Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #1

Fridge shut off while traveling

I have a 2019 25bds. Everything was working fine on the way up. On the way back fridge wasn’t running on gas. Unit was set to auto. Never had problem before. Once home I tuned fridge on gas only. I can feel the freezer walls getting cold but nothing in fridge. Plenty of gas in tanks. Stove works. Can hear gas running through outside cover.
Usually I start fridge 2 days before leaving on electric. Than auto to gas on road.
Can’t figure it out.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Site Team

Can you tell us the fridge make and model?

Was there an error code or check light on when it wasn't working?
Old 07-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #3

Did you check the slide thermostat inside the refrigerator and make sure it did not move?

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #4

Fridge

I checked the slide thermostat and that was good. No error codes either. Today I gave it another test. Started everything on electric than unplugged trailer after about 2 hours. So 2 hours after that it was still working.
I jumped a curb on that side on the way back from the last trip. Maybe that caused the problem.
So now it’s all good. Thank you for the response.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #5

Similar to ours I bet

We travel with ours on "auto" as well. I have found that when we stop for fuel, turn off propane (as recommended when fueling at pumps), and then turn it back on when done fueling, 80% of the time fridge is off with a flashing warning light on it. I then simply turn the switch off of auto, then back on auto, and all is well once again. Hope this helps for you.
finally retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by finally retired View Post
We travel with ours on "auto" as well. I have found that when we stop for fuel, turn off propane (as recommended when fueling at pumps), and then turn it back on when done fueling, 80% of the time fridge is off with a flashing warning light on it. I then simply turn the switch off of auto, then back on auto, and all is well once again. Hope this helps for you.
If you turn off the gas without turning off the fridge, the ignitor will run for awhile while its trying to light the gas that you turned off. Probably just as dangerous as having a flame going while you are fueling. Just turn off the fridge next time if you think you need to. You also prevent the lines from having to be bled out when you start the fridge again.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
If you turn off the gas without turning off the fridge, the ignitor will run for awhile while its trying to light the gas that you turned off. Probably just as dangerous as having a flame going while you are fueling. Just turn off the fridge next time if you think you need to. You also prevent the lines from having to be bled out when you start the fridge again.
I concur. If you run the fridge the night before you leave, turn it off while traveling, and don’t open it, it will still be cold when you get to your destination. I am literally doing this now. I’ve had so many fuel stops, I can’t turn off every time I pull into a Loves truck stop. I don’t worry about the pilot and DW has her cold fridge. Plus you don’t worry about running the fridge while not LEVEL. I don’t think I was Ever level until I hit Louisiana, but even the East coast has bridges and overpasses that knock you off level.

Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I concur. If you run the fridge the night before you leave, turn it off while traveling, and don’t open it, it will still be cold when you get to your destination. I am literally doing this now. I’ve had so many fuel stops, I can’t turn off every time I pull into a Loves truck stop. I don’t worry about the pilot and DW has her cold fridge. Plus you don’t worry about running the fridge while not LEVEL. I don’t think I was Ever level until I hit Louisiana, but even the East coast has bridges and overpasses that knock you off level.

I actually never turn mine off. Its on all the time.

BTW, while driving, the fridge never has to be level. It can be on the whole time.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I actually never turn mine off. Its on all the time.

BTW, while driving, the fridge never has to be level. It can be on the whole time.
Interesting to know. I’ve read the opposite from a couple RV sources, so not sure which is correct. I do know what has worked well for me though, and keeping it off during my long drives has worked out well, and saved me propane. I’m not sure leaving it on during a 10 hour drive really makes sense for me.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #10

fridge

interesting just today returning from campground and thinking, does the 12 volt system have to be on for the fridge to operate on gas? Well, yes it does.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:18 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

If your battery is low before you start your trip and you are not charging it from the tow vehicle during travel for some reason, you could have insufficient 12 volt DC to operate the gas solenoid.

Check that you are getting solid 13+ volts at the DC terminals of the fridge when running the connected tow vehicle.

You may have a blown fuse or current limiter in the charging line.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, travel