Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #1

Fridge hard to light at higher elevation during during nighttime cold temps

I’ve read a lot of the threads about fridges not working at higher elevation. This makes sense to me, generally. I’ve also read the Dometic manual recommending electric operation above 5,500 feet. This makes no sense to me as a regular boondocker at 8,000’ - 11,000’ who doesn’t want to be at an electrode hookup CG. Thankfully, my fridge works decent at thicker elevation.

So, here’s my question: whereas most other threads talk about the fridge not working whatsoever at altitude, mine only has problems at night, which I’m assuming is a combo of the elevation and cooler temps. Turning it off and on again usually resolves by the third or fourth cycle. Then, it will run and error out again an hour or two later, which may be the next cycle attempt, maybe a few cycles later. Has anyone experienced this more limited impact? Any ideas to improve?

I understand the LP regulator adjustment with manometer, but that is a bit complex and risky for my regular travels across several thousand feet elevation gain/loss, if not more, per day. I have validated a nice blue flame and clean burner tube. The burner jet slots aren’t precisely aligned under the flue tube (although it’s decent), but I don’t see how to adjust that and don’t understand how that would effect high altitude performance since the fridge runs great otherwise. Electrode seems within gap spec to burner tube.

TIA!
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
Site Team

I would spend the time and/or money, if you don't want to do it yourself, to ensure that the LP pressure in the system is correct.

Tags
fridge, light