Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 02:34 PM   #1

Thumbs up Forgot how to hook up Roku

We were new to camping with our RV and then COVID hit so need a refresher on a couple things. We don’t watch much tv but like to do it if raining. We went and checked on our camper in storage. I had my Roku from home but no luck getting it to work. Steps I took
1 Roku worked at home
2 plugged into HTM3
3 put input source from tv on htm3
4 No local WiFi so put on personal hot spot on my phone
5 tv just says no signal. Roku was plugged in tight to plug. And tv worked on rev tv. Just get one or two stations depending where at.

What am I missing.
Thanks.
Linda
sportsdad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #2

Try a different HDMI port.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #3

Have to ask but is the Roku device receiving power?

Also, I have had issues with HDMI cables in the past that have caused severe hair loss.

Might try a different HDMI cable.

If you aren't getting the Roku setup screen I believe that would be an issue with HDMI cable or power supply.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
OYO

I concur on the Roku power. Unless you have a newer TV it wont supply enough power to the Roku device. It came with an adapter that plugs into 120v much like a phone charger.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #5

Will keep trying

It’s a new tv as the camper is a 2020. The Roku is new too. I tried to plug it into another electric outlet but still no signal. I suspect too go some reason power isn’t getting to the Roku.
I am not tech savvy and the tv is hard to get to back of it. The HTM3 was on the side and easy. Didn’t see where the other ports were. I suspect it is something silly I am missing. Going real camping in a week so will play with it. I had hoped I could figure this out. Thanks for answering
Old 05-17-2020, 08:43 PM   #6

Roku

We have used a Roku stick style on our current, 2020 Rockwood Minilite, as well as a 2019 and '18 Minilites.

Our current 2020 did not have RCA cables from the tv to the IRV head unit, so I added those for the sound to work through the rv speakers through the IRV as well as the tv speakers.

I had to add a 2 way digital switch for the Roku and the DVD player to work.

The hdmi cable that came with the rv plug into #1 position on the digital switch, the Roku stick plug into the #2 position and a new hdmi cable from the output of the digital switch to the tv.

The digital switch is powered by the system. The Roku is powered by a elec outlet just behind the tv, that I unplug the power to the Roku stick when not in use cause it gets hot...

The Roku sound had to use the RCA cables from the IRV to the tv due to the hdmi arc did not work for sound.

Works well for us, the Furrion tv when using the Roku you have to hit the source on the remote, and one of the choices will be hdmi Roku.

Good luck!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdad12 View Post
We were new to camping with our RV and then COVID hit so need a refresher on a couple things. We don’t watch much tv but like to do it if raining. We went and checked on our camper in storage. I had my Roku from home but no luck getting it to work. Steps I took
1 Roku worked at home
2 plugged into HTM3
5 tv just says no signal. Roku was plugged in tight to plug. And tv worked on rev tv. Just get one or two stations depending where at.

What am I missing.
Thanks.
Linda
How is signal moving from phone to Roku. Are the paired?
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #8

Is you're RV plugged into shore power. If not and running on batteries I have found that not all the plugs will be hot.
Good luck!
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #9

Your Roku device has to be paired to the WiFi-in your instance with the hotspot.
It may be necessary to go to the ROKU website to get a connection to the hotspot. If you have already done this, do the following:

1. Connect the Roku to a HDMI port at the back of the TV. Unless you have a ROKU stick, you will need to have power to the Roku (power supply included with the Roku).
2. Turn the TV on and use the TV remote to locate the ROKU HDMI port and click on it. The "Rocking Roku' will boot and then The Roku home page should display.
3. On the far left of the home page is a list of choices. Currently it should be highlighted on "Home".
4. Now, use your Roku remote and locate UP/DWN Rt/left arrows at the top of the remote. Either click the "up" arrow or "down" arrow to highlight "Settings". This feature "rolls" so that you can scroll up/down to get the selection you need.
Right arrow to "network" and again to "about". Below about is "set up connection". Arrow down to "set up connection". To the right will be two options: Wired and wireless. Click on wireless.
5.That will bring up a window showing WiFi connections available. Scroll down to your Hotspot and click enter. If you haven't set it up before, it will ask you for a password for your WiFi device. Enter your password and then press enter. If it made the connection it will show a series of 3 green lights. Use your arrow buttons to reverse what is listed above and get back to highlight "Home" and then arrow right to the channels menu.
NOTE: If you have previously paired the Roku to the hotspot, follow all of the steps above except you will not have to go through the password steps.

