Old 06-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #1

Freezer works fine but not fridge? lost

Read a few threads here couple days ago and figured maybe that thermo thingy inside was just adjusted wrong so I have it running now a couple days, about hours and have adjusted the little tube up and down based on what I read here but it wont cool below - once the day warms up, it was at 38 this morning but now back to 55. Last summer we did not have this issue at all, stayed cold all through hot days as long as we didn't open a lot.
94 degrees here today
Thanks in advance
SLSTRES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTRES View Post
Read a few threads here couple days ago and figured maybe that thermo thingy inside was just adjusted wrong so I have it running now a couple days, about hours and have adjusted the little tube up and down based on what I read here but it wont cool below - once the day warms up, it was at 38 this morning but now back to 55. Last summer we did not have this issue at all, stayed cold all through hot days as long as we didn't open a lot.
94 degrees here today
Thanks in advance

the little thingy is the thermister and should be slid up all the way and close to if not touching the aluminum fins . you may need to check your air flow along the back of the fridge , if it's in a slide out they normally have cooling fans if it's not coming on that could be the issues or you may add one
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
the little thingy is the thermister and should be slid up all the way and close to if not touching the aluminum fins . you may need to check your air flow along the back of the fridge , if it's in a slide out they normally have cooling fans if it's not coming on that could be the issues or you may add one
No slide out and thermister is all the way up yes. Add one what?
Thanks
Old 06-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTRES View Post
No slide out and thermister is all the way up yes. Add one what?
Thanks
A cooling fan if there is not one already , and if there is make sure it's coming on . or maybe just a bad fridge sale the camper and get a new one .
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:59 PM   #5

I find that my frig cools better with the slider/thermister about an inch or two from the top. Freezer is always ice cold.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:17 PM   #6

What fridge is this? if its the norcold you move left to right to adjust temp, not up and down.. Just a thought. Or the thermositor could simply be bad, I just replaced mine 3 weeks ago. They are pretty cheap and easy to replace.
Joyfully Towed with a 2018 RAM 3500 6.7 CTD
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #7

You didnít say if you were running on propane or gas. Troubleshooting differs depending on how you run it. On my XLR it worked fine on propane and poorly on electric. Replaced the thermistor and no change on electric. Next I added an interior fan. Helped some but still didnít cool the fridge right. Next step was replacing the heating element. (Many u-tube vidios on how to do it. Very easy) the result was a fridge on electric cooling down to 35 degrees. Problem solved.
Bnrc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #8

With my new trailer I was frustrated with temps in the refrigerator. Solved the problem by adding a simple battery operated fan about the size of two cigarette packs taped together. One D-Cell battery keeps it running for about a month and it keeps the air in the refrigerator from stratifying, cold on bottom and warm on top. Depending on how many times I open the unit up the thermometer inside reads from 34 to 40 degrees. No sour milk yet

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
...Solved the problem by adding a simple battery operated fan...
Those things do work.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
You didnít say if you were running on propane or gas. Troubleshooting differs depending on how you run it. On my XLR it worked fine on propane and poorly on electric. Replaced the thermistor and no change on electric. Next I added an interior fan. Helped some but still didnít cool the fridge right. Next step was replacing the heating element. (Many u-tube vidios on how to do it. Very easy) the result was a fridge on electric cooling down to 35 degrees. Problem solved.
How does it heat with electric vs propane?
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
Just as confused as you

You can add extra fan(s) to the back side of the fridge as long as it's not residential. You get 1 or 2 computer fans and mount them at the top so they blow the air upward or outward if in a slideout. The control board operates from 12vdc so there will be a place to connect to 12v near the control board at the bottom of the fridge. It is better to pull the warm air up than it is to blow it upward. You can put a on/off switch or a therm-switch in to control the fan(s). There are many threads on the forum on how to do the add-ons and you-tube videos on the web.

Here's a couple of documents to help you better understand how an absorption refrigerator works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gas-Electric Fridge Venting.pdf (109.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf How Absorption Refrigeration Works.pdf (106.9 KB, 14 views)
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #12

I think mine works a little better on propane but if the campground is paying the electric bill, that's where it's set.
Bnrc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #13

Thank you all for the reply's, have not had time to mess with it so we took a big ice chest on last weekends trip, fridge stayed at around 55 all weekend with generator running, setting is on auto, I think it runs on electric more. Going to try straight propane today next couple days to see what it does. Thank you for the links too, will make time to look at them and look for a fan system too, temp are just starting to get real hot here in south Texas.
Have a happy and safe 4th of July all of ya.

SLS
Old 07-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I would run on gas as it does not use much. 30# tank will last all summer and then some. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 39
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #15

I have been having the same problem all spring and part of the summer but just moved to Propane even when parked with hookups and have solved my problem. I am finding that it does not use much propane and it's worth it to know my fridge is going to have a stable cold temp. I hope it solves your problem. We just came back from two trips each a week long and endured temps in the 100's with no temperature issues on propane.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
How does it heat with electric vs propane?
There is an electric heating element that heats the "boiler" when the propane flame is off. It's just a matter of heating the unit hot enough to boil the cooling medium and it doesn't matter where the heat comes from, gas or electric. It uses whichever is available.

When set on AUTO it usually forces "electric" if hooked to shore power as propane has only a finite supply and the logic is to conserve it when electricity is available.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 07-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #17
Site Team

A Forest River rep told me it will get colder if you move thermistor to a fin more towards the center of the frig. I never needed to try it tho. Make sure thermistor is in the top of the sleeve and sleeve is at top of fin.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
Site Team

"Auto" setting means it will automatically switch to propane if no 110volt is detected. And back to ac when you plug in to 110 volt. It should never switch to propane if you are plugged in and fridge is getting ac voltage.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
I have been having the same problem all spring and part of the summer but just moved to Propane even when parked with hookups and have solved my problem. I am finding that it does not use much propane and it's worth it to know my fridge is going to have a stable cold temp. I hope it solves your problem. We just came back from two trips each a week long and endured temps in the 100's with no temperature issues on propane.
Might be a good idea to check the electric heating element.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #20

I have a 2018 GeoPro G19FD that I bought in Sept 2017. Last time we took it out and parked at a KOA with 110V and the fridge cooled great. Now we are getting ready for our next trip and the freezer is nice but the rest of the fridge is barely cool at all. I've tried both auto mode on 110V and forcing to gas mode on 110V, same issue. Propane is on and it appears there is gas lit when I take the back off outside.

How can I get this thing to be nice and cold again? Any thoughts? Need help before we leave.
cyberrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge