Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #41
Trailer Park Supervisor

After doing online searches, there a lot of t-stats available pretty cheap for computer enclosures, etc, cheaper than attic switch I mentioned.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:22 PM   #42
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I'm acting on my 'fridge shade' idea. Ordered this tarp and a couple suction cup anchors. Going to hang top of tarp above fridge vent on outer wall, and extend at angle to ground, tethering bottom grommets to stakes and bungees.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A 22 dollar solution I will verify if worth it when I get to Carolina.
I added one more item to fridge sun shade project list, these stakes you can drill into ground with hammer/impact drill. I tested stake in backyard, worked well.

Now a 50 dollar solution. But suction cup anchors and stakes may be useful in other applications as well.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:57 PM   #43

Quote:
I added one more item to fridge sun shade project list, these stakes you can drill into ground with hammer/impact drill. I tested stake in backyard, worked well.

Now a 50 dollar solution. But suction cup anchors and stakes may be useful in other applications as well.
I started ordering pieces for a similar shade in May, only in addition to the suction cups I purchased 2 tarp poles (extend to 7.9”) and 2 beach umbrella pole holders. I got a Shadex mesh tarp, and poles and bungee balls to hold down the bottom edge.
I have to cut the feet off of the tarp poles so they will fit in the umbrella pole tubes. Might have to test it out at home with the slide in but hoping it’s a noticeable improvement.
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
I started ordering pieces for a similar shade in May, only in addition to the suction cups I purchased 2 tarp poles (extend to 7.9”) and 2 beach umbrella pole holders. I got a Shadex mesh tarp, and poles and bungee balls to hold down the bottom edge.
I have to cut the feet off of the tarp poles so they will fit in the umbrella pole tubes. Might have to test it out at home with the slide in but hoping it’s a noticeable improvement.
Sounds interesting. How about post a picture when you get your test setup put together.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:40 PM   #45

NJKris...Just a suggestion but I think you might be better of with a tarp that can breathe.
That blue one might just trap heat in. Maybe you could try something like this. Cut to size and add grommets. Can't beat this price.
https://www.wayfair.com/Coolaroo--Co...xoCAGkQAvD_BwE
Old 08-02-2021, 08:17 AM   #46

Sitting here and thinking - dangerous I know but…

I think an ideal solution for shading the reefer would be to use a window awning but replace the awning material with the cloth screen used for the side shades on awnings. It could be made long enough to give good cover, would provide good shade, and would allow airflow to be sure it would stay as cool as possible under it.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:25 AM   #47

I think the breathable fabric idea is good. Most Lowe's near us carry landscape shade fabric on a roll, in various densities and color. They also carry a folded rectangle shape of it. And if it's the right season, Costco carries a similar shade fabric.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #48
Pickin', Campin', Mason

This was in Trailer Life a while back...

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

That's pretty brilliant...
Old 08-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #50
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
That's pretty brilliant...
Unless you have slide toppers... but the concept is pretty ingenious.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:20 AM   #51
Trailer Park Supervisor

I saw that article before, but have no way to mount that upper bracket, hence the heavy duty suction cup anchors. I'm going to try my cheapo blue tarp, couldn't beat price for 6-7 bucks, already has grommets. Thanks for the Wayfair link Bob, I will look into that. I suspect the angle I will be pulling the shade out at will allow for good ventilation. My 'test kitchen' will be my spot in Hatteras, NC in Sep, the only place I've had a cooling issue. The big concern is will it hold up in the coastal Carolina wind, and will it be noisy. Would not want to disturb fellow campers. Pics will be posted in Sep. If this works, I won't need to install fans.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

I saw that too while researching ways to shade the area. Like 5 Picker stated it won't work with slide toppers, but my plan is also to take a strip of Reflectix and lay it across the top of the slide under the topper to see if that helps any.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #53

I live in Texas and have been running the fridge in 97 degree weather the past couple of days off of AC current from the house. I have an older Dometic ( 2006 Rockwood HW 256 ). The main thing I've noticed is that it works better when perfectly level. I actually level my whole camper based on fridge being level. I put a super ball on the floor of the fridge and make sure it doesn't move in addition to using a level on the top of the fridge.
mdfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:26 PM   #54
Trailer Park Supervisor

Do yourself a favor, get a pair of leveling bubbles and put them on outside of camper where you can see them while leveling. Thanks Camping World for installing them without being asked, I don't know why they aren't installed on all campers. An evap style fridge doesn't need to be perfectly level, but level enough that when you are walking around inside, it doesn't feel unlevel in any way (things rolling off table, cabinet/fridge doors swinging open on their own).
Old 08-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #55

The current problem on my 2-way gas/AC refrigerator is that it's freezing the refrigerator compartment. Zucchini doesn't survive freezing, if you're interested to know.

Ambient temps in the high 60's during the day, mid-50's at night. I have the thermistor pushed as high up as it can be, beyond the top of the refrigerator fins. I put a clamp on it so it doesn't slip.

Is there an add-on board available that has an real thermostat in it that you can set by temperature?

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
The current problem on my 2-way gas/AC refrigerator is that it's freezing the refrigerator compartment. Zucchini doesn't survive freezing, if you're interested to know.

Ambient temps in the high 60's during the day, mid-50's at night. I have the thermistor pushed as high up as it can be, beyond the top of the refrigerator fins. I put a clamp on it so it doesn't slip.

Is there an add-on board available that has an real thermostat in it that you can set by temperature?
I'm confused. If the ambient temperature is so mild, why do you have the thermistor set to maximum cold? Or are you punking me, LOL?
Old 08-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #57
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Clear up would be maximum cold! No wonder it is freezing stuff!

Yes they do make an adjustable thermistor but I suspect you just need to drop it down a bit on the fin.

The adjustable thermistor is called Snip the Tip.

I think Dometic makes an adjustable thermistor as well.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #58

Not a bad idea, but...

Quote:
You guys are giving me ideas. I had similar problem at RV park last year in NC where sun beat on fridge vents all day and it was hot. I booked same site this year. I'm going to put some heavy duty suction cup anchors on outer wall and mount a skinny tarp like a sun shade, fastened to ground with stakes and or bungees. Will be at angle, to allow for air flow. Will try to remember to post results end of Sep.
Wondering about the stakes...

How about this?
At the top, a horizontal bar affixed by two suction cups, with a bar slid through a hem across the top of the tarp

At the bottom, a similar horizontal bar through the bottom of the tarp. At the ends of the bars are struts going to a second set of suction cups.

I've attached a cross-section drawing. (The suction cups were red when I uploaded this...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunshade.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	260339  

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:07 PM   #59
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:

That will make fridge cool as cold as it can go! Remember, North (up) is colder, South (down) is warmer.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:10 PM   #60
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Wondering about the stakes...

How about this?
At the top, a horizontal bar affixed by two suction cups, with a bar slid through a hem across the top of the tarp

At the bottom, a similar horizontal bar through the bottom of the tarp. At the ends of the bars are struts going to a second set of suction cups.

I've attached a cross-section drawing. (The suction cups were red when I uploaded this...)
I like this idea, especially the bar and hem design for rigidity. I can't imagine how the struts would work. Without some rigidity/tension on bottom of shade, I can imagine the Carolina coastal breeze turning it into a kite.

Tags
cooling, fridge