Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #1

Fridge not getting cold and leaking

We have a 2020 Rockwood GeoPro G19BH that has a dometic fridge it it. We used to for the first time this past week and it would get cool, but not cold enough to keep the food. We tried adjusting the temp but it didn’t seem to make a difference.
Also we had a spill while in transit and the liquid leaked out the front of the fridge, is this normal? I feel like if the fridge was sealed well it wouldn’t leak out like that?
Nerdygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #2

What is the model number of the refrigerator? I went to the Forest River web site and it looks like you have a 2 way propane/120 volt unit. What was the outdoor temperature? Did you precool the refrigerator for a half day or more before loading with cold food, or did you turn it on at the last minute and possibly put warm food and drink inside? These refrigerators take some time to get down to working temperature.

I would not expect the refrigerator door seal to stop liquid from running out.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #3

Model # rm2551. Outside temp was 100-109. We precooled it for about 24 hours before we put cold food straight from our home fridge into it.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdygirl View Post
Model # rm2551. Outside temp was 100-109. We precooled it for about 24 hours before we put cold food straight from our home fridge into it.
Is it in a slide or against an exterior wall?

Slide out fridges are difficult to keep cool in very hot weather due to the way the air flow needs to make two 90 degree bends. Additionally, the install usually does not provide a smooth air flow and the cooling fans they add in the back may not sufficient in 100 plus weather.

Most folks who camp in extremely hot weather make some modifications to improve the cooling air flow.

Also make sure the thermal temperature sensor is at the TOP of the fins and has not fallen out of the clip. You should see a wire hanging out of it.

You may need to augment the cooling with ice in the lower compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6036.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	233742   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6041.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	233743  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #5

No- the seal does not stop leaks therefore both wife and I double check each other to make sure no one left any open cans in the fridge before leaving.

Being we live in Vegas, we know what it’s like to have hot temps. I didn’t like the temps we were getting out of the fridge either so I installed 3 120mm computer fans- one at the bottom sucking in and two at the top pulling out. I have them direct wired to 12v and leave them on all the time and there are very few times that I am not using the fridge.

Fridge typically stays 32-38 and freezer between -5 and 2.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #6

Fridge is on an exterior wall. We checked and moved the sensor all the way up on day 2 and it didn’t change the temperature at all :/ I’ll probably have to look into the fan option. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Look at my post 19 and you can see what I did for my slide installed Dometic fridge.

The insulation on the side might work for you if you have a pantry there like mine. The top shelves of the pantry got too hot to keep food in and the insulation solved that problem. You will NOT need to install the curve at the top since you are a straight up vent

You can install solar fans up there with one of these:

Or your own:

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #8

How level was the trailer? The refrigerator needs to be very close to level from front to back and side to side. The refrigerant in the refrigerator can not drain back if not level and will not cool down.
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #9

Is the drain hose on the outside of the trailer refrigerator inspection cover pushed though the slots in the inspection cover?
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #10

Are the food contents spaced apart to allow air flow or is everything crammed together? Need air flow to maintain cooling. Just saying........
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #11

The Dometic fridge in my 2011 Georgetown worked fine when that side of the rig was in the shade but, when it was in the sun the fridge never got below 60F. The dealer pulled the fridge and discovered that there was a dead space hollow above the fridge and around an inch clearance on both sides. When that side faced the sun, the hollow spaces acted as a heat trap, making the temperature surrounding the fridge well over 100F. This kept the fridge's internal temperature very high.

The solution to the problem was to fill the voids with fiberglass insulation. This eliminated the problem and the fridge has worked perfectly since then.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, leak