When you transfer the Roku to another WiFi, you will have to go through the steps, make the choice of "wired" or "wireless" and the then WiFi device.

There are also videos on doing this. One warning: If you are required to go to the ROKU website for a code, be extremely careful because there are several official looking phishing websites that will ask for personal information and ask if you want to register the Roku for a year or a lifetime. There IS NO REGISTRATION FEE associated with Roku devices. If you already have a Roku account, you should not have to set up another account.

Roku boxes will rarely lock up, but it is possible. When it does, disconnect the power, wait 30 seconds and then let it reboot. Possibly, you will have to go through the steps to reestablish the wired/wireless connection.

Roku boxes are pretty bullet proof. The newer, more expensive ones have a better WiFi range. Other than that, we have been using them since they came out. We have 4 in use and have given some of the older ones to the kids. None of them have failed.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdad12 View Post
1 Roku worked at home
2 plugged into HTM3

What am I missing.
Thanks.
Linda
If your cell phone can receive something like hulu you don't need the hotspot. Simply mirror your phone to the roku. the roku may complain about no network but just select continue or something like that. I do it all the time.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #11

Success with ROKU

While I watched minimal TV camping, I did finally figure out how to get my ROKU to work.
When I use it in house I plug one end into HDM1 and plug the ROkU into outlet. I tried different camper outlets no luck. I took the plug off the cable and plugged it into a USB port on the Camper TV I have no idea why but it worked perfect plugged in that way. Not what the instructions say but hey if it works I’m good. I probably won’t even use it much. It was more about the challenge for now since I am one of those labeled “older less tech saavy person”
Old 05-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #12

strange, any chance the hdmi and usb ports are mislabelled or misidentified on the RV TV? The HDMI and USB ports look very different and USB port will not accept the ROKU hdmi plug

Plug the Roku into your TV's HDMI port.
Roku Player — Plug one end of the HDMI cable into the back of the Roku Player's box, then plug the other end into the HDMI port on the back or side of your TV.
Roku Stick — Plug the HDMI connector on the end of your Roku Stick into the HDMI port on the back or side of your TV.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:30 PM   #13

One end was plugged into an HDM1 port It was actually HDM3. The other plug out of the ROKU was the power cord. In my house I plug it into an outlet. But it wouldn’t work so I took off the adapter plug which made it a usb plug now and plugged it into the USB port. I am sure my TV is wired for that but I have no idea as all I have ever done is turned it on.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:21 PM   #14

My Roku has two connections:

1. HDMI - plug this into the TV's HDMI connection. THEN remember to go into the TV's menu and tell it to start using that HDMI connection.

2. USB power connection. This can be plugged into a wall wart with a USB port OR some TV's have a USB power outlet on the rear for powering a Roku or an over-the-air-antenna amplifier.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #15

I have new Roku Streaming Stick+ directly plugged in th HDMI port2. I can get a picture fine but no sound. We have a 2020 cedar Creek Hathaway with the Jensen Ent Center
Tried both the usb power and the wall to usb converter. Still nothing. I'm guessing it's a setting on the DVD master brain which I've never figured out
tcrossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #16

This may be too simple, but have you checked your mute button on your TV remote?
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #17

I served into the remedy. Went to menu and then to "restore default"
What ever was wrong that was the fix. Roku, TV, and cable all have both audi and video.

Thanks for trying to help!