Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 07:48 PM   #1

Fridge not cooling when itís hot outside

I have a Dometic DM2652 fridge/freezer that up until last week worked very well, until we went to places that were consistently above 100 degrees during the day and 70-80 at night. The freezer is maintaining around zero, but the fridge will go above the safe temperature range to 60 plus. When it cools down outside or the sun isn’t beating on the fridge side of the trailer the temperatures will go back to where they’re supposed to be. Has anyone else experienced this? I have the bulb at the top of the fin where it’s supposed to be the coldest setting. If so, what was your cure? I only wish it was possible to reorient the trailer to get it out of the path of the sun.

I’ve been thinking of getting a reflective blanket to Velcro onto the side of the trailer, hoping that it will block some of the heat. I just have to remember to take it down when breaking camp.��
Old 07-16-2021, 09:29 PM   #2

your frig is experiencing very hot temps in the chimney area causing the cooling to degrade. You can add cooling fans to the top of the chimney to help the cooling.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highinthemountains View Post
I have a Dometic DM2652 fridge/freezer that up until last week worked very well, until we went to places that were consistently above 100 degrees during the day and 70-80 at night. The freezer is maintaining around zero, but the fridge will go above the safe temperature range to 60 plus. When it cools down outside or the sun isnít beating on the fridge side of the trailer the temperatures will go back to where theyíre supposed to be. Has anyone else experienced this? I have the bulb at the top of the fin where itís supposed to be the coldest setting. If so, what was your cure? I only wish it was possible to reorient the trailer to get it out of the path of the sun.

Iíve been thinking of getting a reflective blanket to Velcro onto the side of the trailer, hoping that it will block some of the heat. I just have to remember to take it down when breaking camp.��
Unfortunately, I think it's doing the best that it can in the environment it's in. If there's any way to cast a shadow on the outside back of the fridge, do it. Especially if the sun is beating on the outside of it. Some of us have added smallish, 4inch, 12v computer type fans in the outside lower access area. Moving air up and out the upper access panel is the goal. Google RV refrigerator fans. I've also added fans on the inside fins. But that's to help spread the cold air around.

Someone once told me, but I don't remember which. Either the 120vac makes the fridge colder, or maybe it was the propane source that makes it colder. Try whichever one you're not using, see if there's an improvement.

Is it in a slide out? Is the upper vent on the roof of the RV or on the side wall of the RV?

By the way, somewhere in the fine print Dometic says the refrigerator is functional in ambient temperature of "up to" 94 or 95 degrees. So when we camp in 100+ temps it will struggle to chill properly. We need to keep it out of the direct sun and move air across the outside back of it.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #4

If the freezer is down around zero and refrigerator is not 40 or less the main issue is air circulation inside the refrigerator. Make sure nothing is jammed up against fins at back blocking air circulation. Cold air needs to be able to flow down ofc the fins and warmer air rise near the door so there is a convective air flow.

A battery operated cube like fan placed in the refrigerator will help a lot.

If freezer temps are high then fans in the "chimney" will help too.

Had the same problem with my refrigerator in 100+ temps. I added fans at roof vent to suck air up and out as well as a couple computer fans in refrigerator for circulation.

Temp now stays undet 40 degrees in refrigerator and i can keep ice cream solid in the freezer.

My refrigerator is on the main awning side so I can shade it somewhat. On a non-awning side one might be able to use "S" hooks in the gutter to hold a tarp or sun shade material to form a lean-to shade eith bottom staked to ground. If refer is side vented at top just add some ropes at top so top of shade starts just below the top vent. This will stop radiant heating of wall behind refer and also enhance chimney effect if any breeze.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:04 PM   #5

Is your fridge located in the slide? If so you have no roof vent and you're likely not getting enough air circulation and the best way to solve that is installing fans behind the unit to get the air circulating better....
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:38 PM   #6

RV inside refrigerator fan
Here's one example of an inside refrigerator fan

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Mu...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 07-17-2021, 07:07 AM   #7

Mine is in the shop for this issue and instructed them to put in a can while it was there getting other stuff done.
jeff64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:25 AM   #8

