Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #1
Forester 3051S 2015

Forester 3051S roof light left bank circuit dead

The 'left hand bank' of LED roof lights (i.e. under-cupboards, washbasin, and bedroom reading lights) stopped working on our Forester 3051S (2015) recently. I can't connect it to any particular event. In storage for 2 months, no mice. The right hand bank (i.e. all the other lights) work fine.

The control panel (breakers and fuses) contains two positions for 'roof' (light) fuses, at #3 and #9. The troublesome circuit is #9.

I've checked fuseholder positions 1 thru 9 for 12V DC power and fuse integrity. No open circuits and 13.6V across all.
Removing fuse #3 disconnects the right bank of roof lights. Replacing fuse #9 makes no difference ... the left bank stays without power.

Other than electronics at the back of the fridge accessible from the outside panel, I'm only aware of one set of fuses for the motorhome cabin, and that's on the left side of the entry stairway above the second step.

Has anyone else experienced (and solved) the same problem?

Many thanks fellow campers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FuseBox.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	225930  
BMW R1200 GS Adventure (2008)

Namutony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #2

I would bet that a splice has come apart feeding the power for that circuit. Remove the plywood platform for the bed. Under there you will find all the AC and 12 volt power coming into the slide.

The platform is 3 pieces, the bottom one of course is hinged, the center one is the one you need to remove.no need to remove the one at the head of the bed.

Good luck..

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
Forester 3051S 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
I would bet that a splice has come apart feeding the power for that circuit. Remove the plywood platform for the bed. Under there you will find all the AC and 12 volt power coming into the slide.

The platform is 3 pieces, the bottom one of course is hinged, the center one is the one you need to remove.no need to remove the one at the head of the bed.

Good luck..
Thanks for the suggestion Steve,

As it happens, I had opened up the ply platform 2 days ago to repair and reinforce the back pedestal fixing to the bed frame, but I stayed clear of treading on wires.

I just checked all the under-bed wiring splices again, to make sure I hadn't accidently kicked one apart . They're all good. For what it's worth, the wire color codes leaving the fuse box from #9 to that Roof circuit, aren't found on any of the wiring below the bed, so the roof light wiring must be fed from elsewhere.

I read in another post today that if the corresponding LED on the circuit board (for #9 in my case) doesn't light up when the load is on (lights switched on) and the fuse is removed, it means that the circuit is open somewhere between the fuse panel and the light circuit.

It's driving me nuts! I've looked everywhere I can think of, for a disconnect, including all the wiring leaving the fuse panel, that travels below the fridge and furnace on its way to disappear to the rear. Nada.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #4

You are correct about the LED's they only illuminate when the fuse is open AND there is a load on the circuit.

It appears that there are 3 different circuits feeding the area where you are having problems.
#5 Purple - lights over vanity
#7 Pink - lights over dinette & sink (also feeds storage bay light drivers side)
#9 Red - reading lights over bed

UPDATE: Just noticed there may 2 different sets of color codes and routing. Let me know what you have. I believe you have the 1st set above.
Here is the alternate.
#8 Blue Vanity & bed lights
#10 Red - Dinette & sink lights

What wire colors do you have under the bed platform and on circuits 5-7-9 in the fuse panel?
If you remove the black plastic wall in the water bay (the one with the filter access door) you may be able to see if there are any issues at that point.
Let me know what you find and I will see what I can come up with.

I also sent you a PM.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 03-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #5
Forester 3051S 2015

Hi again Steve.

I really appreciate your help in trying to nail this one down.
(btw I can't find your PM under private messages).

In response, here's what I have found so far:

1. "If you remove the black plastic wall in the water bay ... you may be able to see if there are any issues at that point." I opened up the water bay, removed the wall and soffit covers to inspect wiring. Nothing looks out of place, no splices or loose ends etc.
A grey wire powers the water pump, but no fuse reference at fuse box? Perhaps there's a local in-line fuse I didn't see.

2. "What wire colors do you have under the bed platform and on circuits 5-7-9 in the fuse panel?" The wires under bed platform are Orange, Green, Red and Grey. Fuse wire colour codes and labelling are per image below: #5 Purple, #7 Red; #9 Brown (colours and sequence confirmed by DW, in case I might have confused Red with Pink. We haven't seen a Pink wire anywhere in the unit thus far).

