I use a flat screwdriver and carefully pry it out.
gmjvlretiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #19

I heard you have to replace the whole vent, not just the door that fell off.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:28 AM   #20
Swift2

We opened our vent the first time out a year ago never closed it since. Made a 7K trip this summer to Alaska and didn't seem to have any dust or other problem. Don't see any reason to close it unless we get into a really dusty area.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, trailer, vent