I put one of these in my fridge. I can now hold 33-35 degrees at 90+ outside temps nearly all the time unless the door is opened and closed a lot. Even then it seems to recover quicker. My fridge is an absorption double door Dometic. Install took about 20 minutes.

https://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-3-...-P5672097.aspx
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I put one of these in my fridge. I can now hold 33-35 degrees at 90+ outside temps nearly all the time unless the door is opened and closed a lot. Even then it seems to recover quicker. My fridge is an absorption double door Dometic. Install took about 20 minutes.

https://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-3-...-P5672097.aspx
^^^ x2 on this unit. That's what I installed... But we probably still over load the fridge and open the doors too much. I've seen 37-39 first thing in the morning, but higher than that during the day.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highinthemountains View Post
I have a Dometic DM2652 fridge/freezer that up until last week worked very well, until we went to places that were consistently above 100 degrees during the day and 70-80 at night. The freezer is maintaining around zero, but the fridge will go above the safe temperature range to 60 plus. When it cools down outside or the sun isnít beating on the fridge side of the trailer the temperatures will go back to where theyíre supposed to be. Has anyone else experienced this? I have the bulb at the top of the fin where itís supposed to be the coldest setting. If so, what was your cure? I only wish it was possible to reorient the trailer to get it out of the path of the sun.

Iíve been thinking of getting a reflective blanket to Velcro onto the side of the trailer, hoping that it will block some of the heat. I just have to remember to take it down when breaking camp.��
Just one more thing I remembered. The drain hose that exits out of the outside lower vent. It not only drains the water away, it also acts as a P-trap like under the bathroom sink. The P needs to have water sitting in it to prevent the hot outside air from going up the tube and into the fridge. On hot dry days it may not have any or enough water to do that.

Pour some water into the drip tray that sits below the fins inside the fridge. Pour slowly, but continue to pour until you get water coming out of the tube end outside. That's how you'll know the P-trap is as full as it can be.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
What is the location of the fridge thermistor?
Should be on the upper right corner of the fins. Move up to lower temps.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:21 PM   #12

It's likely just the temp in the sleeve behind the fridge. If the real with the fridge is in the sun and it's hot outside as well that chimney gets really hot and the fridge can't keep up. I had the same problem this past weekend. 106 degrees, slight breeze only and fridge wall in the sun all day. I already have fans inside the fridge so I know it's the chimney airflow

I'm ordering some fans and controllers to help airflow.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:18 PM   #13

What is the recommended temp for RV fridge?
Haven't been able to find in manual.
Fulltimerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimerbc View Post
What is the recommended temp for RV fridge?

Haven't been able to find in manual.
What do you mean? Inside temp should be like any other fridge to keep spoilage from happening. Outside temp at the condenser? Not sure but hot is bad

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #15

I have a display outside of fridge that reads between 35 to mid 40's but don't know where it should be for optimal usage?
Fulltimerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:49 PM   #16

Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
What do you mean? Inside temp should be like any other fridge to keep spoilage from happening. Outside temp at the condenser? Not sure but hot is bad
That would be 34-38-F. Any colder wilts the lettuce. Any warmer and the milk doesn't last.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:51 PM   #17

37 degrees is optimal temp for food storage in any refrigerator.
Larry-NC types faster than I do.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:43 AM   #18

We just got back from Lake Powell on our houseboat. It got up to 109 degrees. . Our Dometic fridge worked pretty well. It was overloaded at the start of the 10 day trip, and didn't cool as well. After that it did fine. Milk lasted the entire trip. It even froze the cucumbers in the bottom as we emptied the fridge. I added an outside fan, but have neve needed it. We were parked in the shade of the cliffs, so had shade after 2:30 pm. But it was still hot outside.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:21 AM   #19

LP (absorption) refrigerators work most effectively on -- wait for it! -- LP. Not AC power. If you're already using it on LP interior fans (like those posted earlier) as well as external stack fans will add cooling.

-- Chuck
Old 07-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #20

I agree, when it is really hot we have to run ours on LP vs. 120v to keep it cold enough.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, fridge