Regrettably the fuse box wiring code setup doesn't seem to conform to either of the versions you've suggested. With F/R that's not altogether surprising. I haven't been able to discover a wiring diagram for our motorhome model either, and I haven't yet figured out how the wiring makes its way across the unit (via ceiling or underfloor?) from the fuse box to the defective lighting circuit. I also opened up the RHS bedroom cupboard access cover to the fresh water tank, but couldn't see any wiring going vertically past that point. It would be really useful if someone had a wiring diagram that indicates the physical route the wires follow from the fuse box to the load points.

*Slide error message*
I posted this separately yesterday: "Forester 3051S slide motor short circuit error 8 conundrum". I tried not to wrap two problems into one post, but now I'm wondering if the issues could be related. The slide error message started 2 months ago, whereas the lights behaved themselves until recently.

Many thanks once again for applying your skills and experience to this.
I'll plug away at it, hoping to get to an 'aha' moment.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FuseBoxTabulation.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	225984  

Old 03-29-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
Señor Member

PM sent. (Send me your email address)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #7

Tony,
Based on your above info I would focus on the red line to start.
separate it under the bed and check to see if you have 12 volts on the line. check both wires in the pair separately as only one may be bad/cut. check the red to any chassis ground looking for 12 VDC, and then check the white using a ohm meter to ground, it should read zero ohms (or nearly) to ground if good.

The water pump has an inline fuse usually located within a few inches of the pump. The slide controller is typically fead directly from the BCC (battery control center).

The slide issue may be separate but I would check the voltage on the controller as the slide is operating to check for voltage drop. You can swap the outputs on the controller side to side to see if the fault stick with the controller channel or travels with the motor/wiring harness.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 04-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
Forester 3051S 2015

Lighting circuit problem – solved!

Many thanks once more for everyone's support. It really helped me to (painstakingly) locate the obscure source of the problem. For those in a hurry, spoiler alert: waste compartment light switch crimp fail.

The search: I ran a live bypass to Red, from the DC board to underside the bed. Once connected to the Red that feeds the slide lights, they all lit up,as did the USB charger on the same circuit. The Grey feeds the 'Cigarette lighter' charging point under dinette and the CO/NG monitor (Orange).

So the first question: where is the break in the Red? I inspected the undercarriage for any damage to exposed cable ducts ... nothing.

Last port of call was to check the two rear left side compartments. While these are not part of the 'slide', I suspected they might be fed by Red.

On a hunch (working with fingers, mirror and flashlight) I found the live feed to the light switch crimp fitting in the waste compartment had detached. My "aha moment": the Red under-bed feed doesn't come directly from the DC board, but is looped via the waste compartment light switch, before it heads to the under bed splices, after which it feeds the slide side soffit lights etc. It makes no sense to me that it was done that way, but FR must have had their reasons.

It was - and is - a spectacular weak point: the Red 12V feed to the female crimp on the live side of the switch was poorly done and mangled (just about twisted off). The live wire eventually detached from the crimp, opening the whole 'slide circuit'.

To top it off, three spliced earth wires on the same loop in the waste compartment were only twisted together, having never had the benefit of a crimp fitting. In time, the spice would also have disconnected.

The 12V Red and 6 tank sensor leads (3 for Black tank and 3 for Grey tank) had also been tied all together and pushed up into the space between the black tank and the sidewall. Fifteen thousand miles later, the whole nest dropped down into the compartment in front of the waste valves, at our last stop before winterizing.

I suspect, but can't prove, that the wires had originally been hung off the light switch crimp, just above the switch and out of sight. If so, this would’ve contributed to the crimp deformation and Red wire pulling out of its crimp. I reconnected all, with a new crimp, and suspended the wires in a cradle from one of the threaded tank support bolts, out of the way of the waste valves.

Other stuff learned:

o "Slide" on the DC board legend means: "all 12V load points on the slide, including LH compartment lights".
o The under-bed Red line feeds three downstream circuits:
o Red (lighting circuit including USB soffit charging outlet)
o Grey 12V ('cigarette lighter') charging point below the dinette
o Orange - CO/NG monitor.
o The under-bed Green line remains a mystery - it's still dead, and I couldn’t find out what it’s supposed to feed (the furnace is fed by Green from the 12V board, and it works, so it’s not that green wire). Maybe someone out there knows?

OK. Hope that helps the next person!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UnderBed Splices.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	226133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Waste_Comp_Switch.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	226134